It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Zarqawi's video sent him to death?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Link

AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan provided the U.S. military with information that helped in tracking down and killing al-Qaida in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian official said.

Some of the information came from Jordan's sources inside Iraq and led the U.S. military to the area of Baqouba, the region northeast of Baghdad where Iraq's prime minister said al-Zarqawi was killed in an airstrike Wednesday night, said the official, who has knowledge of the operation.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was addressing intelligence issues, would not elaborate, but Jordan is known to have intelligence agents operating in Iraq to hunt down Islamic militants.

Jordan also analyzed a video issued by the Jordanian-born al-Zarqawi in April and helped pinpoint where it was filmed, the official said. The video showed images of al-Zarqawi standing in a desert landscape, firing a machine gun.

The official did not give details about how discovering the location led the military to al-Zarqawi or whether the video was filmed in the same location where al-Zarqawi was killed. When the video came out, observers said the flat desert setting resembled parts of Iraq's Anbar province, to the west of Diyala province, where Baqouba is located.

So is that how they manage to get him? Or it was something else? Its a wonder why Osama hasn't made a video of himself recently, because the background could give clues. Or its just that they are trying to hide the real source of info that lead to Zarqawi's death. In my opinion is just a piece of info that helped bring the pieces of the puzzle together to locate Zarqawi as the article stated that the Jordanians helped provide info. The 25 million bounty was paid to somebody.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I had heard on the news that they were using the background to give them geographic information about the location.

I also have to wonder, is there some sort of signal that can be broadcast, say from a satellite, or from a local military installation, somethign that can be picked up by a regular video recorder, but that isn't visibile to the naked eye, or that can be 'filtered' and revelead?

I mean, if you had a strobe light illuminatinig the sky in a certain region, you'd be able to id, from the video, where the video was taken by matching the strobe's pattern. But that'd be obvious to the peopel making it. So is there some way to get a similar 'message' onto a video, without it being obviously visible?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I also have to wonder, is there some sort of signal that can be broadcast, say from a satellite, or from a local military installation, somethign that can be picked up by a regular video recorder, but that isn't visibile to the naked eye, or that can be 'filtered' and revelead?

Nygdan, you are a genius. Seriously.

Here's the thinkg, though -- the videos are compressed/filtered and I believe that the only copies of the Zarqawi's videos were internet ones. Of course there is such a thing as digital watermark, but it's not clear to me at all hoe well it would survive the compression.

So, while this is a brilliant idea, I doubt this is workable.

On the other hand, let's assume there is a 1 month log of satellite survelliance data. You see a bunch of people and a particular type of pickup truck wide in the open. Is it not possible to find such "signature" in the recorded visual data? I think it is. Imagine -- on a flat surface, there is a truck and a bunch of dudes. Pattern recognition quite doable.

[edit on 9-6-2006 by Aelita]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I read that some of his own men might have helped with his location.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I read that some of his own men might have helped with his location.

You mean this one.

blogs.abcnews.com...

An Iraqi customs agent secretly working with Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's terror cell spilled the beans on the group after he was arrested, Jordanian officials tell ABC News.

Ziad Khalaf Raja al-Karbouly was arrested by Jordanian intelligence forces last spring.

Officials say Karbouly confessed to his role in the terror cell and provided crucial information on the names of Zarqawi commanders and locations of their safe houses.

Karbouly also admitted to his role in the kidnappings of two Moroccan embassy employees, four Iraqi National Guards and an Iraqi finance ministry official.

In a videotaped confession, Karbouly said he acted on direct orders from Zarqawi.

Officials say he will not be eligible for any of the $25 million reward money.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
that's not where I read it but it fits the bill.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Officials say he will not be eligible for any of the $25 million reward money.

Perfect. Another 25 million saved. this is great! we could buy at least 50 hammers with this kind of cash. help rebuild a Iraqi school! yay!

-Reason

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by Nygdan

Nygdan, you are a genius. Seriously.

Here's the thinkg, though -- the videos are compressed/filtered and I believe that the only copies of the Zarqawi's videos were internet ones.

Ah, yet another problem with the idea!

Also, I'd think that, even given the original recording, that there arne't that many 'signals' that can be picked up by a recorder and not the human eye (at least not many that can be broadcasted over a certain area).

But you're right, it'd have to be, on way or another, something that gets recorded 'visually', rather than being 'hidden' in the data itself someway.

new topics

top topics

join