It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Meteor Explosion Hits Norway

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
woops. hiccup

[edit on 9-6-2006 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
winnipegsun.com...
External Source

Ufology Research of Manitoba, a Winnipeg-based independent centre that collects data on Canadian UFO reports, is assisting the museum in gathering eyewitness accounts to determine the object's flight path. Spokesman Chris Rutkowski said he's received more than a dozen calls so far. [quote/]

I have sent the stroy to the BBC.
here is storys from that site?

The Manitoba Museum has been flooded with phone calls from people who spotted a strange object in the sky.

Resident astronomer Scott Young said the museum has received at least 100 calls about an eerie green light that appeared in the sky on Friday night. Young believes the object was either a small asteroid or a chunk of comet that shattered into several pieces after burning up in the Earth's atmosphere.

"The receptionist is doing nothing but answering calls and taking numbers right now and I think I'm up to 180 e-mails," he said. "Lots of people saw it."

Eyewitnesses from Dryden to Brandon and as far south as Duluth, Minn., have reported seeing the object.

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS SOUGHT

Ufology Research of Manitoba, a Winnipeg-based independent centre that collects data on Canadian UFO reports, is assisting the museum in gathering eyewitness accounts to determine the object's flight path. Spokesman Chris Rutkowski said he's received more than a dozen calls so far.

"They all report seeing a brilliant blue or green light moving through the sky with a long tail," he said. "There may have been somebody who captured it on a cellphone camera."

Young said the end point of the object's flight path is somewhere in northwestern Ontario. It's not known whether any pieces reached the ground.

"The first step is to figure out the trajectory and where pieces might come down," he said. "If it's a reasonable place to go looking, then we'll look for pieces," he said.

?? this IS from Your link

[edit on 9/6/06 by caineunholy]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This occured so far north, that it is in the seasonal sun belt... (far north Norway is light 24/7 during the summer months)... which explains the lightness for being late at night...

It also explains why there isn't much interest in it.

It hit so far north, that no one lives there...
If the same rock had come down in NYC, then we would probably have half the city wiped out...

I am interested in why we didn't hear about the chance...
we saw warnings by the "cuckoo crowd" but not from news sources...
this indicates that if a comet were to be heading this way...
We would find out when it landed, but scientists, and politicians would have had weeks or months of warning...

here is where troms is (where the meteor hit), and some info about it
troms

[edit on 9-6-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
www.space.com have the blog listed in their top storys section. Can't beleive their is no comment on this in the major news.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This website is carrying the story and claims to be "The leading newspaper in Norway with norwegian news in english"

Anyone from Norway?

www.aftenposten.no...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I believe this article is related to the Canada incident with the green fireball
Fire in the sky

The mysterious light seen over the Northland on Friday night was an especially bright meteor seen in at least two states and Canada.

"Anyone who saw it should count themselves as lucky -- they are probably not going to see another one like that in their lifetime," Scott Young said.

that made me laugh,
yes thay do kill you!
so your life will be short.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It is a paper i have come across before, when looking up norway info... so it is legit, in that sense...

I dont doubt this report one bit...
I question why MSM hasn't grabbed it... but since no one got hurt, and so much more is going on, it could explain it...

except in America of course... We wont ever get that news...
The news media would be gagged the minute the info was known... (as per mandate)

Can any of you imagine if you read in your paper on monday
"A cometary piece that will produce an explosion on par with Hiroshima (which is actually relatively small) will hit the earth on wednesday...

Talk about mayhem...
and it would have been a true headline, but there would have been deaths caused by the panic, not the meteor.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Now why would a meteor hitting Norway, trigger an earthquake in Scotland? Shouldn't the impact have registered in Norway? None of the monitoring sites I watch report any seismic activity there at all. Very strange.

[edit on 9-6-2006 by valkeryie]

it flys over Norway.
then explodes in the air.
so thay get a shock wave.
and think its a earth quake.
not many herd it,
so it must have exploded over the sea.

well thats what I think!
thay could have shot down a UFO!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
But they shouldnt hide things after the fact. We arent stupid. One crashed. Ok, we are all still here. Why cant this government do anything as far as providing real information?
They only specialize in dissinformation.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

I dont doubt this report one bit...
I question why MSM hasn't grabbed it... but since no one got hurt, and so much more is going on, it could explain it...

except in America of course... We wont ever get that news...
The news media would be gagged the minute the info was known... (as per mandate)

Hey I read about this bad boy on Matt Drudge, he's got a linky to it.....

Does that reveal a source of my disinformation?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Hmm, first the Tunguska event in 1904, now this...

Why do the big ones always hit remote, unpopulated areas in the far north?

Are we lucky? That has never seemed to be the case before...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Just want to add a quick plea to this thread:
There must be people from Norway here, or people who know people from Norway
Maybe if we are lucky, someone who lives in the region mentioned

I see Norwegians in nearly every aspect of my network experience, so come on guys, speak up if you are there, what really happened in Norway?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here is the site for the geological organization that detected the event:
www.norsar.no...

I contacted the author of the posten article, and sent an inquiry to the Norsar people through their website contact form. This is pretty fascinating.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors

Hey I read about this bad boy on Matt Drudge, he's got a linky to it.....

Does that reveal a source of my disinformation?
Funny, he must have just posted it! Its making the rounds now....after the fact.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Could an event such as this produce the media blowup about Zarqawi's Death?

Perhaps in order to swamp the news about this event so that instead of mass panic as the media would surely cause, we have a cry of victory and another notch on our belt on the war of terror...

I mean BAM!! out of the blue the news wires were (and still are) going crazy over this man getting killed and yet ignore the fact (if it is fact) that an object fell from the sky and hit northen Norway with the force of an Atomic bomb...

Sorry for any spelling errors or grammer i gotta run hot date!!!

Drow Ingpool...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by akabigfoot

This website is carrying the story and claims to be "The leading newspaper in Norway with norwegian news in english"

Anyone from Norway?

www.aftenposten.no...

I'm from Norway. I can confirm this is a respected source. The picture were so bright because they have the midnight sun at this time of year. It nevers go dark. People live there. Someone stated "no-one lives there".... not true. Don't get fooled by the "Hiroshima" thing. This explosion was not radioactive. And it didn't hit a city.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hellmut, i did think of you!!! I remembered you are from that area. You ok? What's the talk over there? How big was this rock? Please give us any info if you have some. thanks

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Thanks guys. was too lazy to check out lighting up time.
Wow bummer!! how do you get any sleep up there??

I,m no so much suprised at the newsies not reporting it since it didn,t cause doom and gloom,but surely the scientific community should be all over this??What an oppurtunity to study size/damage and possibly re-evaluate our chances against the biggies out there,not even mentioning possibilities of new minerals or even something else.. ''life/microbes??''brough to earth

HELLMUTT.couldn,t you go take a trip to see the hole?

[edit on 9-6-2006 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I found a link that shows the supposed impact site of the meteor. However the site needs to be translated. Hellmut can you help with the translation? I know it speaks of the meteorite being an astronomical sensation, but I am limited on my skills. Is this a reputable news site?

Here is the link

Meter Impact

Also this alert map provides some additional information.

Alert Map

I will keep looking to see what else I can find. This is proving to be quite difficult though.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Here is another source. They say it was considerably larger than the one that hit Norway in 1904 (90 kilos (198 lbs). Here is a picture of the recent one:

Photo: Peter Bruvold

Free Internet Press: Record Meteorite Hits Norway

June 09 2006

"There were ground tremors, a house shook and a curtain was blown into the house," Norway's best known astronomer Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard told Aftenposten.no. Røed Ødegaard said the meteorite was visible to an area of several hundred kilometers despite the brightness of the midnight sunlit summer sky. The meteorite hit a mountainside in Reisadalen in North Troms.

The astronomer believes the meteorite was a giant rock and probably the largest known to have struck Norway. "The record was the Alta meteorite that landed in 1904. That one was 90 kilos (198 lbs) but we think the meteorite that landed Wednesday was considerably larger," Røed Ødegaard said, and urged members of the public who saw the object or may have found remnants to contact the Institute of Astrophysics.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join