It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Download Windows Vista NOW!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I have most things up and running ok.

I am still lacking a "working" driver for x-fi soundcard for vista 64bit.
I also found that firefox 64bit (dearfield) did not want to load properly-so it's ie 7 4 now (wimpers).

I am currently looking for that driver and a softwear firewall that will work with vista 64bit.
None have worked ,yet and zonealarm beta 64bit is no long avail.-that is i can't find a valid link (they say they have enough beta testers).

I ran ccleaner and it removed about 200 megs of crap.
I ran adawear and it found 120 high risk tracking cookies
I ran spybot and found i only hjad the log file to remove. NOTE:spybot would nevr remove this log file in xp 32bit!!!!!

Boy, office 07 took forever to load......

Current softwear list includes:vista, spybot, adawear, ccleaner, avast antivirus. thgis is currently using 20GIGS of space-DAMN.
I have this on 120gi hd, but this is a big FAT os.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Agreed monsoon. this is a very bloated os, after 3 days i was up to 45 gigs used. If you read some of the features on the vista website...ie Super Prefetch and some of the security progs, i can see why its bloated.

Their 64bit support was hit and miss on somethings in xp x64 much less a beta 64bit OS. I had an idea the 64bit version would be even buggier. thanx for let me know it kinda is.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I made the download at work on Friday but I forgot it.

Today I remembered that I needed to make the DVD, but I forgot again.

But from what I have seen from a previous build, and unless they have broken something, I will have no problems instaling it.

I will install it as soon as I rembember making the DVD, this way I may try to see if all our software (I work in a small software house) can work in Vista.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
dialup download update.....

Just reached the first 1GB. This will probably take the rest of the week. Much longer than anticipated. I figured four days, max. But I did'nt consider other factors such as the time I spend here on ATS slows down the download. Plus I am using my cellphone as a modem, through a bluetooth connection. Too many variables, makes for an unstable connection, at times. Then I have to reset the phone, etc, etc...

God, I wish I had A T-1 or better connection.....

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I guess I get the 32bit version

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I just need work with it. When I got my computer it was in really bad shape (it was reallllllllllllyyyyyyyy bad) but after working with it for a few days I got it running like a fine tune race car. I bet if I get this I can do the and same make vista and work fine.

Man I'm cocky

[edit on 12-6-2006 by El Che]

[edit on 12-6-2006 by El Che]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Che

I bet if I get this I can do the and same make vista and work fine.

Don't forget this is only a Beta Version, for testing purposes. Expect the unexpected.

Check S1Lv3r4dos post a couple posts back, on the previous page. His ran for three days, then crapped out.

[edit on 6/12/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
OH GOD DAMN that bad I guess your right but I can still try if I'm careful i might get right who knows.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Che
OH GOD DAMN that bad I guess your right but I can still try if I'm careful i might get right who knows.

I'm doing this out of curiosity myself. I have heard many things about vista, both good and bad. I have a spare hard drive, that I am going to install on, so I don't screw up the one I would normally use with xp. I'm not sure what file system vista-32 uses, but it has been mentioned here, that a bad install can wreck a hard drive.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
They didnt incorporate WinFS into this beta so its only NTFS, ur safe. Mechanic, a t-1 is only 1.5meg up and down. I only have a 768k upload with my cable but an 8mbps download which translates to in realtime 1000kBps. megabits and megabytes, it takes 8 bits to make a Byte. half the time the telco companies are bsin you with the ads, they barely have a clue what mbps is, much less that there is a difference in b and B lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yeah, I hear what ur saying about the telco's. I don't pay a cent for my internet connection, so I'm not complaining really. But why this d/l have to be so monsterously huge!!
Other than this particular download, I'm okay with my little 12-20 kbps connection. lol

--------------------*UPDATE* ---------------------

My connection crapped out once again. Once I restarted everything, the download started from zero again. Needless to say, I won't be attempting another download of this size again. I'll just have to wait for beter means to become available, for me to obtain an installation disc for vista. Good Luck everyone else!

[edit on 6/13/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Oh dear..i can remember the days of MS Dos 5.1 and the first versions of windows.Every new version of Windows seems to grow expotentially in size from the last release,both in terms of storage space and system requirements.Im quite happy using XP which is light years more stable than what was experienced under "shudder" Win 95,98 and the rest.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Finally got my copy of Vista up and running...Had to resort to the 32-bit version though - I downloaded the 64-bit twice and put it on 4 DVDs....Now I have a nice set of coasters

I'll vouch for the system resource hog comments though....My PC flew on XP - Vista makes all my short-comings a little more noticeable - And I didn't think I had many considering it was freshly built in February...

An AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz processor
2GB DDR PC 3200 RAM
256MB GeForce 6800 GS
350GB 7200RPM Hard drive

And I get an overall 3 performance rating

Funny - Windows Vista will now suggest what it can do to make your computer perform better - It suggests I sacrifice a few programs that came preinstalled with Vista

Driver issues with my Creative sound card, but luckily I've got onboard audio....

Photoshop CS2 runs fine, but you have to run the program as an Administrator to get it to open properly - An option available under the shortcut properties...

A few programs like Norton and AVG had compatibility issues...

The GUI is nothing short of spectacular though, I have to admit....It's like running one giant Xbox 360....Nice new flashy graphical spins on the standard Windows games...

Office is something I've really yet to play around with...I noticed however in opening an Excel 2003 document that things where a little disheveled from the way they looked on XP....Hopefully I can have both versions of Office installed so I can switch between...

I plan on running Vista for a while though - Hopefully I can break the three day barrier!
I've got everything backed up in duplicates, so I'm even ready for Vista to try and consume my external hard drive in some unpredictable fashion

Bring it on!

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Hmmm..now that we have some info and probably some vista thursty members...how about lets see some PICTURES !!!!! Im sure that there are ALOT of people out there that would love to see some pictures of some of the awesome features Vista has to offer. Rather than just the pictures of the desktop that you can look up on google...show us some stuff this thing really has!

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
One thing I noticed about this version, build 5384, is that it take much more disk space, it takes twice the time to reach the login screen but has a much more "user friendly" appearance than the other that I had seen, build 5308.

OK, now for my case.

Instalation was smooth but slow:
Copying Windows files - 17 minutes
Expandig files - 52 minutes
From the restart to the end of instalation - 12 minutes

I should had defraged the disk first, the disk had 7GB free and is heavilly fragmented.

Below is my computer's rating.

As you can see, what lets it down is the lack of gaming performance.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It look that I don't need to work on the computer ever time my mom mess it up. From what I can see it much easer to work with but longer loads time not cool my XP work just as well but I want to try it I get therw the mail soon I tell you soon how my works to once I get it.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Everything is working well, but it takes more than 2 minutes to reach the login stage.

After the login things work a little slow sometimes, but nothing special.

I also suspect that the problem is the disc I used. I kept Windows XP installed on drive D: and installed Windows Vista on another partition, F:, and the disc operations in that partition are a little slow in XP, too.

As an aside, the fact that I installed Vista on the F: drive is a little confusing, because Vista says it is on drive C:, but that drive is F: on XP, so all the drives (I have 2 discs, each with 2 partitions) get the names changed between XP and Vista.

From what I have read AVG does not work very well with Windows Vista, so I installed Avast, and it is working without any problems.

I installed one program that came with the motherboard, Asus Probe, that shows the temperature of the CPU, motherboard, fan speed, etc. It is working, but instead of remaining near the clock it also stays on the menu bar.

I then tried to install Office 2000, but as I only have right now the CD images (a friend of mine is supposed to give me the CDs back since Easter 2004
, but I have made a copy first) but I could not find any program that can create a virtual CD drive. I tried Alcohol, Daemon Tools and a tiny driver from Microsoft that is supposed to work with XP, but none of this worked.

I will install, or at least I will try it, SQL 2000 and Visual Basic 6, my everyday work tools.

Edit:
I forgot to add that I have to use 2 different network cards because in XP my onboard card is not working, but it works under Vista, and the other card, a cheap Realtek 8029, does not have Vista drivers.

[edit on 18/6/2006 by ArMaP]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
ArMap you mentioned earlier that the partition you installed vista on did'nt have so much free space after the install, or at least that is what I had gotten out of your previous post on this page. You think that might be slowing vista down as well?

I would think that having al least a few GB of headspace would make a difference.

[edit on 6/18/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
According to MS Website, Vista needs a minimum of 10gig to run freely, i had over 50 free, had a system score of 5 and it still ran like a dog. It gets a :down: from me so far, lets see what gets fixed in the service pack release for beta coming this month.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
After installation I was left with only 800MB free, but after I started some "cleaning" on that partition I now have 1.64GB free.

I put the page file on one of the other partitions.

Edit: you can see in the picture I posted with the system rating (if you can see the picture) that I had 779.95MB free.

[edit on 18/6/2006 by ArMaP]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join