It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we get fully space-born before the Sun goes Red Giant?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It's a question I've oft wondered about ever since I got a pop-up astronomy book and poured over the space sections in old atlas' as a young 'un.

What are the chances that we will have Noah Arked all representatives of DNA (and other genetics) off world by then, will we have found other planets with the right atmospherics and / or will we be able to terraform them including the atmospheres?

Will we get so smart that we can somehow move the whole planet out of orbit and somehow not imbalance the rest of the solar system?

Will the Andromeda galaxy have collided with us by then anyway?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
There's still a few million years until our sun goes red.

If we haven't killed ourselves off by then, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Being that we have some 3-7 billion years I think that we will figure something out. Be it terraforming or colonization of another planet.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
In only 50 years of space development we reached the moon and walked on it, and haverobots on other planets. I dont see why not. Unless we're destroyed from ourselves or a meteor before then, we should get out of thesolar system in a few hundred years.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Positive answers, I like it!

I agree. Don't know if I'll be here in any kind of form when it happens (the space advancements, I'd be really unlucky to still be here if there weren't any of them at all AND the Sun's about to go red giant) but the scope of the question is beyond that anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The liklihood of us destroying ourselves is much more likely then us staying on earth for ever and ever. Hell if we did that we would probably have the means to rejuvinate the sun somehow.
3-7 Billion years is quite a long time.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Im afraid im going to half to lean more tword destroying our selves then colonising other worlds. I really would much prefer the latter over the former, but I guess I just have a synical out look when it comes to that.

apc

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
3-7 billion hmm. We should be pure energy by then. If not then I hope we'll be long extinct. Pretty pathetic to not achieve another plane of existance after a few billion years.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
1 - andromeda will not collide with us for a very long time to come.
2 - even though we have 3-7 billion years before our star dies, we've only got a few thousand years before our planet is no longer supportive of life, due to weather, pollution, yadda yadda
3 - i'd be extremely surprised if we don't kill ourselves in the next 50 years, and even more surprised if we don't do it in the next 500
4 - even though i'm cynical, i really think the nations of the world should get together and emphasize research on space exploration and colonization.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Actually, I doubt that the human race and life on earth itself would even last that long.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If we can not managed to get off this planet in the next 4-5 billion years ( how long our sun is supposed to stay in present condition) we really deserve to be evaporated. I for one do not believe we are still stuck to only planet Earth anyways...

Stellar

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Seeing how it will be about another 4 billion years before the sun goes red giant, Im pretty sure well be far off somewhere else.

As for the Andromeda Galaxy, thats millions of years away, and because of the massiveness of space, it will be more a case of the galaxy passing through and will probably occur without incident.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
.....because of the massiveness of space, it will be more a case of the galaxy passing through and will probably occur without incident.

Physics big man Michio Kaku has it down as 'several collisions per century'. If you consider how many stars and planets there are in the galaxies, we'd be pretty unlucky for it to be us that's involved in anything.

Obviously by then we should be able to leave our planet for good (if we hadn't already done so many years previously). And with the other galaxy 'on our doorstep' we should be able to find many suitable and pleasant places to settle with little effort.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I sure hope that we gain the ability to get off of this rock soon because I think we humans are suffering from a catastrophic case of cabin fever! We have nothing better to do than kill each other and at the rate we are going, we'll probably exterminate every living thing within the next 100 years.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Over the last few millenia we have regressed technologically more than once, and at least once it was due to a cataclysmic war. I predict total global nuclear war long before we ever get into space in any meaningful way.

Even now I do not think the U.S could go back to the moon. We have a moral problem, our institutions are corrupt and we are essentially bankrupt financially. Moreover due to political correctness the modern crop of engineers cant calculate their way out of a paper bag.

Even worse there are agencies and corporations actively suppressing technology to maintain their own monopolies. I predict America will never return to the moon prior to the second coming. Devolution lies ahead.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Dear god I hope so we are talking billions of years. Chances are by then we wont even look like humans at all its such a huge timescale. Look how far tech has advanced in 100 years.

BTW Yes we will collide with Andromeda galaxy before Sol goes all earth swallowing on us. So really we have to get out of the Milkyway by then because neither galaxy is going to be a fun place to live at that time.

Thats a daunting task when you consider just crossing the Milkway takes 100,000 years going light speed and getting to another galaxy is so much farther. But when we have a few billion years even sub light speed would could cover such a distance.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Based on our track record does anyone think we will be able to make it to that point ?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

As for the Andromeda Galaxy, thats millions of years away, and because of the massiveness of space, it will be more a case of the galaxy passing through and will probably occur without incident.

Its about 3 billions of years away

At first when two galaxies collide indeed nothing much happens they ghost through each other. But its hardly over since the gravity of each galaxies super massive blackhole pull each galaxy back and they do this spinning dance close and close until both blackholes become one. In the process the thin disk of stars of each galaxy become a sphere like cloud.

Its becomes a insane jumbled mess stars smashing into stars, planets thrown out of orbits, stars pushed into the super massive blackholes.

we know this is what happend thanks to Physics but also because we have seen it and the aftermath with our own eyes

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
If planets have not escaped the orbit of the sun in billions of years what makes you all think humans can?

Here's a scenario for you:
Spaceship filled with frozen humans (you don't think we can stay awake for the multi-million year journey do you?), reaches outer solar system, gets cut to ribbons by millions of miles of debris,
life support is shot, engines shot, floats aimlessly off course into the debris cloud, maybe becomes a comet itself, maybe returns to earth with its big old leaking fusion reactor and explodes in the atmosphere.

I have a plan: Send millions of ships containing robots and the organic material necessary for cloning and feeding the clones out in every direction of space. When the robot ships that survive the multi-million years journey find a planet that can support even the most primitive life are found, land, clone humans for adaptation on that planet, there's your "human" colony.

Second plan, seek planets that can support human evolution, use high powered lasers to move molecules and alter the DNA of alien microbes and construct human DNA within life forms of foreign worlds.

Third plan, ship frozen humans off to every direction of space and hope that aliens find us, thaw us out and give us a nice home, after dissecting half of us, hell include a few dead humans with "ready to dissect" label on them with each craft.

Fourth plan, become robots, destroy all humans, colonize entire solar system.

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Legalizer]

[edit on 28-6-2006 by Legalizer]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Been thinking about freezing people in space. Could you not just vent the air around to some cooling pipes outside of a spaceship to make people cold and "cryofreeze" them ? I mean its damn cold up there right ? Might be a cheap way so we wouldnt have to carry loads of liquid nitro up there with us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join