It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just finished reading "The Consequences of Permissive Neglect".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   

While leaks of classified information are often intended to influence or inform US audiences, foreign intelligence services and terrorists are close and voracious readers of the US press. They are keenly alert to revelations of US classified information...Classified intelligence disclosed in the press is the effective equivalent of intelligence gathered through foreign espionage.
Studies in Intelligence

Not much to be said on the matter, just figured any one who was interested in the recent events would find it valuable.

Any one have some ideas on the current and past occurances? Perhaps a plausible solution, because the only one I can figure is the resignation of the government.

Enough is enough, it done broke way too many times. Can't fix it no more, time for new one in my opinion.

Oh well what the heck, here are more sources on simular information;

President Clinton on Saturday vetoed a bill that would have criminalized the leaking of government secrets. The legislation, he said, might "chill legitimate activities that are at the heart of a democracy."
Clinton Vetoes Classified-Leaks Bill

Washington -- The practice of leaking information to the media has become "almost second nature" in the U.S. capital, and when it is classified, severe damage to U.S. intelligence capabilities can occur, a Michigan congressman says.
Leaks of Classified Data Called Damaging and Widespread

The issue of leaks has been front and center in the news, in case some of you hadn't noticed...Categories of Leaks...The Ghosts of Leaks Past...Deliberate Disclosure...
Secrets and Leaks: The Costs and Consequences for National Security

Several high profile classified leaks to media have emerged in the last few years. These leaks have led to a considerable release of information...
Service Unavailable

ATTORNEY GENERAL ASHCROFT ANNOUNCES INTERAGENCY TASK FORCE
TO REVIEW WAYS TO COMBAT LEAKS OF CLASSIFIED INFORMATION
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2001
WWW.USDOJ.GOV
The review – the first in nearly two decades –

There is no doubt and ample evidence that unauthorized disclosures of classified information cause enormous and irreparable harm to the Nation’s diplomatic, military, and intelligence capabilities.
Report to Congress on Unauthorized Disclosures of Classified

McCLELLAN: The President has been -- I spoke for him earlier today -- the President believes leaking classified information is a very serious matter.
Press Briefing by Scott McClellan

Waxman asks for a full accounting of the President's and Vice President's actions in authorizing leaks of classified intelligence...
Committee on Government Reform Minority Office

[edit on 10-6-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Don't mind me, no one else does, but I figured you all might want to see this also.

New Directive on Leaks in Preparation

The Justice Department is drafting a revision of the controversial National Security Decision Directive 84 on "Safeguarding National Security Information." That Directive, which was issued in 1984 by the Reagan Administration, ignited fierce protests because of its aggressive approach to the unauthorized disclosure of classified information.

The contents of the revised Directive have not yet been revealed. There are, however, few possible measures that have not already been tried over the years in unsuccessful attempts to stem the escalating flood of leaks.

Secrecy & Government Bulletin May 1997

Oh, and if by chance any of you have read some of my other ramble lings, the next section of that same link will or should get a lol and or your attention.

Imaginary Secrecy
Excessive government secrecy helped to bring about a military coup in the United States in the year 2012,...

[edit on 11-6-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I bumped this one in particular because of recent and current past events that pertain to the topic in general.

Also to make a point these things are not new.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

ADVISOR, the problem with this lame attempt at censoring, is anyone can go to the library, and look up books, and speak about them, instead of classified topics, circumventing classifications.

Going To Your Public Library, Gathering Open Source Intelligence, and Surviving

...or just look up certain keywords...

Al-Qaeda Kidnapping and Hostage Taking Manual : A PDF I Found

So, unless they plan to shut all libraries doors, and the Internet down completely, this is complete nonsense, just a political posture.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

The problem still persists, to this day, even when a known issue back then...

"Permissive neglect"...

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 06:42 AM
link   
At this point in time, permissive neglect is the standard operating procedure for politicians in general on both sides.

It just so happens the leftists pride themselves on it.

new topics

top topics

join