It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violence on the Rise in US Cities

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I think it is hypocrisy to blame one form of media and not another. There are dozens if not hundreds of movies, books, and games that glorify the same concepts some people would try to pin on to certain music genres, if not worse.

I personally believe if crime actually is going up nationally, it is a result of parents "not having time" , or "working several jobs to put food on the table", to teach and ingrain proper morals in to their children.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
yep, anyone read the book freakonomics (might have spent it wrong). It actually says that crime was caused by abortion being banned. Parents who couldn't abort there children were forced to have them, thus neglecting them, raising bad children. When abortion came into play, the neglecting went down because how many unwanted children went down. Aweful as it may sound, if unwanted children arent born, it said that they were more likely to see crime go down.

Judge it how you will, Im just stating what one book said could be the possiblity to it all.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Fair enough.

If you want to blame violence on rap and heavy metal music, then don't forget to blame country western music for inbreeding, adultery, and drunk driving.

I don't know what sort of country music have you heard, but what i have heard does not glorify neither inbreeding, adultery nor drunk driving.... and how many "young people" listen to country music?....

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
And don't forget to blame classical music for racism. Hitler had a big hard-on for Wagner.

Now skadi, that is a stupid thing to say and you know it.... Classical music does not have any lyrics.... Just because Hitler listened to classical music it does not mean classical music is "racist".....
You are grabbing at straws now...

What are the role models for many, or a mayority of young people these days?... Is it country music artists? Is it classical music dead artists?...

Not all rap music nor heavy metal have violent lyrics, but the most famous songs glorify violence and resistance against cops and authorities, and that's what a mayority of young people are listening to.

The "Gangsta culture" is en vogue among youths these days, and whether you want to admit it or not, a lot of young people see these "musicians" as role models.

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Let me actually show you what I am talking about.

Blowing the Whistle on Gangsta Culture
December 22, 2005
New York Times
By Bob Herbert

Edwin "E. J." Duncan was a young man from a decent family who spent a great deal of time with his friends in an amateur recording studio his parents had set up for him in the basement of their home in the Dorchester neighborhood.

It was in that studio that Duncan, along with three of his closest friends, was murdered last week, shot to death by a killer or killers who have yet to be found. Whoever carried out the executions, it seems clear enough to me that young Duncan and his friends were among the latest victims of the profoundly self-destructive cultural influences that have spread like a cancer through much of the black community and beyond.

I keep wondering when leaders of eminence will step forward and declare, unambiguously, that enough is enough, as they did in the heyday of the civil rights movement, when the enemy was white racism.

It is time to blow the whistle on the nitwits who have so successfully promoted a values system that embraces murder, drug-dealing, gang membership, misogyny, child abandonment and a sense of self so diseased that it teaches children to view the men in their orbit as niggaz and the women as hoes.

However this madness developed, it's time to bring it to an end.

I noticed that Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan, Snoop Dogg and other "leaders" and celebrities turned out in South Central Los Angeles on Tuesday for the funeral of Stanley "Tookie" Williams, the convicted killer and co-founder of the Crips street gang who was executed in California last week.

I remember talking over the years to parents in Los Angeles and elsewhere who were petrified that their children would be killed in cold blood - summarily executed, without any possibility of a defense or an appeal - by the Crips or some other gang because they just happened to be wearing the wrong color cap or jacket or whatever.

The enthusiastic turnout at Tookie Williams's funeral tells you much of what you need to know about the current state of black leadership in the U.S.

The slaughter of E. J. Duncan, who was 21, and his friends - Jason Bachiller, 21; Jihad Chankhour, 22; and Christopher Vieira, 19 - was all but literally accompanied by a hip-hop soundtrack. Duncan, Bachiller and Vieira were members of a rap group called Graveside, which favored the rough language and violent imagery that has enthralled so many youngsters and bolstered the bottom lines of major entertainment companies.

www.fradical.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
kids listen to country, just depends on where you live. Even here in jersey I have a few friends who listen to country I even listen from time to time. Mostly rap, but also jazz and country. Some country songs are bad, but you dont here them much.

You have to realize not all rap music is bad, and these corporate music places are the ones really hyping this stuff up. They could just as easy sign Immortal Technique who is one of the biggest underground artists ever, going gold without any major label. Why doesnt he? because he doesnt rap about what the other rappers rap about. You want a conspiracy, look into what artists get signed by major labels.

Kids will buy whatever is hyped and cool. Right now business has made this type of rap cool, and you can best believe it works. Think of it like this, would you rather have fans buying up albums about buying alcohol, drugs, and hurting eachother, or a rapper rapping about reading and finding out the truth for themselves and stop listening to the media for truth.

Its pretty clear that the gangster lifestyle makes profits. I mean look at all the people going to jail, that generates money. Alcohol profits, all those drugs that seem to find their way into our country *cough cough* CIA*cough cough*. Medical bills from people that dont die, and that do. Violence makes a hell of a profit, from the jailed to the killed. What profit can be made off of education? Cant take advantage of your customer if they are smart.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
i never said that no kid listens to country, but does the mayority listen to country music?....

Companies advertise certain singers only for a reason...because they are what young people are listening to these days. Nothing more, nothing less... People are the ones who buy the CDs, and people are the ones who put singers in the charts, not companies, companies just profit from what people want to listen to.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Muaddib I think you should take a deeper look at the history of rap music, and just how it got here. Personally I believe rap music died with tupac, because when he died, its like rap music got transformed into a plain and simple hate music. There was no more meaning, only from underground artists who couldnt get signed no matter how good they were.

Do I think rap now is stupid, yes, and I dont listen to anything mainstream anymore. Do I think its the cause to violence, no. I think it encourages it, but thats not what causes it. The causes is never music or movies, its right at home.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
how many times you had a fight in school cause like to see how bad it is?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Do I think rap now is stupid, yes, and I dont listen to anything mainstream anymore. Do I think its the cause to violence, no. I think it encourages it, but thats not what causes it. The causes is never music or movies, its right at home.

i know people who grew up in violent homes, yet they are now better parents and husbands/wives than their parents ever were...

It is all about choice, and if you choose to listen to music that only tells you to kill, and maime, eventually you will see those actions as "something normal".

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
i never said that no kid listens to country, but idoes the mayority listen to country music?....

Companies advertise certain singers only for a reason...because they are what young people are listening to these days. Nothing more, nothing less... People are the ones who buy the CDs, and people are the ones who put singers in the charts, not companies, companies just profit from what people want to listen to.

LOL, you act as though these kids actually make choices and decide what is cool and what isnt'. You think the media sells it because thats what kids like, but its the other way around. If they can hype something enough the right way, they can get people to like it, regardless of anything else. Companies advertise it because its the best decision. There is a bigger profit in violence then there is in peace. Its that simple. Everything makes more money when there are problems. Thats the way it is. If a company needs to create violence in order to make money, then it will make it the in thing.

You can make profits off of jail, profits in hospitals, profits in more law enforcement, profits in so many ways. You cant make video games off of peace. You dont need more law enforcement if theres not much violence, and you cant get people to follow whatever you say if they are educated. Its that simple.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
i know people who grew up in violent homes, yet they are now better parents and husbands/wives than their parents ever were...

It is all about choice, and if you choose to listen to music that only tells you to kill, and maime, eventually you will see those actions as "something normal".

I never once said every person in a bad home is going to be gangster murders. I just said that its a reason for violence. Sure if you listen to violent music, then your more prone to it...but just what makes them listen to it? you need to ask yourself WHY they are listening to it. Its not causing it.

There is something causing people to be drawn to violence, and its not because its what everyone since not everyone does it. there is a large group that doesnt listen to this. so WHY are kids turning to violence, its because of home. they dont have to be beaten, just neglected or felt unwanted.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
OK I'm myself am 16 I dont think rap music make people want to kill but had 3 FIGHTS THIS WEEK and I dont start it something as small bumbing into to people I have to defend my self there were some fight I really worry for my life!!!!!!! This is not hype I would know and this is a white town so not many would have gun if I live someplace else

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It seems to me that, corporate america is turning it's back on the employees that have made them rich. As the founding members of large company boards retire or die, younger generations take over and care less about the employees (middle class) that have built their wealth. They seem to think more about, "What can I get out of this for myself." They want more for less... this leads to layoffs or reduced workforces. If people that have become accustomed to a certain life style with families and financial responsibilities lose that security, which is happening more and more, desperate times call for desperate measures.
"Fun With Dick And Jane" was a comedy, but how much truth is there in that concept?
As the cost of living goes up and our wages don't, we'll keep seeing a rise in desperation. More families w/ both parents at work means more unsupervised kids.
Who can afford daycare with gas prices the way they are? It's almost like you'd be paying for daycare just to go to work.
As long as corporate america continues to sell out the hard working american crime will continue to rise.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
It is very easy to "blame corporate America" or "the family" or "society" for the choices people themselves make. Do people decide who makes it to the charts? in case you haven't noticed, yes they do.... If companies decide to keep getting more artists who sing only about crime and violence, it is because people are asking for these things. You can only make a profit from things that people want.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm way past the "Music made me do it..." mentality.
I'm talking about hard working people trying to provide for their families and getting "layed off" after 15 years of working at a company that demands their loyalty and will sell them out to increase their own profits.
When that man or woman has worked hard and provided for his family and suddenly his job is not deemed necessary, because they can find someone else to do it for less, that person still has to put food on the table and pay the bills...
It is "easy to blame corporate america", because it's easy to see, they have alot to do with the rise of crime in america.
Does sex and violence sell, sure.... Did I ever say that it didn't ? No....

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
That has been happening for ever, it is nothing new. Life goes on, and believe it or not, there will always be need for people with skills. Life is hard, nobody should be expecting life to be easy. You just have to make the best of it with what you got. There are people out there who are in their 30s 40s and 50s and they are going back to school. Life is what you make of it, and sometimes life throws bricks at you but what are you going to do, sit down and pity about yourself or your situation all day and complain about it all day?...or should you be working to improve your life?

You want to see the bad things in life and endulge in them and let them pull you down, i prefer concentrating in the future and concentrate on the good things in life. Yeah, bad things happens to people, but there will always be tomorrow and tomorrow is full of possibilities.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
It's a sociocultural issue, not a music issue. Music simply happens to be the most visible part. Youth culture values, like the rap music, violence, drugs, and sex.

THAT is what drives people away from decent jobs. Kids these days want to easy payoffs, the good life, without working for it, and drugs seem to be the way there. And with the drug life goes a creedo of violence...

DE

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Muaddib, you can believe that people drive the industry...but I live in the world with these kids, and the industry drives them. Whatever trend gets put out there, gets big. It doesnt get big because everyone thinks its great. I have friends that think Immortal Technique is better then all the other rappers out, and I garentee he would sell huge. Theres more to it then meets the eye.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Muaddib, you can believe that people drive the industry...but I live in the world with these kids, and the industry drives them.

I disagree.

The individual thinkers decide what is cool, not MTV, video games, movie stars or child marketing. The individual decides what they think is cool and everyone else tries to emulate.

Peers steer the herd, know what i'm sayin'.

[edit on 11-6-2006 by vinrock]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Yes the individual decides whats cool and everyone tries to emulate...the individuals are the ones running the country now though. The owners of the companies are the ones deciding whats cool.

If you trace it to the bare roots of it all, I mean the real roots, you find that media influences more then anything else, except maybe parents. See you have to look at it like why do these kids like certain things? they like it because they think its cool. Even the individuals you refered to. Why do you think they think its cool? They think its cool because on TV they saw media images that made it look cool. They saw a rich guy with cars and money, all the hot women, the lavish lifestyle...they thought it was cool. This is all when they were young kids. They saw it and it sunk in on them. they though that was the thing to be. They had everything if they were this or that. later on in life they see that and go, thats whats cool.

If you look at a persons mind close enough, nothing is just completely random. Nothing is spontanious or unexplainable. There are tendencies and clues. Every action has something behind it, whether you see it or not. Whether they themselves realize it, there is something driving them to make those decisions. Everything has reason to a degree. These kids are no different. There is a reason if you look there.

This kid isnt just randomly going wow this is cool, thats cool. There is something that made that click, and its usually media related. Portrayal in the media equals influence. That portrayal is made by the same people running the stations. They arent telling you what is or isnt cool, because they don't have to. All they have to do is make that image as desirable and positive as possible, and youll do the rest for them. its good business

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join