It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia To Enter Nuclear Age

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Australias Prime Minister John Howard has put forward a bill that announces his plans to build nuclear power facilities on the east coast of Australia.

www.news.com.au
Mr Howard today named three members of a taskforce to investigate the viability of nuclear power in Australia.

He said the taskforce, headed by former Telstra boss and nuclear physicist, Ziggy Switkowski, contained experts in the field who were not biased towards nuclear power.

Mr Howard said he had an open mind on the three frames of reference on the inquiry – increasing uranium mining, uranium enrichment and nuclear power stations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In my opinion i am not sure about Australia harnessing nuclear power and in saying that i am saying that we have been doing reasonable well without it for years.
I know for a fact the the NSW premier told the media that he would have no part in the project and that there would be no nuclear power plants in NSW whatsoever.

Related News Links:
www.couriermail.news.com.au
www.abc.net.au
www.news.com.au
www.stuff.co.nz

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edit: Title.

[edit on 8-6-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85

In my opinion i am not sure about Australia harnessing nuclear power and in saying that i am saying that we have been doing reasonable well without it for years.
I know for a fact the the NSW premier told the media that he would have no part in the project and that there would be no nuclear power plants in NSW whatsoever.

Yes, I agree. I pretty much said my part in this thread which moved to pts (bye bye

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

The main push towards nuclear is purely money driven. Australia has the largest reserves of uranium in the world. Given the fact that a contract has been signed with China to sell uranium that, will raise yellowcake production 100% in the next 5-10 years to meet their demand. Stop and think about that for a second, the current amount we produce per year, that's how much china wants to buy. But maybe they won't buy it, because some bright spark floated the idea of LEASING the uranium.
More. . .

join