It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Bans DaVinci Code Movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
China has decided to ban cinema viewings of the world renowned The DaVinci Code.The Chinese catholic church has allready ordered a media group to boycott the film.

news.ninemsn.com.au
A media source told Reuters on Thursday that domestic newspapers had received a notice from the central government propaganda department telling them to stop all references to the movie in print.

Relations between Beijing and the Vatican - who have no diplomatic ties - reached a new low last month when the Pope censured China publicly for installing two bishops in the state-backed Catholic church without the Holy See's approval.

The controversial adaptation of Dan Brown's best-selling novel, the story of a Vatican cover-up involving Jesus Christ and his supposed offspring, has been banned in several Indian states, as well as Fiji, Pakistan and some other countries for offending religious sensibilities.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In my Opinion this movie, just like the book , is a work of fiction.
while some facts in the book are true this doesnt mean that the whole movie or the entire book is true .
It was written for reference purpouses and reading purpouses only and was never meant to be taken literally.
I think these people need to realise the difference between fiction and non fiction,

Related News Links:
news.ninemsn.com.au
today.reuters.com
www.theherald.co.uk
www.iht.com

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Anyone sense an echo of a possible foreshadowing of what will happen again ( according to my study in bible prophecy ) during the Dark Ages?

Slowly the Vatican is regaining its power it once lost. And if she had the chance she will exert that same power and persecute anyone who would stand in her way.

[edit on 9-6-2006 by Shortness]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
?! China, that well-known defender of Xtianity.........

Non-fiction it is. But even if it were true - that's still just as bad cause then it's being doubly-censored.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Shortness - I really don't see how you can attribute this to the Vatican, the Vatican has no power in China, and in fact Catholics faithful to the Vatican are persecuted. They have their own state sanctioned version.

Original Poster - As for what the big deal is over a piece of fiction, have you even here at ATS been reading the DaVinci Code threads? There is a large populous taking this information as fact based if not flat out fact.

With that being said, I am terribly confused why China would ban it, except that it doesn't want to expose it's people to any possibility of history or belief than what the government deems "appropriate". I see this as a reflection of that.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
what i want to know is why the catholic churches around the world are so bothered about this film, its a movie, makes you wonder if it has touched a raw nerve concerning the secrets of the catholic church

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Like I indicated above, people are believing the concepts in the movie and it is misleading the faithful. It is the Church's job to call a spade a spade when they see it.

There is plenty of evidence now to contradict half of what the movie suggests, but just as in everything else, your average person just takes things on face value. They are not going out and researching the information themselves.

It's obvious that half of the self-proclaimed Catholics pay no attention to the Vatican in the first place (which they fail to grasp means they aren't really Catholics anyway) but it is still the proper place of the Vatican to give guidance on such matters to the practicers of the faith. I don't think for a minute it is changing or controlling the masses, since even amoung Catholics, so many ignore the Vatican anyway. For those who follow the faith, they want this guidance, it is a choice of their free will and therefore this whole concept of Vatican control and the fear of it really has me stumped. The Vatican is given a lot more credit then they should be. They have very little control of people's free will, and even they know it. All they do is try.

If they really had the power people fear, abortion would not be legal anywhere, for a perfect example.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
That's pure comedy, one of the last (formally) Communist regimes and the Catholic Church in agreement, who would have thought. Perhaps illegal movies generate more revenue (think drugwar), i mean the money for China's ambitious military plans has to come from somewhere.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
re: "Like I indicated above, people are believing the concepts in the movie and it is misleading the faithful. It is the Church's job to call a spade a spade when they see it."

Since when has anything the Church claims is true been proven?! Never.

People that believe that are already misled. There's no proof for any of it.

As to China and Italian links, I can think of pasta / noodles and restaurants.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ed 209
Since when has anything the Church claims is true been proven?! Never.

People that believe that are already misled. There's no proof for any of it.

No matters of faith can be proven - period. That's the point, however for the people who follow their faith, it is the place of their heirarchy to comment on such things. That is all I was saying.

However, in the case of China, I don't see how banning the movie has anything to do with matters of faith, so I fail to see any connection between China's ban and the Vatican's denouncing of the movie anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Like I indicated above, people are believing the concepts in the movie and it is misleading the faithful.

I have yet to see any indication that this is true.

The ONLY people I have seen making this claim are the 'faithful' who are afraid other 'faithful' will turn away from their faith. I have not seen ONE person say, "Oh, I think it's true. I turned away from my faith because of the DaVinci Code."

Not ONE.

Does anyone have any information that would indicate that people are believing the book and turning away form their faith? Not hearsay, not a 'claim' that people believe it, but actual real people saying they believe the book is truth and turning away from their faith as a result?

China banning the movie is only going to make people more curious and put intrigue and suspicion into the mix. There will be (and is) information all over the Internet about it. China is treating this like something that must be covered up and kept from their people to 'protect' them. Silly, imho.

[edit on 10-6-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Relentless
Like I indicated above, people are believing the concepts in the movie and it is misleading the faithful.

I have yet to see any indication that this is true.

I have not seen ONE person say, "Oh, I think it's true. I turned away from my faith because of the DaVinci Code."

Not ONE.

Does anyone have any information that would indicate that people are believing the book and turning away form their faith? Not heresay, not a 'claim' that people believe it, but actual real people saying they believe the book is truth and turning away from their faith as a result?

Well, I don't know how to answer this under the restrictions (not hear say, not a claim), and the wording you used, no I don't think people actually walk around saying "I am turning away from the faith as a result of the DaVinci Code". It's not exactly the type of thing one goes around professing for the hey of it.
In addition I think it would go unnoticed outside of an actual church community.

I can share this. I belong to a very devout small parish administered by Carmelite monks. The Bishop came for a visit last month for a "Town Hall" type meeting with the people. There was actually an active member of the parish who stood up and asked the Bishop to clarify the fact that The DC is fiction since he was encountering many people (in the parish) that seemed to be confused about the point. I was actually shocked that the question needed to be raised in this particular parish, but I think the fact that is was speaks for itself.

Again, I want to stress the fact that when the Catholic Church comments on such things they are doing it for their members, I don't think for a minute they are deluding themselves into thinking they are controlling the world over it, only leading their flock. (If anyone says sheeple I'm gonna deck you).

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thanks, Relentless.
You have a very good point that I'm not involved in a church community and therefore wouldn't hear of this sort of thing in my real life. I guess I expected to read something on the Internet or something. I mean, if this was a real issue, all someone has to do is point out that the book is a novel.

I did see several references to a Canadian poll early last year that said 32% of people believed that Jesus has a bloodline, but couldn't find the actual poll and I don't know how much they were influenced by the book or if they were religious, or if they turned away from their religion because of this belief.

But there's very little real info on it. Just people condemning the book because of how people believe it. I just wonder how true that is and who's really to blame for people believing a novel.

I can certainly see a minister reminding his congregation that the book is fiction, but I don't understand the ire, as the DC doesn't claim to be true.

I wouldn't think of saying the sh word. I don't want to get decked!

[edit on 10-6-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I just wonder how true that is and who's really to blame for people believing a novel.

Well, my only speculation is that much of it is occuring in the advanced population. These are people who have held tight to their faith for decades and are now confused by all this stuff floating around. But even in much larger parishes, I have seen many practicing Catholics that view the issues in the DaVinci Code in ways that you would not expect of Catholics.

I can certainly see a minister reminding his congregation that the book is fiction, but I don't understand the ire, as the DC doesn't claim to be true.

I am not seeing ire in the Catholic Church myself, except for the fringe people who pick on everything including the Pope for not doing enough anyway. (Hey, we all have our bunch).

I wouldn't think of saying the sh word. I don't want to get decked!

I didn't think you would, I expected it from someone else, but glad to know.

So what is in the DaVinci Code that is prompting these actions by China? Maybe there is something in it that we've all missed focusing on the Church angle that could blow China wide open. Wouldn't that be a kick?

[edit on 6/10/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
In my Opinion this movie, just like the book , is a work of fiction.

If by "the book" you mean the bible, I totally agree with you.

People who are angered by the DaVinci code should understand that it is just as much a work of fiction as the bible is.

[edit on 10-6-2006 by ShakyaHeir]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
China is an Atheist country. if they are banning it, more then likely it would be because it implies there was a Jesus Christ and a bible. I doubt the Vatican or any religious order would have anything to do with why it was being banned.

Pie

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I read the book but I have not seen the movie.

China careless what the Vatican has to said, I believe that the reason for not showing the movie has to do more with the fact that is western made than anything else.

And as for the book and movie I have to said that it does raise very legitimate issues that very much has been topic of conspiracies for ages.

Not big deal if you are a faithful follower with not doubts about your believes.

But for anybody else that have question about religion in general well . . . the movie may open their minds to possibilities beyond what has been told by the church in a very straight line since their humble beginnings.

new topics

top topics

join