It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And its name was wormwood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
ok a few facts out of the way first

im a christian for those of you that dont know and i was reading revelation despite the fact ive already read the bible a bunch of times, i guess i just felt like reading it tonight i guess. anyways, i was reading revelation Chapter 8:7-13 and came across something a bit intriguing.

in revelation 8:10-11 the following is written:

"The 3rd angel sounded his trumpet and a great star blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a 1/3 of the rivers and on springs of water. The name of the Star is WORMWOOD. a 1/3 of the waters turned bitter and many people died from the waters that had become bitter."

ok so what do you all think WormWood could be? or what do you think the name represents? seen anything in the news and whatnot that mentions wormwood?

at first i was thinking a comet/asteroid right..but there are other trumpets besides the 3rd one that seem to characterize a comet/astroid a bit more than this one.

just to get a few other things out of the way:

this thread isnt to debate whether or not the bible is real or not i just want to talk about the mentioning of WormWood in this passage. So for those of you that think the bible is a load of crap im totally fine with your view just please pass this thread by if you dont have any ideas about what im asking... only for the simple fact that i dont want this to be a thread debating stuff around in circles, it has nothing to do with whether or not i think your important enough or something.

if i find anything concerning wormwood ill post it on here as well.

Thanks for your courteous participation
Cherrio!

Digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Heres one interpretation i found of wormwood:

It is a bitter herb generally used to expel intestinal worms And parasites but it is also used as a bitters digestive stimulant; to reduce fever; as a wash to relieve skin itching And rashes. It also has abortive properties And should not be taken by pregnant women. It is also used in the treatment of malaria, but can be toxic in large quantities.

So, the general usage in Biblical terms is usually thought to refer to it's bitterness, the abortive properties And hallucinogenic And even toxicity also help to generate an impression of symptoms of radiation sickness. But the image of the Wormwood Star referred to in Revelations 8:11 serves as a symbol for the nuclear explosion itself. It was written as we all live under the threat of nuclear annhihilation, or Under The Wormwood Star.
it was found here:

Under the wormwood star

it makes sense but i would still like to find out more.
any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

thanks
digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Must agree.
Nukes are what came to my mind. They would most likely be falling out of the sky, and the radiation would make the water contaminated.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
yea. the only this that was throwing me off is that it said "his name is wormwood" and so thats why i was thinking that it would be an asteroid or something at first since we tend to name them. but then other trumpets seemed to suggest this more so than this one.

here is something interesting though. the trumpet right after this one does give a charaterization of a nuclear fallout. what do they call that? im drawing a blank. isnt it called like a nuclear storm or something..cant remember. anyways here is what the verse says:

REv 8:12

"The fourth angel sounded his trumpet and 1/3 of the sun was struck, 1/3 of the moon, and 1/3 of the stars, so that 1/3 of them turned dark. 1/3 of the day was without light and also 1/3 of the night."

so does this sound like the aftermath of a nuclear attack? this is the trumpet right after the one about wormwood.

Input is appreciated

Thanks,
digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You will find wormwood mentioned in Deuetronomy 29:18, Proverbs 5:4, Jeremiah 9:15
and 23:15, Lamentations 3:15, 19, and Amos 5:7.

All of the symbolic references in Revelation can be found in the OT, many are in Deuteronomy 28 - 32 and also the books of the Prophets, a lot are in Isaiah and Jeremiah.

Contrary to the popular belief these days, I have found that Revelation is not about world power end-times and nuclear war, et al...

It is about God's 'blessings and curses' and other type things--things administrated by Moses.

That doesn't mean it's about Jewish people only--in Revelation, after the NT, there is no more Israel in the way commonly thought of. Israel is a name that means 'who prevails with God.' And Israel, these days, is anyone who God calls on to serve Him with His message of the Gospel. The only work left as far as the gospel goes is spreading the word of reconciliation.

Which means: telling everyone the honest-to-goodness truth that Christ has indeed defeated death for all of us. When we die we can expect to see God. The judgment we face is one more like a self-review. From people who have died and come back to tell about it, the overwhelming consensus tells about being presented with some kind of 'screen' in which the events of their life are played out, the significant moments in which we are kind or cruel to others is the focus, and it is viewed from the perspective of those we treat accordingly. What I mean by that, is it is an opportunity to feel exactly how you made others feel. And then we learn from that.

God has forgiven us, but we must forgive ourselves when we get to the other side (if we haven't already).

Of all my bible studying, Revelation has been my favorite and most researched subject. I can answer just about any question there is (but not all, because I haven't figured it all out yet, but enough to know the theme is not at all what we are assuming.)

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I cant give an interpretation of the bible, but i can give you some info about woormwood herb.

Its a quite common stimulant. Can be smoked, eaten and drunk.

But it does really taste like crap. Im ceral here... Super cereal!! (For those who dont get it... watch south park)

Ive been drinking alot of wormwood tea, with 10-45 grams of wormwood, and ive never tasted anything worse. You can imagine it, really you cant! Its so disgusting.

But the effects can be pleasent. Everything from a mild high to a moderate psychedelic experience.

Search woormwood on www.erowid.org for more.

Oh and, queenannia38, your signature, the binary code, is the truth really 362697553000??

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jugg
I cant give an interpretation of the bible, but i can give you some info about woormwood herb.

Ive been drinking alot of wormwood tea, with 10-45 grams of wormwood, and ive never tasted anything worse. You can imagine it, really you cant! Its so disgusting.

It's also known as 'gall.' As in 'bitter as gall.' Although, if I'm not mistaken, gall can also refer to vinegar.

But the effects can be pleasent. Everything from a mild high to a moderate psychedelic experience.

Isn't it also what they make Absinthe from? If so, you'd best be careful drinking so much--they outlawed Absinthe because many people died from it.

Oh and, queenannia38, your signature, the binary code, is the truth really 362697553000??

I'm not sure what you mean? The binary equivalent of the word 'truth' is what I have, but I don't know how to get your number from that. Then again, I'm no mathematician nor a programming expert.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowEyes

Nukes are what came to my mind. They would most likely be falling out of the sky, and the radiation would make the water contaminated.

When one talks of nukes, the most noticeable thing isnt the radiation poisioning but the massive Fireball that lights the sky and the shockwave. Radiation poisioning is a by product that is not immediately noticable but rather deduced through observation.

Instead of a nuclear attack you would be closer to the mark if you considered a chemical weapon, say like VX. IF we continue in the same line of thought we could say that "Wormwood" is a type of biological/chemical agent or the center that produced these chemicals. For example there is a Wormwood hill in Tolland county, Connecticut!

Sorry I cant give the preacher's version.

[edit on 9-6-2006 by IAF101]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Queenannia38> Ahh so it is.

Yes they used to make Absinth with Wormwood, but its now outlawed in most countries.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hi digital Grl///

It is quite lengthy, but worth a read if your interested!
Found this on teh web pages ages ago...i might have even posted this in ATS somewhere?
Well here is a quote from what may be ..... it's name was "WORMWOOD"

8.10-11. And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; and the name of the star is called Wormwood; and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
Cf. 16.4: The third angel poured his bowl into the rivers and the fountains of waters, and they became blood.

"The star indicates either that all this comes upon men from the heavens, or it signifies the devil, of whom Isaiah says: How has Lucifer fallen from heaven, that rose in the morning! (14.12). For he, making men drunk through pleasures by his stormy and bitter corruption, is allowed by God to bring a tormenting tribulation, if not upon all, then at any rate upon the third part." (St. Andrew of Caesarea)

The word translated "wormwood" in English, ayinqoV in Greek, is "chernobyl" in Ukrainian; and on April 29th, 1986, a nuclear reactor exploded at Chernobyl in the Ukraine, causing widespread and long-lasting pollution and an ever-rising toll of deaths and misformed births.

This extraordinary "coincidence" leads one to speculate that the whole of this passage (8.7-11, perhaps also 12) refers to the whole of that epoch contemporaneous with our own, when environmental disasters of the Chernobyl type have brought disaster to that third of the world which is, or was, under communist domination.

The Book of the End!!!
HERE

Take care...
helen

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
wow helen,

i didnt realize the correlation with chernobyl. so basically this has quite possibly already happened? that makes sense though, since apocalyptic texts are often not chronological and usually refer to things over the whole span of time in and of itself and not just a specific era.

so if this has already happened..which of course we cant know for sure than the 2nd trumpet makes sense because it refers to a this:

"8The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed. "

so this is still yet to happen. and it would show that apocalyptic texts just as many scholars say, are very rarely chronological and written for effect to make people head its warning.

More input is welcome.
CHERRIO!
Digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
DigitalGrl///

that makes sense though, since apocalyptic texts are often not chronological and usually refer to things over the whole span of time in and of itself and not just a specific era.

True, Revelation is there for those that truly want to hear the message/humbly and not with own opinion.....
Many prophecies are written like that as well....they dont come out in the order they were written, but they do come out.....
Especially a few prophecies written in Greek i have,mostly have come out and it dont look too good...
Take care,
helen

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
'The spirit of prophesy is the testimony of Jesus Christ.'

How can things look 'not so good' when Christ has indeed overcome the world on the behalf of it's inhabitants?

If we look outside the bible for answers to its mysteries--looking to the world's evil ways of men who create weapons of war and destruction--how can we discover God's mystery? What we discover is heartbreak and despair--for we are looking to the things of corruption to solve the things of incorruptibility that we do not understand.

This is not why He came.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
'The spirit of prophesy is the testimony of Jesus Christ.'

How can things look 'not so good' when Christ has indeed overcome the world on the behalf of it's inhabitants?

If we look outside the bible for answers to its mysteries--looking to the world's evil ways of men who create weapons of war and destruction--how can we discover God's mystery? What we discover is heartbreak and despair--for we are looking to the things of corruption to solve the things of incorruptibility that we do not understand.

This is not why He came.

Good work queenannie38.

True it is......but i guess when people are in despair(and this is not good)they are looking forward to End Of times......
As you said......

How can things look 'not so good' when Christ has indeed overcome the world.

It is now up to us for what happens next.
take care,
helen

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
It is now up to us for what happens next.
take care,
helen

Helen, thanks so much for hearing me.

But I still want to ask you, how can it be 'up to us' when the bible makes no bones about it: God's will WILL be done?

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The word star can also be used of angels. While it could be a reference to nuclear war it could also have something to do with fallen angels coming to earth again.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
A star is something that comes from heaven and shines. No more or less. All sons of God must shine from God's own light, hence the reference to some stars being 'fallen' stars.

BUT not all stars are fallen. In this case, of course, wormwood does fall. But to limit stars to being fallen angels is wrong.

There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
(1 Corinthians 15:41 KJV)
The primary, brightest, star is another:

I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
(Numbers 24:17 KJV)

We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
(2 Peter 1:19 KJV)
Most stars shine at night, in the dark. But one illuminates the daytime, rising in the morning:

And I will give him the morning star.
(Revelation 2:28 KJV)

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
(Revelation 22:16 KJV)
Looking at the stars mentioned in the book of Revelation, two different stars fall to the ground: one named wormwood, and one who has the keys to the bottomless pit.

First, the star with the keys:

And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
(Revelation 9:1-4 KJV)
These locusts were given the power of suffering and poison, just as the scorpions on earth. Only God can give power of anything, because He does have power over all things. No other power comes from anywhere else.

It is erroneously believed, often, that this star with the keys is somehow linked to Satan or the beast, et al. But this is shown not to be true, a few verses after these:

And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
(Revelation 9:11 KJV)
The king of the locusts is Abaddon (destruction) and this is the angel of the bottomless pit, no doubt. And he is king over the locusts, not the source of their new-given power. And logic tells us that obviously Abaddon didn't have the keys to the pit that he, himself, was locked in, as well.

Who had the keys?

There are only two other mentions of keys at all, in the NT. One is in Matthew:

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
(Matthew 16:17-19 KJV)
These keys are not given to any man-made religious body, no matter how hard they try to make it seem so. The meaning of this passage has to do with revelation. God-given true revelation--the very same thing which allowed Peter to know that Jesus was the Christ, the son of the Living God. The main religious institution of their culture, in their times - the Pharisees, weren't quite sure who Jesus was. The had not been given revelation from the Father.

And remember, that the last book of the bible's full title is 'The Revelation of Jesus Christ.'

The second mention of keys in the NT is in Revelation, itself:

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
(Revelation 1:18 KJV)
So certainly it appears that Christ is the administrator of these 'keys,' by authority of God the Father.

But wait! The passage says that the Revelator 'saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth' and this was the one with the keys.

Is this a conflict? Not really. Remember Christ said, in the 4th gospel:

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
(John 3:13 KJV)
Christ had to 'fall' to earth before He could ascend back above. And why did He fall down here to where we are? To overcome the power of death and save the world! He came down with keys in His hand!

Back to 'wormwood.'

Reading in Deuteronomy, Moses speaks to the children of Israel:

Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe,
whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations;
lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;
And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst:
The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man,
and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven.
(Deuteronomy 29:18-20 KJV)
Notice these words/ideas are found in this one passage: wormwood, serving other gods, God's anger as 'smoke,' a book, and blotting out names.

Also, still in this chapter, the very last verse reads as such:

The secret things belong unto the LORD our God:
but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever,
that we may do all the words of this law.
(Deuteronomy 29:29 KJV)
Things which are revealed. Given for the purpose of obeying God.

Another mention of wormwood is in Proverbs:

For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil: But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
(Proverbs 5:3-5 KJV)
Reading the whole 5th chapter might make it clearer, but if not, I'll tell you that this 'strange woman' is basically symbolic of the same idea as the 'whore of babylon.' Representative of religions that worship gods other than the Living God.

Notice, also, that in Proverbs, we find the following words/ideas: bitter wormwood, sharp two edged sword, death, and hell. Just as we find them in the book of Revelation.

Another mention is in Jeremiah:

And the LORD saith,
Because they have forsaken my law which I set before them, and have not obeyed my voice, neither walked therein;
But have walked after the imagination of their own heart, and after Baalim, which their fathers taught them:
Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will feed them, even this people, with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink.
I will scatter them also among the heathen, whom neither they nor their fathers have known: and I will send a sword after them, till I have consumed them.
(Jeremiah 9:13-16 KJV)
This is totally consistent with the rest--the children of Israel followed Baalim, instead of God. This was taught to them by their 'fathers' and obviously these fathers didn't heed the warning given by Moses way back in Deuteronomy 29. And so, as God had said, He will give them wormwood and gall.

God's water is Living water, it gives life--just as the water did which poured from the rock Moses struck in the wilderness. In Revelation, it is written that the waters were made bitter by wormwood, because of the star falling into the rivers.

One more mention, in Amos (there are more, in Lamentations, but they are essentially the same as Jeremiah said the first time):

Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off righteousness in the earth,
(Amos 5:7 KJV)
Turning judgment into wormwood--into death. Many men died from the water made bitter by wormwood. Bitter water which turns judgment into death.

Now, think about this carefully. God is the issuer of judgment. In modern religions, especially in christianity, there is this idea that judgment is either going to result in death or life. But judgment doesn't mean condemnation. The judgment may be condemnation, but all judgment is not just a dogmatic choice between total condemnation and total pardon. In the original language of the bible, judgment means 'decision,' specifically the type of judgment which results from trial. A verdict, if you will. And anyone that has ever been inside a courtroom knows that the judge isn't always issuing a decree of capital punishment or complete pardon. God's judgment, taken to such an extreme, is a human idea, not God's. It very clearly says, in Amos, that God doesn't like for men to turn judgment into death. And yet, if you listen to all the so-called religious leaders of christianity, this is supposed to be the case.

So who is correct? God? Or these men? Don't forget, either, that we are told Jesus overcame the world, that He overcame death - capital punishment - for all of us.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Now, as far as the name of Russia’s nuclear reactor, Chernobyl, here are some true facts, with links and everything.

The herb ‘wormwood’ is botanically named Artemisia.

From botanical.com:

In some of the Western states of North America there are large tracts almost entirely destitute of other vegetation than certain kinds of Artemisia, which cover vast plains. The plants are of no use as forage: and the few wild animals that feed on them are said to have, when eaten, a bitter taste. The Artemisia also abound in the arid soil of the Tartarean steppes and in other similar situations.

Where are the ‘Tartarean’ steppes?

Found at the thefreedictionary.com:

Tartary (Tartaria or Tatary) is a old term that referred to that region of Asia east of the Ural mountains. Originally, and before Zheng He and Christopher Columbus, it meant every part of the world that excluded Europe and Africa to the Europeans.

The term was eventually replaced with Siberia by Russian territorial expansionists, and has now died out. Nevertheless, it still often remains visible on old maps.

At the worldfactbook.com - courtesy of your friend and mine, the CIA
I found this information:

most of Ukraine consists of fertile plains (steppes) and plateaus, mountains being found only in the west (the Carpathians), and in the Crimean Peninsula in the extreme south

For anyone not aware, Chernobyl is located in what is now the Ukraine, east of the Ural Mountains, since gaining independence from Russia in 1996. The accident happened in 1986, when it was Russia, but it was still east of the Ural Mountains regardless of government.

If you google the words ‘botany’ ‘artemisia’ and ‘ukraine’ all together, you will be rewarded with around 680 results.

If you like things more simple, here is just one piece of significant info, from www.ruf.rice.edu...”" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Sarmatian Review:

As it happens, the name of Chernobyl/Czarnobyl is taken from one of the Slavonic words for the wormwood plant (artemisia), which flourishes in the surrounding marshes.

So it is really unlikely that Chernobyl’s name is some sort of 'extraordinary coincidence': Artemisia flourishes (or did flourish) in the area around what is now a catastrophically failed nuclear reactor in the Ukraine (formerly Russia).

If you know anything about how the disaster happened, then you know that it was nothing more than human error—on the part of the supervisors, it seems—connected to the procedures set in place in the event of an overheated core.

It is not some dooming omen that involves Russia, the Russian people, or the Russian government – or Ukrainian! It was just a very destructive and tragic accident that happened, just like any other accident happens—due to a combination of unplanned events initiated by humans, starting a chain of events which led to a terrible disaster.

Accidents are preventable - each and every time. Everything else is an act of God.

Therefore the Chernobyl accident, being what it was, could have, in no way, been the fulfillment of any divine prophesies given in Revelation. God doesn’t bring about divine providence through human accidents.

There are nuclear reactors in the US and other countries. Remember, 3-Mile Island, in Pennsylvania, had some sort of incident, too. It could have happened anywhere humans are in charge of nuclear reactors.

[edit on 6/11/2006 by queenannie38]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I know the things I've said are far less thrilling and exciting, as far as the discussion goes, but if you really want to know what Revelation is saying, and you look in the bible yourself and prove for yourself whether or not what I say is sound and not from my own imagination, then when the truth starts to reveal itself to you, you will far more thrilled than you can imagine. I know I was. I still am.

Revelation is a book of life, the fitting conclusion for a book that is sometimes called
B asic
I nstructions
B efore
L eaving
E arth

written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit which is sent directly from
G ood
O rderly
D irection

and which has the possibility, for any reader who trusts and remains without opinion, for becoming something more than a book--it will come alive for you if you read with the goal of life in your heart, instead of fear, dread, guilt, regret, false superiority, or a need for personal justification of any sort.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
ok so what do you all think WormWood could be? or what do you think the name represents? seen anything in the news and whatnot that mentions wormwood?

Hmm despite my views on the bible this is quite interesting.
Where abouts did the event occur ?
Heres some ideas.

Perhaps something caused sea water to infiltrate the locals freash water supply. We now know that drinking sea water isnt good for you.
Perhaps a drought caused a shortage of freash water ?
Mayabe volcanic activity led to acid rain or the wood worm could have been a parasite that was in the drinking water or the food eaten.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join