It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M$ Geniune BULLPUCKY (advantage)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
well, as all 95% or so of you M$ users know, when you download updates you have to download and use the "genuine advantage program".

M$ had told us (LIED) and said it was for OUR benefit-PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What it really does is make sure you have a "legal" copy of windows on your computer, before you get any updates.

But the worest thing is that it calls M$ on a daily basis- WTF IS IT TELLING THEM ABOUT YOU AND WHAT YOU HAVE ON YOU COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to the article where M$ owns up to this-REALLY!!!!!

www.theinquirer.net...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There must be hundreds of thousands of ripped off copies of Windows out there. What do you think Microsoft can do with this information, sue everybody who uses a dodgy copy? What does it matter what we the little people have on our machines? Again hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions must have some dodgy software on their machines. All you have to do is have a quick browse at torrent sites to see just a fraction of the illegal software availible for download. Aside from the obvious access to updates, what could they do with this information? Pave the way for the NWO by slinging everyone into prison?

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Implosion, it is the whole point of it.
They don't need to have our machines to "phone home" everyday-that is an invasion of our privacy.

Also, they NEVER told anyone that when you do download this "legal" softwear checker to get updates, it stays on your rig and calls M$ without notifing you or asking 4 permission.
We also don't fully know what it is telling M$-frankly what i have on my rig is my own busness-NOT M$'s

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Of course, the principle is totally sound and I agree 100% However I can't help wondering if by agreeing to the user agreement during installation [who reads them?] that we are actually consenting to this practise. I guess if it really is such a problem for you could always use an alternate OS, Linux or something, maybe use a Mac. All I am wondering is what they can do with the information they collect. It must be a seriously mind boggling ammount of data. Are they setting each and every person who uses dodgy software up for a fall?

top topics

join