It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic Spying: US Court of Appeals Says Broadband Internet Wiretapping A-OK!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well there ya have it. I would submit it to ATSNN if I new how. Unfortunately, I am still learning my way around here. Feel free to submit it for yourselves.

REUTERS: U.S. Court of Appeals Backs Goverment Wiretapping of Broadband Internet

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Friday upheld the government's authority to force high-speed Internet service providers to give law enforcement authorities access for surveillance purposes.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit rejected a petition aimed at overturning a decision by regulators requiring facilities-based broadband providers and those that offer Internet telephone service to comply with U.S. wiretap laws.

The court concluded that the FCC requirement was a "reasonable policy choice" even though information services are exempted from the government's wiretapping authority.

The FCC has set a May 14, 2007 deadline for compliance.

"I am pleased that the Court agreed with the Commission's finding, which will ensure that law enforcement agencies' ability to conduct lawful court-ordered electronic surveillance will keep pace with new communication technologies," FCC chairman Kevin Martin said in a statement after the ruling.

Does this scare you? Is this just another data-mining venue or something far more sinister? This cannot be to track terrorists. I don't even think most third-world countries have broadband internet access in anything except for their largest and most developed cities.

As Banjamin Franklin said, "Those to would give up their Liberties in the name of Security deserve neither."

[edit on 9-6-2006 by bustedtrigger137]

new topics

join