It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Can't Follow Own Guidelines On Identification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
A retired New York police officer successfully used a Mexican-issued form of identification, a Matricula Consular ID card, to enter DHS headquarters for the purpose of attending a meeting. The card was an obvious fake, with numerous errors, but despite those glaring irregularities, the former officer has used it for years to test security on airlines and at various government buildings.

www.washingtontimes.com

The Department of Homeland Security allowed a man to enter its headquarters last week using a fake Matricula Consular card as identification, despite federal rules that say the Mexican-issued card is not valid ID at government buildings.

Bruce DeCell, a retired New York City police officer, used his phony card -- which lists his place of birth as "Tijuana, B.C." and his address as "123 Fraud Blvd." on an incorrectly spelled "Staton Island, N.Y." -- to enter the building Wednesday for a meeting with DHS officials.

Mr. DeCell said he has had the card for four years and has used it again and again to board airliners and enter government buildings, without being turned down once. But he said he was surprised that DHS, the agency in charge of determining secure IDs, accepted it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, if this doesn't beat all. Kudos to the retired cop, he's doing a great service by demonstrating just how ineffective all this security really is. It doesn't matter how many consultants you retain, it doesn't matter how many proposals you consider, and it certainly doesn't matter how much money you spend. If you can't insure employee compliance with the rules, your hands are tied.

Even going beyond the problem of finding good help, one has to consider that where there's a will, there's a way. Reducing the will of the terrorists is the key, I believe. All the walls and guards and databases and domestic spying in the world won't help if our foreign policy creates armies of malcontents. The best way to insure your safety is to treat people with the utmost respect and guard your vitals (water, food, power, transport). None of which have been buttoned up since 9/11.

Even if by some miracle you prevent their access to hard targets like government buildings, they'll switch to soft targets, like schools and hospitals and concerts and so forth - and the end result will be the same. The DHS has a lot of explaining to do regarding this incident, regardless of the larger context in place.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 12-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Let us not forget that in addition to being unable to provide reliable physical plant security, the DHS is also miserable at cyber-security.

Link

I think it's safe to say that if an agency can't get their own ducks in a row, they're probably incapable of teaching others to do so. Basically, the teacher doesn't appear to know the material well enough.

Would you take Kung-Fu lessons from someone with only a passing knowledge of martial arts, and no demonstrated ability? Of course not.

Mod Edit: Fixed Link.

[edit on 12/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so hard on DHS here as the problem is with the security guard who let the man enter, not with DHS. If, as he says, he has used the card illegally for about 4 years, then there are a lot of lax security guards around. This is not a new problem at all, I once entered a Special Compartmented Information Facility using the label off a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes as an ID.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Clearly, the DHS just needs more money to solve this problem.

[/sarcasm]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
lmao at Nygdan reply.

Yea I think its safe to say that you get what you pay for. Stop trying to stiff everyone when it comes to money and you may get better service.

Of course maybe its just the fact that they aren't worried about security because they know something we dont. Maybe they arent worried about security because there is no real threat and they know it. (for conspiracy types out there lol
)

[edit on 12-6-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I can understand an expired ID slipping by the guard, but "123 Faux Blvd., Tijiuana, B.C."

It's madness when pubs are more dilligent about checking IDs than the agency responsible for national security. Wanna know why? Because pub owners are held accountable when they screw up, they face fines, suspensions, even permanent loss of their right to conduct business.

The form of ID used wasn't even allowed, nevermind one that was so obviously fake. Can I get into Groom lake with my Federal Breast Inspector card?

The DHS was a bad idea from day one. It's the agency equivalent of shuffling papers on your desk to avoid doing the work that might actually tidy things up. Re-arranging is fine, when it's not a symptom of procrastination.

If efficiency and accountability had been improved by this metamorphosis, the whole country would be cheering - but that's not the case.

new topics

top topics

join