It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden City Underneath Adelaide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by eggman
Adelaide is proof that Tasmanian's can swim

Please don't steal our joke, that is originally about Melbourne.

Originally posted by gizzey
Most towns/cities have underground tunnels and bunkers..Though on the outskirts of Adelaide there is an Opal mining town called Coober Pedy and most of it is still underground. It was built underground due to the intense heat. Due to its close proximity to Adelaide I would imagine, before the invention of air-conditioning, that parts of Adelaide were also built underground. To ensure the survival of it's residents against to the harsh climate.

Coober Pedy is nowhere near the outskirts of Adelaide. It is 735km (455 miles) north, about the same distance as Melbourne. And I assure you, it is much hotter there then it is here.

This is an amazing story. I've always presumed there would be something underground (as I believe there is in every major city), but this is the first real information I've heard about it. Thanks for posting!

I know for a fact there is a tunnel from General Motors Holden to the RAAF base at Edinburgh. There is a "hanger" under Holdens from WWII, apparently to stash aircraft and such in the event of an attack. I used to work at Holdens, and the supervisors there were well aware of it, and openly admitted it.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I work at the adelaide magistrates courts and there are tunnels under the building.. I dont know what they were used for but they are not for transporting prisoners.. although if u do go in the courthouse there is a glass square just past the security gates looking down to the tunnels.. I have also heard that there is an enterance to the tunnels via the room next to the JPs' office in the building but might be hard to get someone to let u go down..

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
me and a few mates went tunnel hunting a few nights ago and found what looks like an entrance but was welded and looked reinforced too stop people going in it was up a few side streets across the road from Pasadena foodland need the winery, not too sure whats behind it but i suspect by the height of the entrance an old railway or stormwater not too sure it was about 14ft high if any one got more info on that much appreciated,

also we found some other entrance too something once again it was well secured, it was near a old pump shed need poofter park. we are going too go searching through the hills areas soon in placed like blackwood and belair so if anyone knows of tunnels there we will go hunting and take a look

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
TextHave recently been into the bar at the Medina Grand on Victoria Square, went down into the tunnels in the basement, seems to be a few connections that have metal plates covering them that could no doubt lead into lower tunnels.
I heard something about a section of the GPO used to be used as a Gaol in 1840's or 50's and the current Town Hall used to be the Court House and that the tunnels (via the Treasury ) were where the prisoners were taken, instead of walking across KW St ?
And then there is also the tunnels found between the Governor's House & Parliment House when they widening KW St while building the Festival Theatre in '73

Googled "Adelaide Tunnels", came up with this file - www.history.sa.gov.au/chu/programs/history_conference/DebMorganPaper.pdf

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The tunnel near the edge of the Torren and Elder Park was put in place to walk the Military horse to the water to drink, my family have been involved with the Army for a long time and recollect this.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
To all non-Adelaideans, forgive my seemingly war-like brother's for their defensive stance for they are merely loyal South Australians with good intentions.
South Australia was unique in Australia, being the only non convict settlement in the entire continent.
That is not to say that it was a safe place to live. It was a European style society with all the accompanying elements.
Pirates are reported to have operated from Kangaroo Island attacking incoming shipping and by the early 1900's Adelaide possessed it's own warship (The Protector) for local waters and the coastline was protected by Forts With large cannons always pointing seaward.
When ships docked after 6 month voyages around the horn (Africa) from Europe entire crews would jump ship at Port Adelaide and press gangs worked collecting new crews by force.
When the burnt-out Clubhouse Hotel in Port Adelaide was being rebuilt in the 1970s, one of the remaining walls had an old fireplace that had been sealed. Thinking it may be reusable they opened it only to find stone steps leading down to a number of tiny stone cells with iron bars. From the cells an underground tunnel led under a road and emerged in the side of a wharf. unruly patrons were drugged with a 'Mickey Finn' (a local term for a spiked drink) taken to the cells, and held for the press gangs to transfer via longboat to a waiting ship anchored at Outer Harbour.
The poor drinker would wake up at sea and given the choice to swim or work.
Port Adelaide Exists on two levels;
1.The original settlement.
2.The settlement post Jervois Bridge construction.

1. The first settled area had wharves and jettys
2. When planning for the construction of The Jervois Bridge to connect both sides of The Port River to the coast Town planners raised the height of St Vincent Street to accommodate the bridge's entrance ramp. This placed some of the main shops below the level of the street and as the road became macadamised and bitumised, the surface rose even higher in some places obscuring shop-fronts from the sun. Eventually buildings were extended upwards and first floor were connected directly to the roadside.
Since none of the original levels had electricity they were abondoned and often forgotten.
The point is Adelaide has many tunnels that are still being un-earthed. At the present tours are conducted through some of the better known tunnels by the historical society.see link.

www.about-australia.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ArchangelOfCool

I thought i had uncovered one of the underground tunnels to Adelaide's city in my backyard the other day. Turned out i burst a water pipe and got fined $500

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
There is no underground "city" in(or under) Adelaide.

All that exists is a few tunnels that link certain buildings and areas, and they served a purpose once upon a time. These tunels are not interconnected.

They are no big secret at all either.
They used to offer tours to the public of some of the tunnels in the city.

Anything that might be going on will be, or would have been going on, in and around Woomera and other remote outback locations. And what would have been going on what might be going on, would be related to the military research and development of weapons. For example the DSTO were testing some new bombs or missiles with an FA18 once out somewhere in the Woomera exclusion zone.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
i belive there are many underground tunnels..
and i also belive that our government has something to hide. why are they blocked off and unervalable to the public is a big"secret" well im highly eager and curious to find and explore these tunnels wich i am. if any one is intersted please fell free to reply to me .

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Here is a video of an underground drain/tunnel that was supposed to have a link to an old ww2 tunnel that ran from a old school in melbourne that was used by the US military..

i have explored it and may have found where it was bricked up, but not too sure...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nasrin25
i belive there are many underground tunnels..
and i also belive that our government has something to hide. why are they blocked off and unervalable to the public is a big"secret" well im highly eager and curious to find and explore these tunnels wich i am. if any one is intersted please fell free to reply to me .

I'm quite sure that if you call up the relevant government department and/or council, and ask what tunnels exist, and if & why they are blocked, you will get a straight answer.

Unfourtunately there is no conspiracy on this.
They are just tunnels that were used for various purposes over the years. The existence and reasons for these tunnels are not secret. In most cases it is just a single tunnel connecting A to B. There is no vast network of tunnels or underground rooms.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

My ex's grandfather was a reporter for that gutter trash publication called the Advertiser and he told me that there was a tunnel he used to used which linked the courts with the Advertiser building. He would use this as it was faster to get back to the office and write up the days court events.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12
In most cases it is just a single tunnel connecting A to B. There is no vast network of tunnels or underground rooms.

There actually is a network of connected tunnels under the city. Under the courthouse, under the Police station, all under Victoria Square and King William Road, Adelaide University and the Hospital, etc etc.

Remember that Adelaide was a planned city. There's even tunnels all the way to Norwood that long street there (sorry forget whats its called havent lived in Adelaide for five years now).

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I think you are refering to the parade or Willam st.......

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

(My name is James, im 21 and i live in Adelaide)

This is my first post on these forums and will probably be my last, i was just randomly searching the web when i came across this site anywayz..

My father use to work for a rubbish removal company, if you must know, his job was to deliver rubbish bins, big ones we are talking about, hed deliver them anywhere domestic locations, industrial and ever commercial. Anyway about nine/ten years ago he was asked to deliver a bin to a construction site in the city, i cant remember exactly where it was but they were building a new huge multi story building, you know apartments or an office building whatever i dont know.

Anyways one area of the huge site was being cleared (for the new building) and located in the dirt of this area was large rec tangled concrete slab, about 5 or 6 workers were all standing around and all confused about this because on all their site plans etc, the huge slab didnt exist, and it should have been shown.

Thats when my dad walked over to see what was happening, because he got along with the workers. Anyways one of the workers told my dad that they had no idea what the huge slab was, so they called the site supervisor, my dad also knew him, and the supervisor was also very confused cause he checked all the plans etc and their was nothing...at this point everyone was very confused, so the supervisor decided to move the slab and see what was under it, (i dont know how they moved it but they did).

Anyway when they moved it slightly they discovered a hole appeared, so they removed it completely and discovered the entire hole, the hole was well over 10 feet deep and very wide, like you could fit maybe two or three cars in their side by side ( Im not saying here it was built for cars, you get me).

Anyways a couple of workers somehow went inside (my father didnt go in) and as they looked around, it was a tunnel, a dead straight tunnel, leading in both directions, and in either direction you could not see the end, it just went in a straight line as far as you could see until it went black with darkness, ( by the way they had torches, big ones lol), also i forgot to mention just inside where they jumped in, like just under the slab bit, they found old furniture, like very old chairs and tables etc, just sitting there.....then a couple of mintues later after listening to what the guys were doing inside the tunnel and yelling out to everyone, my dad had to leave and get back to work.

My dad returned there a few days later, to pick up the bin he delivered on the day they found the tunnel, and asked them what happened after he left, the supervisor said that they took the table and chairs out, they just covered back up the hole with the slab or a new slab i cant remember. But the supervisor said they DIDNT go exploring or anything down the tunnel, it wasn't their business, their business was to continue working.

Anyways yea thats it, i thought some of you guys might find this interesting, but yea im pretty sure it wasnt a underground city or anything like that haha, but yea it basically was just a huge tunnel, which was in a perfect straight line, and you couldnt see the end it was that long, it just went to a point of darkness. Also a very important thing to mention is their was like no graffiti or trace of anything new, hence nobody had been down their for a very long time.

I wrote this in a bit of a rush, sorry if some parts dont make sense.

And i probably wont be coming back to this site, however if anyone wants anymore details or anything, like the tunnel location ( the building its under ) ill ask my dad next time i see him, he will remember, we've spoken about it a couple of times since it happened, you can e mail me on this account,

[email protected]

That e mail is active, im always using it for work etc.

Thats it, thanks

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

where ever you are from, we could count your teeth and see where inbred ingrates hang-out

rookie

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
How nice to see so many fellow Adelaidians on here, I am suprised that such a small city for which anyone outside of Australia can be forgiven for not knowing has so many people on ATS.

I worked in the town hall, Queens chambers and have seen the tunnels which went from there to the courts. Like other posters just part of history. There are no underground railways here either for whoever posted that.

But in reply to the OP and the title, hidden city underneath Adelaide....please.

Far out, there is barely a city above ground in Adelaide, even post 2 who said, where is Adelaide proves it, the russians will have never heard of it, it has no impact on the chinese, it is as far away from any action and as least of a threat as anywhere in the southern hemisphere, there are barely enough people to populate the city let alone an underground one too.

Adelaides parklands which surround the city are all the size of a 'zeroed' rifle of the time, so anyone breaking cover from the edge of the parkland would have been in immediate range and in the killing field. So the city was built with defence in mind, makes sense to have a few tunnels to move people around but not a city..

Its just like the tabloids...sensationalism
edit on 10-1-2011 by MisterBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
reply to post by Cynic

where ever you are from, we could count your teeth and see where inbred ingrates hang-out

rookie

I dont get it?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Mmm...

Any stories of underground tunnels/cities in Brisbane?

I work in a building which is pretty much ontop of Central Station.

I work on "Basement 1" which is aprox ground level. B2 is horribly in between that, and B3 is on level with the train tracks. There's a B4 button.

My card doesnt work for B4....

Now to think of it, i dont think ive heard or know of anyone who's been down to B4.

Maybe there's some tunnel entrances there

In reality tho, unless i can befriend one of the security guards and ask about it - and perhaps get taken downstairs, i dont think i'll be able to get there. After hours, if doors are opend, they get alarms, and they do come down to check.

Will be far more inclined to do more than just ponder about it if there is something which points to mebee old tunnels etc being around - other than the more obviosus fact that its sitting on a Subway.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JimmyMan

So what building was it? Location/address?
There haven't been that many buildings go up in the CBD so it wont be too hard to confirm or debunk your story. We haven't had a building boom like SE Queensland.
Not that I'm accusing you of lying, I know quite a few people involved in the building industry who have worked on most of the new buildings that have gone up(like I said, not many new ones).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join