It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Tropical Storm? Tropical Storm Alberto

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
WOW! Pressure has dropped about 4mb. Winds have increased and hurricane warning issued. It may reach Cat 1 but I'll bet it drops back down to TS strength before landfall.

WW, Gaz, and everyone else in (not so) sunny Fla. stay safe!

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
To be honest, we treat Cat 1's no different than strong summer thunderstorms...we're simply too used to them. Lots of wind, lots of rain.

Been raining here all morning, with little breaks in between. Probably have some localized minor flooding (Tampa Bay area).

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This is worrying actually. The hurricane season normally starts off with a few tropical depressions and storms and then gets down to it with the serious stuff in the form of hurricanes. For the first storm of the years to be a hurricane is definately odd.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Darkmind]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Guess we're in a Hurricane Warning now, officially....

What a start to the season....

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
winds are up to 70mph....not far from Hurricane status.

this storm has basically thrown a curve at anyone trying to learn meteorology...it's not behaving like it should...at least imo.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind
This is worrying actually. The hurricane season normally starts off with a few tropical depressions and storms and then gets down to it with the serious stuff in the form of hurricanes. For the first storm of the years to be a hurricane is definately odd.

It's not necessarily odd. It's just rare (for this early).

Last time these names were used was in 2000 and Alberto became a hurricane then. Of course that was in August

(as was Andrew - another first storm)

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It seems our friend Alberto is trying to take an identical track of our friend Hurricane Allison (another early June (3-11) hurricane) back in '95

Allison:

Alberto:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Still no strengthening as of the 1pm advisory...so that's good news..

My only real worry is microbursts... That's what caused my damage last year...(mini tornadoes) with even a weak storm....and of course, power outages suck...(mostly due to no A/C when this happens...) I'm still debating a generator...just a lot of cost and risk, and the noise will scare the crap out of the dogs.... We only average about 4 hours of power loss a year during the storms, so not so sure it's worth the dough and the trouble really.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Still no strengthening as of the 1pm advisory...so that's good news..

My only real worry is microbursts... That's what caused my damage last year...(mini tornadoes) with even a weak storm....and of course, power outages suck...(mostly due to no A/C when this happens...) I'm still debating a generator...just a lot of cost and risk, and the noise will scare the crap out of the dogs.... We only average about 4 hours of power loss a year during the storms, so not so sure it's worth the dough and the trouble really.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This storm is a little bugger. At this time yesterday I would have bet that this storm had no chance of getting much stronger than 45mph before landfall. The circulation was very exposed and the storm just didn't look good. There has been a huge improvement in the last 12 hours alone. The pressure has gone down from 1006mb to 997mb in that time. Cat 1 strength certainly not out of the question.

Here is the latest IR Channel 4 image from the GOES Storm Floater #1.

You can get the latest images and loops here... www.climatepatrol.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Gaz, you really should invest in a generator, a small one is good, as long as you can run your fridge, alternate appliances, you'll be so much happier.

Wilma left me without power for more than 2 weeks!!!! Katrina which was just a tropical storm left us dark for 3 days. Tampa must have a far superior electrical infrastructure than here in Broward or you guys have just been lucky so far. I'm almost expecting power outages here in south florida and we've had less than an inch of rain

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
ain't it crazy Indy, last night I went to sleep thinking it was going to get torn apart and just be an unorganized blob when I woke up, but Alberto had other thoughts it seems. With the flareup happening in the sw quadrant, I'm thinking this storm might touch Hurricane status, might be brief... but then again...what do I know, everything I thought so far..has been wrong.

NHC still gets
from me.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Nope, we have an excellent electrical infrastructure, and I'm very close to a dispatch office, so we come up quick, hehe...

I know, still going back and forth on the generator... Personally though, I'll just fire up the gas grill and have a hell of a cookout if the fridge isn't on soon after, hehe.... I usually have canned goods and drinks, etc. for about 3 weeks of pretty decent eating, in addition to anything in the fridge.

If power is out for more than a couple of days, I'm going on a vacation to somewhere that has power...lol....

If nothing else, we'll probably have my grandmother in law stay with us (as I wouldn't want her to be alone during such an outage...) and she's got a generator, so there you go, hehe....
She's 80, (and quite a character), but I wouldn't want her to worry....

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here is a list of Alberto type satellite feeds...

GOES Storm Floater #1
Visible
www.climatepatrol.com...
IR Channel 4
www.climatepatrol.com...
Shortwave IR
www.climatepatrol.com...
Dvorak
www.climatepatrol.com...
Water Vapor
www.climatepatrol.com...

GOES East Gulf of Mexico
Visible
www.climatepatrol.com...
IR Channel 4
www.climatepatrol.com...
Shortwave IR
www.climatepatrol.com...
Water Vapor
www.climatepatrol.com...

Here is a good east coast IR image.
www.climatepatrol.com...

Until this storm passes I am setting the default loop size to 40 frames.

Enjoy,
Indy

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Guess we're in a Hurricane Warning now, officially....

What a start to the season....

Yeah I know. This is way to early to already have a Cat 1. I think this hurricane seasons going to be far worse then the last.

BTW Im in Tampa Bay too. It doesnt look to bad outside yet. I dont expect it to get to nast.

[edit on 6/12/2006 by AndrewTB]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
hmmph I guess I should start to show my face on ATS again for Storm Season

haha

Good luck GZork! Cat one here would proablly do some dammage!

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
hmmph I guess I should start to show my face on ATS again for Storm Season

haha

Good luck GZork! Cat one here would proablly do some dammage!

Could you imagine all the debris in lakeview, gentilly and the east flying around? Not to mention the lights going out (as if they stay on regularly now) for weeks, and water going out?? Let's hope for no storms, Mizar.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
even something small like that would cause havock.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Whew, another storm misses the Keys who hoo!!!

Fortunately all we got was some much needed rain

Hopefully this will help quelch some of the wild fires up on the mainland. Good luck guys

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yep, the rain was welcome...
This was one storm where the good outweighed the bad...

Though, it got REAL nasty on Monday evening around 10pm... I was driving home from class, and there were times we were all going 10mph on the interstate, simply because you couldn't see, even with wipers on full blast...(and being blown all over the road)...not cool.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join