It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking on Water!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k

Mentalist? "Magic of the Mind". That doesn't mean anything. You can call me Bill Gates but that still wouldn't make me the richest man on the planet.

What's your point on this comment?

[edit on 12-6-2006 by d1k]

I think his point is that anyone can think up some grandiose name for themselves... it's showmanship and hype. These guys are just illusionists and entertainers. Just because you can't debunk the trick, just by watching a (possibly edited) video-clip does not mean it all isn't just "smoke and mirrors." These guys depend on peoples' gullability.

I love watching these guys... it's not REAL magic, per se, but it's still entertaining. I'd say I probably get just as much a kick out of watching the tricks as I do people's reactions to the tricks. It'll ALWAYS put a smile on my face when I see Blaine, or someone else, walk up to a little girl, perform a trick and watch as her eyes light up in wonder. Priceless.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
LoL! There's no one as blind as the one that doesn't wish to see.

Originally posted by d1k
As I said, there is a shot that shows a good 10 feet above him and many side shots that show no hint of a cable attached to him.

That's when I said this:
Are you saying that there couldn't possibly be a rope/cable longer than 10 feet? Do you expect a 3-inch thick cable dragging him across the water? Many shots... Shouldn't that tell us that there was at least some video editing?

Point is that the illusion is not beyond explanation...No the point is we could go on guessing for hours on what it is and we'll never know but you see no cables and you see not plastic, plexit glass, what ever.

I could actually put in an effort and point out to you how tricks are played and where you should be watching second by second... But that would be... Err... Pointless? No the actual point is that you say Chris Angel has supernatural powers. I say, no it's an illusion, and I've explained how the illusion would work - if I were to do it, i.e. my opinion. You WILL not see a cable or any sort of glass he may be walking on... That's the whole thing about an illusion! Not to reveal your secret! Where is your proof that he has any supernatural powers? There has been hundreds of "magicians" before Chris and there will be many more with much better illusions as technology advances. They don't have superpowers.

You clearly see the bubbles from the girl swimming under him come to the surface

Funny how the surface seems to be several inches below Chris' feet at this stage?

and you clearly see nothing under him from the camera man in the water putting the camera directly underneith him.

Funny that they use a different camera when filming from underneath... A camera with a black frame/circle. Now would that possibly be because they have something to hide (at the sides)?

They have nothing on this Chris Angel. There is no comparison what so ever.

LoL. Harry Houdini just turned in his grave. That is definitely a matter of opinion.

Again I have seen David Blane and again, he has nothing on Chris Angel.

Opinion.

What's your point on this comment?

My point was that you can call him anything, it doesn't mean anything.

Here we have a fellow member that says he witnessed this illusion... Why are you ignoring him? Is the truth just to strange to believe?

Honestly.

d1k

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
I think his point is that anyone can think up some grandiose name for themselves

I actually do not know what he regards himself as. When I said "they" I was referring to other magicians in a documentary I watched on The Discovery channel when they were talking about Chris Angel. I personally have never heard of a magician refereed to as a mentalist before and thought it was strange.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I just checked out Wikipedia and according them, a mentalist is someone who not only is able to observe a 'hidden' spiritual reality, like a psychic, but is also able to act and manipulate things in that reality.

But I've also heard him call himself an illusionist... so which is it? The two terms are not interchangable, by ANY stretch of the imagination.

ADDENDUM: Further, Wiki explains that "mentalism" is also the APPARENT ability to influence the spiritual reality as a stagecraft... that is, the illusion that one is able to "read minds, fortell the future, or see objects far away and/or hidden."

[edit on 12-6-2006 by firebat]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
That was so cool is this guy for real or wut..... I would have crapped myself if I saw anybody do that
(little alien I hinks)

d1k

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
LoL! There's no one as blind as the one that doesn't wish to see.

roflmaoomgwtfbbq. K dude I honestly don't know what you're trying to prove here, you just keep regurgitating the same thing over and over. There is nothing to see as in you see nothing in this video. Why do you keep trying to prove you do?

That's when I said this:
Are you saying that there couldn't possibly be a rope/cable longer than 10 feet? Do you expect a 3-inch thick cable dragging him across the water? Many shots... Shouldn't that tell us that there was at least some video editing?

And even repeating it it still does not make any sense what so ever.

I could actually put in an effort and point out to you how tricks are played and where you should be watching second by second... But that would be... Err... Pointless?

ummm no it wouldn't, please do. In fact it would be much better you actually pointing something substantial out then just babbling on like you are.

No the actual point is that you say Chris Angel has supernatural powers. I say, no it's an illusion, and I've explained how the illusion would work - if I were to do it, i.e. my opinion. You WILL not see a cable or any sort of glass he may be walking on... That's the whole thing about an illusion! Not to reveal your secret! Where is your proof that he has any supernatural powers? There has been hundreds of "magicians" before Chris and there will be many more with much better illusions as technology advances. They don't have superpowers.

The not human comment was a joke. But I do believe this guy is doing something no one else knows how to do and he is by far leaps and bounds beyond any of his peers.

Funny how the surface seems to be several inches below Chris' feet at this stage?

You need to watch the video again. As already stated yes he is stepping into the water but the bubbles from the swimmer are reaching the surface.

Funny that they use a different camera when filming from underneath... A camera with a black frame/circle. Now would that possibly be because they have something to hide (at the sides)?

Actually that would be the underwater camera, you know, made to operate underwater.

LoL. Harry Houdini just turned in his grave. That is definitely a matter of opinion.

Harry Houdini was more of an escape artist then anything.

Opinion.

One that is shared by most of the Magician profession.

David Blane and Chris Angel are totally different acts.

My point was that you can call him anything, it doesn't mean anything.

I didn't call him anything, read what I said.

Here we have a fellow member that says he witnessed this illusion... Why are you ignoring him? Is the truth just to strange to believe?

Read what he said, he said he witnessed another act, by different people walking across water in which the audience was in on it.

d1k

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
I just checked out Wikipedia and according them, a mentalist is someone who not only is able to observe a 'hidden' spiritual reality, like a psychic, but is also able to act and manipulate things in that reality.

But I've also heard him call himself an illusionist... so which is it? The two terms are not interchangable, by ANY stretch of the imagination.

ADDENDUM: Further, Wiki explains that "mentalism" is also the APPARENT ability to influence the spiritual reality as a stagecraft... that is, the illusion that one is able to "read minds, fortell the future, or see objects far away and/or hidden."

Reading your quote now I honestly believe he's both a mentalist and illusionist. It's clear he can do things his peers cannot. We can argue here all day how he does, people can claim they are just mere tricks but no one truly knows. IMO the things he does are so beyond what anyone else can do there has to be something more then just simple illusions and tricks, but we'll never know.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Granted, none of us truly know and that's where we have to leave it, ultimately.

One thing I find hilarious about the guy is when he does a trick, like lighting himself on fire or whatever, and afterwards, he runs around the stage screaming like a madman; "look how badass I am!." It's quite amusing... just the whole BLACK thing.... I dunno. I like his tricks but his act is sometimes pretty cheesy-- the black leather, the makeup etc... like I said, it's hilarious. At least Blaine adds a touch of mystery to his shtick... or it may just be the heroin.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by firebat]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I must point out, this act i saw was also televised on Channel 4 in a Show by Illusionists, entitled "Dirty Tricks".
We had to sign an agreement that we would not reveal how this was done.....oops.

Here is another Illusionist.

Illusion Walking on Water

This guy makes no bones about it being 'Smoke and Mirrors' and his is even better than Chris Angels

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have seen all his recent new shows and I agree with the person that said angel is not normal. I think that there is definatley something he knows that no one else does.

What about when he seperated the woman on the park bench? Or when he cut himself in half with a saw? The two seperate parts continue to move. And the woman even walks away on her hands. (crazy stuff) me and my wife were flipping our wigs.

How about the chain? he wraps a thick chain around his neck twice and has two guys hold the ends. then he just steps out of it like it wasnt on his neck. I have slowed this down with my dvr and it looks amazing.

anyone seen the wood chipper bit? That was a trippy stunt too!

how can he pick up a frisbee without touching it and throw it to someone. (all without touching it)

He has levitated from one building to another for crying out loud. So whoever said that he used his toes or feet to come off the ground is retared. Plus criss angel levitates a few feet in the air not 6 inches.

He walks up and down walls.

I seen him get covered by a trash can on the street then all of a sudden appear on top of a huge building, all in the blink of an eye.

Some of his tricks are like nothing anyone has ever done before. People keep trying to explain the things he does by examples of old magicians like Buluci but the fact is they are so diifferent. Bulu levitates a couple inches in the air while angel levitates a few feet or more and floats to another building.

He doesnt just do illusions. Its mind over matter, like when he puts huge hooks in his skin and dangles from a helicopter by only the hooks in his skin.

Simply put! MY guess is either human with powers we dont know about, not human,

or the antichist. (i dont believe in the antichrist)

But the bible says that the antichrist will be a good speaker and wow the public first right?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Man, this guy is good!

There is one point at which someone DOES appear to cross directly infront of him its at 1:12/2:34. She almost gets hit in the head with his leg, or so it looks from that angle(angles are important in these tricks I assume.)

However this guy pulls it off is beyond me. Simply amazing stunt

[edit on 12-6-2006 by TONE23]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I didn't have a point dk. You took my post - which was light-hearted - and ran with it. I explained my OPINION. I am familiar with illusions thus I found it meaningful to voice my OPINION. Do yourself a favour and read a proper book on magic and illusions. I'm really not this interested in debating an illusion, I just like having the last word.

-

Posted Via ATSmobile (BETA v0.3)

-

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Take a translucent plastic that has the same refractive index as water. When you put it in water, it disappears. Set up a number of supports in pool made from this material. Get the audience in on it, and bam... you've got yourself a great looking TV illusion.

If anyone has seen the video of him explaining the levitating, you can clearly see this guy is an illusionist. These are tricks, not real magic.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
From the perspective of applied Physics, if one controls and manages (aims) the direction of all the atomic particles in one's body to the extent that "gravity" becomes mostly nullified by centrifugal forces and the body becomes lighter than water; and the only issue remaining is "balance on a slippery surface," it would account for his deliberate and careful steps.

Other than some arcane Physics explanation encompassing "mind over matter," I don't know how this could possibly be done. Just one more thing I don't know.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If you think back thru time, most of these "illusions" are just different variations of older stunts. These modern guys just use modern means to make the tricks more grandiose.

I have to say that Blaine amazed me with allot of his stuff but Chris Angel is a bit better IMO. He is a "mentalist" and an "illusionist". He also studies muscle and facial movements and expression to aid in "reading" people.

The bigger illusions are obviously a trick of some sort but I have yet to figure out how the man can float from building top to building top or cover himself with a blanket in the middle of a field and just vanish. I saw the one where he has the two guys pull the chain apparently thru his neck but that was obviously because of the way he wrapped it around his neck and I can do that one but then he proceeds to step thru a plate glass window and totally blows me away again! Or when he picks a taxi cab completely up off the ground at his small stature. I thought well maybe the cab was specially designed with the engine in the rear but the front end would still have enormous weight.

I would love to know how he does this stuff but I also know that he has some true mental skills and he has obviously studied not only human nature but how to read people very well.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
If you think back thru time, most of these "illusions" are just different variations of older stunts. These modern guys just use modern means to make the tricks more grandiose.

I have to say that Blaine amazed me with allot of his stuff but Chris Angel is a bit better IMO. He is a "mentalist" and an "illusionist". He also studies muscle and facial movements and expression to aid in "reading" people.

Blaine does the same thing. He could also be considered a mentalist and an illusionist. That, in itself, involves "studying muscle and facial movements and expression to aid in reading people" which Blaine does.

Angel has some pretty wild tricks... but I like Blaine better because he acts like it's no big deal... he seems a tad more realistic it's kinda lame when he does his levitation... "ok, I might fall... but lemme just try this... catch me if I fall, okay?" It's always a little over the top when he's doing that trick.... but other tricks, he'll pull them off leaving a stunned person in awe of what he/she just saw... and Blaine just stares back at them like he's looking into their soul.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You are absolutely correct about Blaine doing the same mentalist thing. I guess my post made it seem I thought different.

The thing that bothers me about Blaine is that I believe he thinks his audience is not very bright. For example, when he stood inside the ice igloo. Yes he did stretch the limits of endurance but anyone that has any brains at all will tell you that the ice was almost acting as an insulator for him and as long as he doesn't rub against or touch the walls, it's not all that bad in there. If it was, Eskimo's wouldn't build igloos to live in.

Conversely, Angel actually gives people video equipment to film him themselves. I believe he has to go that little bit extra to pull things off.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Audience members were paid to scream and be in awe as David Blaine walked on water. It's an optical illusion on TV as they used CGI (computer graphics interface) to hide the thin platform beneath him.

First rule of magic - if you can't hide it, make sure the people who can see are in on it and are trustworthy enough to keep their mouths firmly shut.

I think there will be some Christians who would be mighty offended by that.
IMO it looks good and does no harm so keep it up. But its not real.

Now if it was custard, I'd believe he could walk on that.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I would guess that it is probably a suspended plastic mesh that disappears in the water, this would allow the give that appears as he steps and allow anyone underwater to look up and not see the supporting mesh and still allow people to swim underneath. If bubbles went up they would not disturb the path of the bubbles enough to give away the appearance of the suspended mesh. Lighting would also have been a factor. With close up magic you have to be very careful about directing the viewers eyes to where you want them to look. Even if the people in the pool were not in on it, they could have been fooled if they looked in the right directions.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
You know in the Bible when it says Jesus walked on water. Well could it be that this isn't a miracle after all? Could Jesus have been watching magic videos?

Seriously if you ever wanted to help kick start a new religion maybe this guy’s “trick” could have come in handy 2000 years ago?

I'm not quite sure about whether I believe in Jesus or not. I am quite sure about an after life and a god(s) because of some of the core paranormal evidence we have. But I'm pretty convinced that the bible is good on paper (and mostly paper alone).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join