It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giants Ruled The Earth? Is this pic real ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have no idea if this is real or not. Some people believe that Giants once walked on the earth.

I've never seen this picture before... your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It's a sculpture in a wooden box, either having just been transported to it's final location, or about to be loaded onto the train it's leaning against.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thats the Cardiff Giant.

Its a statue, carved from rock, and I beleive soaked in tea of some such to give it an antique look to it.

P.T. Barnum purchased it from the discoverer and used it as part of his traveling show.

That pic is probably of it when its being loaded or unloaded into the train in the background.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Wow, I looked at that pic and it brought back an image in my mind of an old B+W movie I saw many moons ago called "Golom" or "Gollum" or something like that.
Makes me wonder if that pic might be from that movie?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
That would be Golem

In Jewish folklore, a golem (גולם, sometimes [as in Yiddish] pronounced goilem) is an animated being which is crafted from inanimate material.

Taken from Wikipedia

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Bah! Those giants wouldnt stand a chance against a good old Swedish troll. He's about as big as their toes (assuming they have toes).

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
ZOINKS!

Its not the cardiff giant! It certainly looked like it, but i just double checked and its not him!
Below is the cardiff giant. Its pose is very different. Apologies.

www.imakethings.com...

Apparently, from the head site, its called the "Strand Giant" and is from Ireland.
onelight.com...

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Funny thing is I believe in giants, but that was never alive. Look at the hands, you can see how the fingers were carved & only from one side.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
genisis 6:4 the sons of god married the daughters of men. there fore thier genitics mixed

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Giants lived and roamed the Earth.

i bet Undo has a better set of tales that I do...but the best i have found thus far is Angus McCaskill:

Cape Breton's Big Boy jogged down the street with a 300-pound barrel of pork under each arm to the admiring whistles of bystanders. To win a bet with some French sailors he lifted an anchor weighing 2700 pounds to his shoulder and walked down the wharf with it. Barnum exhibited the Giant on tours in the United States and Europe. One day Big Angus McAskill threw a Big Sailor right over a large woodpile.

There was a time when a sick man had to be taken 25 miles through a howling snowstorm. The giant swung him up over his back and carried him to the doctor without once setting him down. Fishermen who couldn't pull their heavily laden boat up on the beach called on Angus for help, and as the Giant pulled on the bow the men decided to play a trick and hauled back. The boat was torn in two in the tug-of-war between the Giant and the fishermen.

www.macaskill.com...

At 7'9" tall, he certainly was a giant.

If you want to find hints of giants, also look into who the Philistines were.

Also, i am looking for a source for some info on ancient indian lore about "Panther people", or something along those lines. They were giants who, when they talked, sounded like panthers. They were large, ate human flesh, and had bones made of "iron" (apparently very resilient). They were also reported to have double rows of teeth, and to be seen eating the rocks in a local riverbed. I read about them once...but can't find any reference now.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

None of what has been said so far in reply to you on your picture here so far has been true
it disappeared read and do research which NO ONE DOES EVEN HERE
YOU ALL DON’T KNOW

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Your photo did remind me of the very old movie "The Golem".

Steve Quayle has a particular take on giants and human history: www.stevequayle.com...

Many interpret the Nephelim of the Hebrew Scriptures to be the progenitors of the gianst meaning that the Nephelim had sexual relations with human females, and the human females gave birth to giants/monsters.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
There are giants called trolsar over 9 feet living in the highlnds of scotland, they were fist spotted by english soldiers looking for rebels during the uprising............ you wont find ny reference online...not everything can be googled..........

go to scotland , and ask to speak to the director of scottish archeological studies at the university of glasgow.......

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Nygdan

You're right it's the Strand Giant.

An article from Strand magazine (December,1895) reprinted in "Traces of the Elder Faiths of Ireland" by W.G. Wood-Martin mentions this fossilized giant discovered during mining operations in County Antrim, Ireland: "Pre-eminent among the most extraordinary articles ever held by a railway company is the fossilized Irish giant, which is at this moment lying at the London and North-Western Railway Company's Broad street goods depot, and a photograph of which is reproduced here. . . This monstrous figure is reputed to have been dug up by a Mr. Dyer whilst prospecting for iron ore in County Antrim. The principal measurements are: entire length, 12ft. 2in.; girth of chest, 6ft. 6in.; and length of arms, 4ft. 6in. There are six toes on the right foot. The gross weight is 2 tons 15cwt.; so that it took half a dozen men and a powerful crane to place this article of lost property in position for the Strand magazine artist. Dyer, after showing the giant in Dublin, came to England with his queer find and exhibited it in Liverpool and Manchester at sixpence, sixpence a head, attracting scientific men as well as gaping sightseers".
source

The statue was created to lend credibility to Biblical stories of the giants. Even after being roundly dismissed as a poor fraud and quite obviously statuary, it's still found on some Creationist websites and used to 'debunk' the Theory of Evolution. Why would anyone want to support their Faith with lies and mistruths??

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There was a giant that lived near Liverpool, England. He was apparently over 9 feet tall. His grave is still in the cemetery next to the pub named after him.

Here lyeth the bodie of John Middleton the Childe of Hale. Nine feet three.” So reads the inscription on the grave in Hale churchyard. John Middleton was born in Hale in 1578. Middleton grew to a height of nine feet and three inches (2.8m), so tall, it is said, that he had to sleep with his feet sticking out of the window of his tiny cottage. Because of his ‘formidable appearance’ Middleton was employed as a bodyguard by a local landlord called Gilbert Ireland.

Source

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
There is indeed a lot of refence in historical texts and ancients writings that a race of giants once inhabited this planet.

There is a very interesting thread here on ATS about this subject which not only provides excellent information, but is a fascinating read aswell.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Its The Antrim Giant

Giants

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
genisis 6:4 the sons of god married the daughters of men. there fore thier genitics mixed

I must agree, the pre-flood world does indicate "man" was larger. Adam was said to be approx 14 feet tall. Giants even continue into early Israel...

Ham's Giants
In his campaign against Sodom and Gomorrah, Elam's King Chedorlaomer attacked and practically annihilated the huge Zamzummim people at Ham. Some archaeologists identify this ancient city of the giants with modern Ham, located in eastern Gilead, about four miles south of Irbid. (See Abraham and the Giants)

Hebron's Giants
Called Kiriath Arba until Caleb took it, Hebron served as the capital city of the numerous Anakim giants who lived in Canaan, particularly in the southern part, at the time of Israel's invasion. The Anakim giants divided into three clans. They were ruled from Hebron by Ahiman, Sheshai, and Talmai, descendants of Arba. (See Canaan's Anakim; Israel's Wars with the Giants)

Horim, or Horites
In the nineteenth century B.C., just before he attacked Sodom and Gomorrah, Elam's Chedorlaomer waged war against the giant Horim who occupied the rough mountain range of Seir. They never fully recovered from that blow, and the Edomites, the descendants of Esau, later displaced those that remained. Some scholars also identify the Jebusites at Jerusalem and the Perizzites of the forested hill country that Ephraim later occupied with the Horim. (See Abraham and the Giants)

www.stevequayle.com...

[edit on 18-1-2009 by heliosprime]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Howdy Heliosprime

Firstly there was no global biblical flood, so that kinda does away with the concept of a "pre-flood" world.

There are lots of stories of giants in many lands and cultures, just as there are of talking animals and odd notions about what the moon is. Stories, folklore and myth don't equal reality.

The bottom line, except for a tendency of humans to call their enemies giants and cannibals - and the odd real humans of large size there is is no archaeological or DNA evidence for a race or races of giants.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Have any true giant skeletons been discovered? And I don't mean some of the fake one's I've seen on youtube or google images. I mean something that would go up in the smithsonian or british museam?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join