It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want A Cheesesteak? 'Speak English'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

Originally posted by dgtempe
Asking for a well accented English, is very unreasonable. That's totally not necessary. You are saying that people should not have an accent at all.

Many a time people tend to believe that they are in fact conversing in English but their accents are so thick that it is impossible to decipher what language they are talking in let alone be able to communicate with them
My mother had a severe Spanish accent and she was the head of a huge corporation. She got A for effort. When you start nickpicking about how great the thickness of the accent is, that is very unfair. At least they LEARNED the language, weather they have a thick accent should not matter. Plueeeeze!

That's a very narrow minded view. I'd like to see you speak Russian or even Spanish, without a thick English accent!
Its almost impossible.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I am a Philadelphia area native that happened to visit Geno's a couple of weeks ago to expose my children to a proper cheesteak. I prefer Jim's on South Street though.

Anyway, does anyone remember when John Kerry visited Pat's (next to Geno's) and asked for Swiss Cheese. It got a huge laugh out of Philadelphia. What a pompous idiot.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by theebdk
Anyway, does anyone remember when John Kerry visited Pat's (next to Geno's) and asked for Swiss Cheese. It got a huge laugh out of Philadelphia. What a pompous idiot.

Yet the city and state still voted for him... Hmm...I guess they thought there's something more important to a presidential candidate than the "every man" factor that people find more important the real issues. "Oh I guess if he clears brush he's one of us..."

BTW, why is the Phili airport so freaking nasty? I was there yesterday and was thinking that it would be somewhat of an embarassment to the city...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well, he might be an idiot- i'll give you that. But here in New England, we do not use Cheez Whiz

We use any kind of real cheese. Guess what? Its very tasty. Some people hate Cheez Whiz

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
What a novel idea.

Order food using the English language in the USA, now why didn't I think of that? Have to give the man credit for standing up for what he feels is right

Wonder if I can find a McDonald's where they speak English and have them understand what I want

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
So to eat "pat's" I have to order in ebonics? might as well cal it patinqwa's.

Its not ebonics...Philadelphians have a sorta Brooklyn accent in certain parts.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
English has gobbled up and incorporated so many languages it's hard to speak it without including random words and phrases from at least half a dozen other languages.

Based on that fact, I think English ought to just merge with every other language in existence to produce a thoroughly unspeakable franken-language. Then we can all be equally confused, and be speaking one language at the same time.

That said, anyone who can't speak English properly, and expects to exist in America hassle-free is delusional. I don't travel to foreign lands without at least a passable command of the local language. Screw politeness, it's just unwise and unsafe. Immigrants owe it to themselves to learn the local language, and they have nobody to blame but themselves when the natives don't understand them, and get testy as a result.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Based on that fact, I think English ought to just merge with every other language in existence to produce a thoroughly unspeakable franken-language. Then we can all be equally confused, and be speaking one language at the same time.

Ah yes, like the "Cityspeak" from Blade Runner: "Monsieur, azonnal kövessen engem bitte."

Blade Runner FAQ - Language

That'd be neat!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
well im nicaraguin (central america) and my me and my mom hate when she see latino speak spansh only because she work so to learn it and me im not going to lie im bad at english but i try so they should it mexican who dont learn spansh cause "it was there land" and not the parents it the kids who say that

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Che,

You do very well and i congratulate you on your English, rough as it is. You are trying. Bless you.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
thank i need than i live in a white town and everone make fun cause of it

[edit on 9-6-2006 by El Che]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I don't find anything wrong with this, other than the fact that the sign could have been a bit more polite.

I do get annoyed when people come here and don't bother learning English, I mean I wouldn't go to France and demand everyone spoke English, that would be rude.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
me to it should be more polite (i guess i can't get chesssteak:lol

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
So to eat "pat's" I have to order in ebonics? might as well cal it patinqwa's.

"dat be gr8, now, danks to tis eboniks I be is uhm, bi-ling-ual!"

UGH! I cannot stand ebonics, it sounds so ignorant and unintelligent. I would compare it to almost grunting utterances.

I would intentionally make them repeat it until the spoke proper english.

I sure wouldnt want someone coming into my sandwich shop....

"yo mo fo, I be das tis hungway! wat ya got up in da? gima das sub wit no chise, an no onyons! B'otch....gima lotsa da meat...ya ming?"

at least spanish has a damn SYNTAX!!!

[edit on 9-6-2006 by XphilesPhan]

Thats funny... Makes sense though.. you own a store, you need to keep the line moving right? Sitting there trying to decipher someones home language slows the line down and therefor sales. Leave the man alone, his store his rules, don't like it? Go to that Pat's place.
And to the guy who said hispanics should understand english because its a cousin of spanish.. um last I checked english isnt a romantic language, cousin of french in spelling because of french rule over england for a while but not much with latin its self.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The Cheese Steak company I feel can make people use English or not accept there business, just like you need to have shirts shoes or no service.

You are not required by law to have a French, Portugese or Spanish menu.

It is a privately owned business.

If he wants to set rules that do not endanger patrons, go for it.

Just do not go there and spend your money. if you don't like it.

I bet some lawyer will take this up, and make some money off from this.

I think this is a bit over the top to have a policy like this. And I wouldn't spend my money there.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I agree if you go to france you need to know at least enough french to get around, the same goes for spain - spanish, italy- italian, england - english, ect...
but all of those countries have official languages, the united states , although working towards making english its offical language, currently does not have one.
So even though a majority may speak one language , and getting around is certainly easier when one speaks the language of the majority, when there is no official language is it fair to discriminate?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
i live roughly 1/2 mile from canada or i should say quebec where everyone speaks french but 90% also speak english, if you go there and try to talk english they become dumb like they dont know what you are talking about. on more then one occasion they actualy started making smart remarks in french only to find out that i know french (canadian french), just tonight i went across to the tax and duty free store to get my smokes and they were training a new girl and it was taking awhile for her to cash me out the trainer told her in french "oh dont worry about him if he wants his smokes he will wait" so i returned with "and if i dont i will just leave".

In all honesty i beleave most legal immigrant americans know a bit of english and just refuse to speak it. In mexico i found that they try real hard to talk with you if you dont know spanish but then again i was buying something

i agree with the sign and think more people should speak out about it english is our language and if you dont know enough of it to get around then unless you are of great importance to the country i dont think they should be given residency untill they can speak english enough to make sense.

One of the things that iritate me more then anything lately is ordering something or needing to speak to customer service over the phone and having to ask them to repeat themselves 4-5 times per question because they barely speak english.
Has america outsourced it's entire customer service/phone support or has DELL just gone through the tubes?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well, he might be an idiot- i'll give you that. But here in New England, we do not use Cheez Whiz

We use any kind of real cheese. Guess what? Its very tasty. Some people hate Cheez Whiz
HMMMMM i just used Cheez WHiz tonight so that proves your New England theory wrong LOL

or maybe it is because i am a vermonter they say this is a corky state

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
In America there is no official language, even though I feel that it is okay, from are politically correct ideas it is wrong and I think it is going to be blown up into a huge ordeal.. In San Diego we have a cross on a mountain and people want to take it down.. it is a memorial to men and women that died serving this country not a representation of religion... so i say good luck to that guy
neutral i guess

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I seem to remember stores being able to once upon a time reserve the right to refuse service to any customer. To me this falls under the scope of business rights to run your business as you see fit, which is quite integral to how our economy works; without property rights such as this and others the system doesnt quite work as well. If the store owner in question can be foreced to remove his signage about ordering language then I would hope I could get fast food chains that choose to employ those without the ability to speak english in a customer-service position to move the employee back to somewhere else where their language problems are less of a hinderance business and customer alike?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join