It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help us FIND a PIECE of HISTORY!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Recently AboveTopSecret.com, LLP created a forum for one of the Vietnam era's most gregarious, "cool" and down right inspired characters, Dave Rabbit.

Dave's legacy is that of the underground Showman who had one desire, to get his fellow young servicemen through a day in the hell that was the Vietnam war with a smile on their faces.

This guy did an "underground radio" broadcast everyday for 21 days from a whorehouse in Saigon! Pirate radio was born in Saigon in 1971...

Dave's ATS Forum, FM 69 Radio First Termer can be seen here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's the point, Dave and "crew" created 21 of these jewels and only one survives in its entirety. The simple fact that one was recorded has got my mind to wondering if there isn't more episodes of the show "out there"...

Seeing as how Germany seems to be the likely origination of the wildfire recording, re-recording and dissemination of this fabulously FUNNY piece of history it occurred to me that ATS, being a global site, would be a great place to start the world wide hunt for more Radio First Termer Recordings.

Do you know a Vietnam Veteran? ASK them if they remember a crazy pirate radio show in January, 1971. Ask them if they ever knew anyone who had a recording of it, it will be on reel to reel tape.

Let's see if we can uncover some genuine conspiratorial HISTORY.

Springer...

[edit on 6-8-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I dont know if this helps you or not:

Corey: What's in the future for Dave Rabbit? Another show maybe?

Dave:Well, I just finished the final version of my Music Bio Video DVD "Dave Rabbit's Vietnam - The Road To Radio First Termer", which you now have an advanced copy of. I did it as something to be included in the "Sir, No Sir" SPECIAL FEATURES for David Zeiger, who has become a good friend and advisor.

Somewhere down the road....I might release it commercially after "Sir, No Sir" does it's run and DVD sales. Of course, technology permitting, it might just end up on the internet and start a life of it's own too as did Radio First Termer. Who knows.

Source

I am working on a 35th Anniversary Radio First Termer show as I type. It will duplicate in concept the original shows, have lots of CLASSIC CLIPS, ORIGINAL MATERIAL, and ROCK & ROLL. It will be done basically as a FLASH BACK show keeping that 1971 edge and era burned in my memory. I have also actually toyed with flying to Saigon (sorry... will never feel comfortable calling it Ho Chi Minh City) and actually taping the show there LIVE. Of course, it would be a VIDEO of the show being done, but have all of the stuff too. Just something I have kicked around that might be fun to do.

[edit on 8-6-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
but Pirate radio started way before - most of Radio One's DJ's in the UK were from Radio Caroline - and that started in 1967 (Radio One that is - first song Flowers in the Rain). Sorry to be picky but its a fact here in the UK - we dodnt deregulate our airwaves for a long time.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hi Silk.....

I think what Springer is saying, MILITARY or WAR ZONE...... not Pirate Radio in general. If there is a DOCUMENTED case in the UK of an active duty BRITISH SOLDIER doing an UNDERGROUND RADIO SHOW like I did with Radio First Termer Vietnam.... BEFORE January 1971.... I would love to know about it and, hopefully, connect somehow with them. To my knowledge, I was the first.

Just one opinion.

Dave

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I did mean in a war zone... Under cover, and being gunned for by more than just the enemy.
The base commander wanted Rabbit's ears on his office wall!

Springer...

[edit on 6-9-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
This guy did an "underground radio" broadcast everyday for 21 days from a whorehouse in Saigon! Pirate radio was born in Saigon in 1971...

Originally posted by Silk
but Pirate radio started way before - most of Radio One's DJ's in the UK were from Radio Caroline - and that started in 1967 (Radio One that is - first song Flowers in the Rain). Sorry to be picky but its a fact here in the UK - we dodnt deregulate our airwaves for a long time.

Originally posted by Springer
I did mean in a war zone... Under cover, and being gunned for by more than just the enemy.
The base commander wanted Rabbit's ears on his office wall!

Springer...

[edit on 6-9-2006 by Springer]

Pirate radio existed long before 1971. It actually existed in the United Kingdom, prior to World War Two and was on going during World War Two, so people were in a State of War when they did it. It was in fact, made illegal to broadcast in British waters in 1967 [Marine Offences Act.]

---

Back to the main purpose of the thread. I do believe, you can get a lot of clips from many shows. Maybe someone on ATS could splice them together in the right places? Might be worth a go. Although it'd be very time consuming to work out and then edit it.

You could try and make it an ATS and off-site project? There are many sites like the one, Will Snyder has which could help.

[edit on 9/6/2006 by Odium]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hi Odium....

Are you saying that an IN SERVICE British Troop was doing an UNDERGROUND PROGRAM which was anti-establishment back in WWII? Can you cite WHO, WHERE and anything else about this that can be searched out? I would LOVE to find out more..... and I have given Will MORE than he can handle right now with our movie projects.

Thanks for your post and look forward to hearing more of a predecessor.

Dave

[edit on 6/9/2006 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Radio Luxembourg, did for three weeks after the invasion in 1940. It was still having songs shipped in from outside and shows played, till it was taken over by Großdeutscher Rundfunk. Which was used to broadcast over the allies. Legal to the Germans, but illegal to the British.

Source
Radio has been an important part of the effort of the United States military to export the stateside popular culture to troops in the field. Before World War II, in the Canal Zone and in Alaska, servicemen had created primitive radio stations. Once hostilities erupted, soldiers spontaneously started stations in the Philippines and in Casablanca. Only later in the war did Armed Forces Radio begin to train broadcasters and provide radio equipment for stations that sprang up in all combat theaters. Likewise, in Vietnam, during the early advisory period, the few military personnel stationed there had to create their own stations, not only in Saigon, but wherever U.S. troops and advisors found themselves in remote areas.

There also was one illegal radio station in Germany. For the life of me the name escapes me though. It must be in some of my notes, so I'll check through them for you Dave.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Well... seems like I come from a long heritage of Military Pirate DJ's..... that is really neat. I don't mind giving up the "First" slot..... but I really want to learn as much as I can about the pioneers. It seems, as history seems to prove out, that I have been singled out for my show in the Vietnam era, although I do know for a fact that there were numerous Army personnel that use to use their field radios to transmit music to the firebases, etc. Feel free to E-Mail me directly on any sites or whatever where I can dig into the history. I really LOVE this kind of thing. Thanks again.

[email protected]

Dave

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
i read this thread with real intrest...

its funny how people fight wars and with what weapons isnt it?

Dave, i salute your blatant tom foolery and spirit raising antics!..well played that man.

If you cant laugh..whats the point of it all?

(apart from pulling hot chicks and driving spanky italian sports cars, obviously)

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

If you cant laugh..whats the point of it all?

Hi optimus fett.... (Bobo's Brother?
)

Is your Avatar from the "Outer Limits"? Sure looks familiar... NICE!

Anyway... the QUOTE above is my EPITAPH..... I believed that in Saigon... I believe that now. Thanks for taking the time to make a post.

Dave

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I just saw this thread and because i use p2p apps to dl music i did a quick search and came up with some mp3s of this show.It might be the one mentioned show but i dont know for sure so i uploaded it to rapidshare for those who want it.Its made up of 46 single mp3s each about 1-2 minutes long

so heres the link : rapidshare.de...

To download do the following (the site is in german) but speeds are really good:

Klick on the link, scroll down and you will see 2 buttons-premium and free,klick on the free button,another page comes up, looking carefully you will see a timer counting down backwards for approx. 40 seconds , wait till time is up, next the page will change a bit and you will see the following :

Kein Premium-User. (some 3 digit number/letters) Bitte hier eingeben: add those numbers/letters here

then press the download via... button

If you dont press the download button immediatly and rather wait several minutes the download session wont work and youi will have to start from scratch.

On another note ive discovered another user who also has 4 mp3s each approx 45 minutes long of the show,ill try to get those downloaded and up them as well ,who knows that might be a different show

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Hi Fett Pinkus....

This is the KNOWN SHOW. Interesting site though.... similar to "YouSendIt". This version is an UNRESTORED VERSION. We have on our site the CLEANED-UP and RESTORED ...... COMPLETE SHOW and what this is which you provided which is the BITS and GAGS.

Thanks so much for taking the time..... the SEARCH CONTINUES!

Dave

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy!

Dave

[edit on 6/13/2006 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Find Out MORE......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Dave

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This may sound stupid, but has anyone thought to do a Freedom of Information request to the NSA and other government agencies to see if the shows were recorded by them? It might be a long shot, but I seem to remember reading that radio transmissions in South Vietnam were monitored to try to locate Viet Cong sympathizers. If they do have these broadcasts giving them up wouldn't hurt national security and might buy the NSA some badly needed goodwill

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Rabbit
Hi Silk.....

I think what Springer is saying, MILITARY or WAR ZONE...... not Pirate Radio in general. If there is a DOCUMENTED case in the UK of an active duty BRITISH SOLDIER doing an UNDERGROUND RADIO SHOW like I did with Radio First Termer Vietnam.... BEFORE January 1971.... I would love to know about it and, hopefully, connect somehow with them. To my knowledge, I was the first.

Just one opinion.

Dave

Dave Rabbit, you're the man. I bet at the time you had NO IDEA where this thing would go...as you probably were just looking at lightening the load during soldiers' terms in Indian Country. Hats off to ya.

I hope that someone can, in fact, produce bootleg recordings off the air. It would be a great thing to see that these are in some way centralized and kept for posterity!

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Rabbit
Well... seems like I come from a long heritage of Military Pirate DJ's..... that is really neat. I don't mind giving up the "First" slot..... but I really want to learn as much as I can about the pioneers. It seems, as history seems to prove out, that I have been singled out for my show in the Vietnam era, although I do know for a fact that there were numerous Army personnel that use to use their field radios to transmit music to the firebases, etc. Feel free to E-Mail me directly on any sites or whatever where I can dig into the history. I really LOVE this kind of thing. Thanks again.

[email protected]

Dave

Nature abhors a vacuum, and when "The Man" trys to keep anyone down, especially "whitey" then whitey always finds a way around! It does not suprise me that these things sprung up unaware of each other. People need a release under stressful conditions no matter what.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

This may sound stupid, but has anyone thought to do a Freedom of Information request to the NSA and other government agencies to see if the shows were recorded by them? It might be a long shot, but I seem to remember reading that radio transmissions in South Vietnam were monitored to try to locate Viet Cong sympathizers. If they do have these broadcasts giving them up wouldn't hurt national security and might buy the NSA some badly needed goodwill

I hate to disappoint you...... but I seriously doubt the GOVERNMENT would have any part in recording Radio First Termer...... PERIOD! There was NO FRIGGING WAY brother. Will Snyder actually DID a FOA trying to find recordings before I came out of the Rabbit Hole .... and would you believe it.... the government said they had no data. Of course, they wouldn't acknowledge it even if they did.... and they sure wouldn't tell anyone if they DID have a recording or two. If anyone had MORE of the quality level that the lost show seemed to have... it would have been those boys in the Radio Relay Towers as they were receiving the PURE SIGNAL.

Again... thanks for your post.

Dave

[edit on 6/21/2006 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
what are you look for maybe i can help find it and we can get it where it blongs

top topics

<<   2 >>

join