It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvey Pekar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Greetings.

Anyone into Harvey Pekar ?

I've first heard of him when i saw American Splendor, sort of a biographical movie about him with Paul Giamatti doing Pekar's role.

Amazing artist.

go check wikipedia if you don't know who this guy his.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrExtravaganza
Greetings.

Anyone into Harvey Pekar ?

I've first heard of him when i saw American Splendor, sort of a biographical movie about him with Paul Giamatti doing Pekar's role.

Amazing artist.

go check wikipedia if you don't know who this guy his.

First, Harvey Pekar is not an artist. Harvey, besides being the "star", so to speak, of his comic books, is the writer. There is a distinction. Most of Harveys' work was illustrated by unground comic book legend Robert Crumb as well as a number of other "alternative", underground artists; Gary Dumm, Frank Stack, Dean Hapsiel, Kevin Brown, and Joe Zabel have illustrated the semi-autobiographical work.

Harvey Pekar is certainly an interesting, quirky fellow. Crumb and Pekar certainly have done more than their share at placing sedate little Cleveland, Ohio -- their home town -- on the map.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Glad to see that someone appreciates the art of Harvey Pekar.
(i know crumb is the responsable for some of the artwork; and for the record, Pekar' indeed an)artist

based on the idea of a daily life autobiograhpical comic book concept i'd like to see that applied to this ultra paranoid dude always ranting on conspiracies (the usual joe on ATS i'd say lol
)

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yes, by the strict definition of an artist, Harvey pekar is certainly an artist. His writing, based upon his life and his own "quirky" observations, is nothing shy of brilliant -- in a most bizarre fashion.

In the mid 70's, I actually met Harvey (though I did not know that it was Harvey) on a comic book pilgrimage that I took to Ohio and the Cleveland area. I met Robert Crumb -- a shy man -- but I don't really recall having anything close to a conversation with him. To say that Harvey and Crumb were memorable would be an overstatement. It was a meeting that passed in awkward silence. Fortunately, I also met Dan "grass" Green on this trip. At the time, Dan was an "up and coming" artist of note. So it was a good trip (as Dan's nickname would suggest). Otherwise, I'm certain that it would have been a most forgettable and 'clumsy' social meeting.

new topics

top topics

join