It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death by air?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hey all, I just saw The Omen the other day and it made me wonder, how can air being injected in the blood stream kill you? I saw it on that movie and on The Ring 2. I saw in the omen it sped up the womans heartbeat. but why?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Air pockets in the bloodstream can cause heart failure and strokes.

Strokes usualy because the veigns in your brain are generaly miniscule and the presure of a gas in them pushing against the brain can be rather deadly, not to mention that the veigns can rupture.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Im pretty sure it causes a blockage, like a stroke or heart attack. So no oxygen can get to your brain.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
ok thanks a lot for the quick responses, but why does it work so fast? or is that the movie exagerating?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
nevermind, i read it on wikipedia. Why did this forum get moved to movies? its a science topic i was just stating that it happened in two particular movies.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It depends on where the bubbles go really.
But a large air injection into your bloodstream gets trough your system in a rather short time.

The Wikipedia page is talking about accidental insertion of air into the system, which usualy happens in small amounts.

Your talking about a forced gas injection with a seringe which will spread humongous air bubles trough your system compared to the accidental methods of it happening.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yeah i wondered that myself.it messed up my post too..

Says death uncommon from injected air anyway.Movies always like to egg-saturate

Real problem comes from mid operation and the risk of blood flow interuption to the brain

I like the''smileys'' here better though

:w:

new topics

join