It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESA discover gas "comet structure" spanning 3 million light years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Astronomers have identified a massive "comet" of fiery gas, almost five thousand million times bigger than our solar sytem

The scientists involve describe it has " truly fantastic" and speculate, this could be the raw building blocks for future stars and galaxies.

I'm no astronomer, but this kind of discovery I find utterly fascinating and it enforces for me, the notion that we cannot possibly be alone in the Universe, with such wonderous creation going on around us

External link to full article

[edit on 12-6-2006 by melem]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Interesting discovery, I pulled the paragragh below from the link you provided.
I had no idea that interstellar gas was so hot.

Nicknamed "comet," the gas ball is the largest of its kind ever detected. It measures about three million light-years across, or around five billion times the size of our solar system. The gas is estimated to be about 84 million degrees Fahrenheit (about 46 million degrees Celsius). Although this might seem hot to us, it is still relatively cool compared to some interstellar gas.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Star Trek Voyager episode "One" Anyone?

My god! How facinating. But i just cant get over how much it is reminding me of that voyager episode right now.

Edit: Ok im over it. It's not all that similar, it wasnt exactly Firery or a comet, but hrmm.

This is still absolutely intriguing though.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by ekul08]

d1k

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Ya this was an awesome story. They say it could form it's own galaxy it's so huge but instead it got trapped in the middle of another galaxy. Fascinating stuff.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
Ya this was an awesome story. They say it could form it's own galaxy it's so huge but instead it got trapped in the middle of another galaxy. Fascinating stuff.

It would have to condense itself first (which is unlikely going at that speed), as Galaxies are only formed from Supermassive Black holes.

Back to topic.

That's HUGE. I wonder what it is? perhaps quasar remnants...good find!

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Now that is something remarkable...wish hubble would take a shot of that

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Whooo, that's awesome! As anxiety pointed out, yeah, it is rather hot. Maybe the milky way should settle down in front of the hot gas blob with that giant alcohol cloud for a nice, relaxing little evening. You know, unwind for a while.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by d1k

Especialy when you remind yourself our own galaxy is only about 100000 lightyears across.

So that other galaxy must be frigin HUGE in comparison.

I just love things like this, it shows you just how insignificant we are and how rediculous it is to think that "god" created earth, mankind and the universe and that we're the only people in this universe.

If they'd at least say its posible that the god they refer to is an ancient species of aliens that seeded life on earth, then OK, but god created all and took the time to create mankind all alone on this rediculously small rock? HA that would be rather sadistic XD

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
maybe its a universe inside a universe.

a small big bang happening with in our universe creating another within itself

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
the matrix-

i believe that God created everything, but created the elements and let them take their course.

Is that so hard to believe?

How could you look at something as spectacular as that and not think that there is something larger than all of us?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This thing is five billion times the size of our solar system, that's awesome!

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
And its headed right for EARTH! Armagadon II!!!!! Bruce Willis is back and Earth is in danger AGAIN.

Yeh lets make a movie about it.

new topics

top topics

join