It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did all the buttons go?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tha Troubleshoota

Did you notice the 'edit' button was gone?

It's not gone, it just keeps moving around, while SO is trying to get the format the way he wants it, imo.

I have been watching it grow, move to the left, have a larger outline, etc...

Still contininues...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What's the "use restrictions" button?
I've never noticed that before.

EDIT:
Got it, its the CC liscence. (sorry)

[edit on 9/6/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23
What's the "use restrictions" button?
I've never noticed that before.

i wondered that as well

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure what others think of this, but I find the "use restrictions" link worded awkwardly.

The wording makes it sound like an optional action available to the user.

I think "usage restrictions" would make more sense. Or better yet, the ever popular "terms of use".

[edit on 9-6-2006 by Xenophobe]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So, does this make it 5.1? Not sure how those things work.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Count

There are other ways to go around that problem other than catering to the lowest common denominator. Akamai for example.
Even though it's nice to do everything by yourself, it's by no means necessary to do so. Granted, I don't know how much Akamai would charge for caching the icon data, but I'm sure someone here will know.

I understand why this happened, but that doesn't make me like it...

Akamai's services would have ZERO impact on our problem, it's not about bandwidth, application running or server space, it's about HUGE db queries and serving pages with the data needed. NOTHING but reducing the overhead in that data will help which is exactly what S.O. has done...

Springer...

[edit on 6-9-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
NOTHING but reducing the overhead in that data will help which is exactly what S.O. has done...

Great job, SkepticOverlord!

It seems that most of the members who have voiced an opinion here at least, like the change.

I myself have been struggling to do what I can on my end to improve my sluggish dialup connection.

This latest improvement to the site, is by far one of the best yet!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Uncertain Terms

Originally posted by Xenophobe
I think "usage restrictions" would make more sense. Or better yet, the ever popular "terms of use".

Or maybe just "License".

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Akamai's services would have ZERO impact on our problem

Actually, I looked into this about 4 months ago. You're right in that it would have minimal effect on our database/server issues, it would improve the user experience in a graphic-intense website.

However, back then, based on our traffic of about March, would have cost nearly $3,000 in monthly charges from Akamai... not likely.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Akamai's services would have ZERO impact on our problem, it's not about bandwidth, application running or server space, it's about HUGE db queries and serving pages with the data needed.

So, would something like a Google Appliance help the situation any?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
They look remarkably similar to what we had before...

Great job.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Akamai's services would have ZERO impact on our problem, it's not about bandwidth, application running or server space, it's about HUGE db queries and serving pages with the data needed. NOTHING but reducing the overhead in that data will help which is exactly what S.O. has done...

And here I was, thinking that the icon button images were static content and not generated on the fly from the database
I stand corrected then, but that just doesn't make much sense at all.
What I know from forums is that it doesn't make a difference if you have an image to go with a link or not unless you're also serving the image from the database, which is both unnecessary and downright stupid thing to do in the first place.

[Edit: Ah yes, SO had already looked into it, and I agree that the cost isn't justifiable. Even though I find the new look dull, I don't have the required $3k to donate every month
]

[edit on 10/6/06 by Count]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Count
And here I was, thinking that the icon button images were static content and not generated on the fly from the database
I stand corrected then, but that just doesn't make much sense at all.

What I know from forums is that it doesn't make a difference if you have an image to go with a link or not unless you're also serving the image from the database, which is both unnecessary and downright stupid thing to do in the first place.

Serving a unique page with thousands of variables, all of which have to be mined from the database, to several thousand people at the same time is the problem. A bunch of 6kb images eats the db servers lunch compared to several 6b text files. Are you getting it now?

What you don't seem to grasp is when 80,000 - 100,000 unique people a day surf your site in their own unique way your data base has to write those pages to them the way they "ordered them". When your pages are comprised of as many different types of data as ours are, short of load balancing, (thats next for us) there isn't much you can do except reduce the number of image files being served that aren't necessary.

Springer...

[edit on 6-10-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenophobe
So, would something like a Google Appliance help the situation any?

Hmm.... $30k for up to 500,000 documents... You do realise ATS comprises about 1.5 million pages!

Anyway, that functionality is not related to what the header redesign's purpose was. We are continually attempting to extend the longitivity of our servers by decreasing the number of required processes handled by the CPUs so that things don't get bogged down when thousands of people are wandering around ATS at the same time.

[edit on 10-6-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Is manipulation complete? Or, as was said at the end of the 9th century--"Everything that can be known is already known!" ??

Imagine what is possible, with today's technology. They probably have access to our phone numbers if they want. They can probably reduce us to Lurkers with the push of a button.

In my case, there is nothing on this site that I do not already know or suspect. But, maybe they just don't want us "showing up to complain."

Who knows?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by joshai2334
Is manipulation complete? Or, as was said at the end of the 9th century--"Everything that can be known is already known!" ??

Imagine what is possible, with today's technology. They probably have access to our phone numbers if they want. They can probably reduce us to Lurkers with the push of a button.

In my case, there is nothing on this site that I do not already know or suspect. But, maybe they just don't want us "showing up to complain."

Who knows?

what??? where did that come from dude?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Everything takes up too much space; it's so spread out, who can find a "reply" button? But they do what they do--like everybody else. No conventions exist anymore. Follow your preferences, is the rule.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   

But they do what they do--like everybody else.

Since you have only just registered here, I will point out a couple of things. Those in power here have been doing this for quite some time. I have only been here a few months myself, but I have seen the boards here get really slow for those on a dialup connection.

They do what they do to keep ATS running at a decent pace. I have had times where pages were taking literally several minutes to load during very high traffic here.

I applaud the administration here, and SkepticOverlord, in particular, for taking the time, to ensure that when members click on a link here, it loads as smoothly as possible.

The moral of the story, as I see it, no matter how good things are, there are those that will find something to complain about.

If you don't like it here, you do have options, rather than bashing the powers that be, for their efforts.

My two cents.

edit = correct typos.

And by the way, the 'Reply' buttons are at the top and bottom of every page.

If you have any questions, please ask.

[edit on 6/10/2006 by Mechanic 32]

[edit on 6/10/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If faster loading was the intention, then that's legit. I'm not just trying to be rude.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   

If faster loading was the intention, then that's legit. I'm not just trying to be rude.

Okay, then.

It just sounded that way.

I'm sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join