It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you think someone is intending to get you banned........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
......are you meant to just put them on 'ignore'?

What is considered permissable arguement, by that I mean if I feel that someone is baiting me on purpose and call them out as doing that, is that ok?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If someone is "baiting" you into anything more than a civil debate, most certainly, "ignore" them. Never let someone drag you down to their own level. There is a noteable difference between debate and an argument. A debate is based upon civil discourse with a logical progression of examples and evidence that support "your side". An argument, on the other hand, is nothing more than an adolescent, self-centered, demand for attention.

Of course, it is difficult to ever change anyone's mind with either a debate or an argument. At least in a debate, one can walk away knowing that he was able to say "what needed to be said" , in defense of one's position. And, like gentlemen, to "agree to disagree". An argument, on the other hand, usually deteriorates to the point where the essence of the argument evolves into personal attacks and name-calling.

Remember, "baiting" only works if you actual "take the bait" and respond in kind. Don't go there.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Remember, "baiting" only works if you actual "take the bait" and respond in kind. Don't go there.

Hence the reason why i quit fishing

Just remain level headed. And remember, you are entitles to your own oppinions...but not yoru own facts.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Remember this: No one can "get you banned". People get themselves banned by their own actions. Stay above it and press on. If someone is really baiting you, they'll ultimately do something at some point to get themselves banned.

Just my .02.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Cheers for replies. I meant more that 'trying to get me banned' as in calling me a troll in response and adding nothing else but that comment, when all my responses had been attempts to get some reasoned answers and explanations - I got the impression that if I had called them a troll back in that same way that I would have been banned and they'd still be posting.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If someone is attacking another member (calling names, etc), it's against ATS's Terms and Conditions. Use the little "Ideas/Complain" button to alert the staff of any suspected impropriety and let them decide. Be sure to leave the thread url and explain what you think needs attention. They'll make a decision on it and handle it.

The Ignore function. I have never used it. It is my opinion that if I can resist responding in kind to someone who is taunting me, then I win. If I have to resort to the Ignore button, it means (to me) that I'm not strong enough to control myself and my emotions. But that's just me. And honestly, I probably would have been better off a time or two to just use it. I've certainly been tempted.

So, if you think you need to put someone on 'ignore' because you're too tempted to respond in kind, use it. That's what it's for. You can always take them off ignore when you have calmed down.

And as yeahright said, only you can get you banned.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't like to use the Ignore, I've only ever used it once ages ago on another site on a really persistent psycho.

Again thanks, but what I am getting at here is that - what if you did what the other person you feel is baiting you did, and you got banned for doing nothing different from them? In that case you wouldn't have gotten yourself banned, unless they were banned along with you for the same reason! still even then you wouldn't have gotten yourself knowingly banned (which may apply to them too).

Some places let people go off at other folk, and some don't allow that. Many have some complicated system of multiple-standards.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The best thing to do in a situation like the one you are describing is to report it to the staff using the Ideas/Complain button. Make sure you put a link to the thread in which the problem is occurring as well.

The one thing you absolutely do not want to do is respond to baiting. Only bad things can come of this. That is exactly what the person is hoping that you'll do because then you look like the fool not him.

Stay above things like that. If it's a one time deal of someone being a pain in the rear, ignore it. If it's getting ridiculous, report it.

The staff reviews each and every item submitted via the Ideas/Complain button, I can personally vouch for that, and baiting is not tolerated.

Most of all, never feel like there's no one around to back you up.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
ed 209

You raise some very direct questions for a new member...

May I bring your attention to our policy of banned once, banned forever.

I suggest you U2U me.

Topic closed.

new topics

top topics

join