It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NHS test for Down's Syndrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   
THis can only be good news for uk women!!!!

Every pregnant woman in Britain will be entitled to take an NHS test for Down's Syndrome under new medical guidelines.

www.sky.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Its about time they started doing this sort of thing on the NHS...it will save more money in the long run

its a great idea!!

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'm sure these tests were already avaliable, probably on request. The question is, is it good news in that women can tell if their baby has downs syndrome with a view to earlier (or promotion of) abortion, or that they will have longer to prepare for the birth of such a kid? I'm not sure myself...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
I'm sure these tests were already avaliable, probably on request.

they are. amniocentesis (testing the embrionic fluid), can detect Down's syndrome and other genetic stuff (like spinal bifida and cystic fibrosis). it's been around for a very long while...my mom had it done when she was pregnang with my brother, and he was born in 1984.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I have reservations on this subject as I work with some people with downs syndrome and the perception of them has changed massively over the years. Most, if they are supported and helped in the early years, rather than left to rot in large institutions, go on to be useful fully functioning members of society with a role and a contribution to make. Even the older ones who were overlooked years ago still display a high rate of intelligence and ability. I understand that all parents want their children to be perfect and I cannot push my own morals and ideals onto a woman expecting such a child as the choice ultimately lies with her but this whole area makes me uneasy.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I don't like it. So what's the point?

Has the UK decided that weeding out the less than perfect will help decrease national health costs? Does anyone understand that a DS baby has a fairly high probability of living a functional life at some level?

Does everyone have to be flawless in order to get the chance to live? Can some one say 1940's???

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I think my comment may of been missunderstood
and after reading what you all have wrote so far makes me think even more...

i thought it was a good idea due to having more time to prepare, all children deserve a chance
my own sister has major learning difficulty's due to part of her brain not working
but she is a happy bright kid in other ways ...and a wizz at sport...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Im not sure but i think that there is a risk (though a very small one) to the baby while taking some amniotic fluid.

And the risk factor for having a baby with downs syndrome, increases very quickly when a woman has passed 35-40. After that the likelyhood that the baby will be affected is around 30% or more.

I hope im right on this, cause its my job! LOL

top topics

join