It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salesains vs Jesuits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I was cruizing the boards and looking at all of the speculation revolving around the issue of the Jesuits. I did some searching and look here:

The Jesuits were founded in 1540 and are the worlds largest relgious order. They contain 19,850 members.

Source : www.catholic-hierarchy.org...

While the Salesains were founded in 1859 and have already become the worlds thrid largest relgious order within the Catholic Church with 16,682 members world wide with an influence growing still. They are the most rapid growing relgious orginization in the Catholic Church especially with their Third order system which allows lay people to become members of the Salesain Society.

Source: www.catholic-hierarchy.org...

While the third order concept has been around for years with many other groups the Salesians have grown faster than any other with it.

Last year when the cardinals met to elect the new pope one of the Salesains was actualyl up for papacy which is very rare for a relgious order priest to be that far in the hierichy.

Their entire minstry has been devoted to helping out teh youth and they are opening schools all over the US and world to educate children where it cant be done and where families just do not have the money to aford education.

They have already become one of the most profitable relgious orders barely rivaled by the jesuits in their funds. They have the man power, the control of youth, the money and the power to do something. I think they are worth a look as they are so overshadowed by the jesuits.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Interesting, and good points.

Everyone focuses on the Jesuits, who like the freemasons are often demonized and accused of just about everything. But personally, I dont see anything bad about the Jesuits. They are scholars and I think desperately needed by the church.

The funny thing is, Ive never heard of these Salesains before now. Of course Im not that familiar with catholic orders and such, so I really cant say much.

But if they have that much power and influence, its worth looking at.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yeah, there are some private schools where i live ruled by Salesians; from what i know its not really everyone that has financial power to put kids in those schools. Nice finding by the way.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by MikePhil]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
i don't believe that it really matters whether or not one order has more power or numbers than the other. I am currently discerning a vocation in either the jesuits or the salesains. I have spent a good amount of time with both of the orders and have found them to be a group of great guys. As long as they are doing God's work, that is all that matters.

Every order has it's own charism, yes the Jesuits are intellectuals, but their main charism is education and social justice.

Orders only become shadowed by others when you wish to seem them as being shadowed by a particular order.

BTW, why is this under the "Secret Societies" folder? both of the orders are not secret and have nothing ot hide.

- AMDG
- BVMH
- Tatum Pax

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Yes, the Jesuits are generally considered the scholars and intellectuals, but not necessarily spiritual, but I can think of two exceptions to that -- the late Fr. Malachi Martin and Fr. Mitch Pacwa -- both very learned and spiritual.

The Salesians seem to focus on youth education and vocational skills training. St. John Bosco was from this order.

The Alexians are known for their work in the medical profession.

Other orders (off the top of my head):
Dominicans
Benedictines
Franciscans
Oblates
Passionists
Marianists
Cistercians
Carthusians

Some orders are dying off, perhaps from redundancy.

top topics

join