It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
does any one know why i cant run my disk cleanup it says it has encountered a problem and needs to close,i have windows xp.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I found an article that might help solve your problem:

Disk cleanup issue

External source: Tom
A corrupt temporary file can often cause the disk cleanup utility to hang.

Tom suggests to clean your temp files and cache, run defrag and then reboot to solve the problem.

Here is another link that may be of assistance:

www.windowsitpro.com...

Hope that helps.

[edit on 10/6/06 by Thaumaturgus]

[edit on 10/6/06 by Thaumaturgus]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
How much memory does your computer have?

My second thoughts would be to defragment your hard drive, then try the disk cleanup when the defragmenting is finished. May take a while depending on disk size, and amount of fragmentation.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
First thoughts are a file is corrupt, so you can manually attempt to do the disk clean up.

Go to the path:

C:/WINDOWS/Temp

Delete everything in this window.

C:/WINDOWS/Prefetch

Delete everything in this window.

Now attempt the Disc Clean Up.

If it fails; you ca try Optimizing IE.

Control Panel : Internet Options

Delete Cookies, Delete Files, etc. you need to do in this window. If you need more information with the optimizing of IE, please ask I would be happy to share it if you need it.

Try the Disc Cleanup again.

If it is still failing, I would try in Safe Mode. If your not familiar with safe mode, all you need to do is tap on F8 while the system is booting up. It will bring you to the Windows Advanced Options Menu.

Select Safe Mode and then your version of windows (which is already pre-selected) and now your system will boot up with only the essentials. No third party software is running. So if the clean up will work now, indications are that it is third-party software on the system which is causing the clean up to fail.

Trial and error with your System config now would repair this issue.

Start : Run : msconfig : OK

Go to Services and then Start up.

Basically you play around with different items and when you remove the right one and it works, you know that is the one causing the problem. (Real pain in the backside)

U2U me if you need anything.

top topics

join