It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is She Hiding Something?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Greetings all

I am just wondering if this painting has a hidden message in it??

It seems like she is somewhat smirking to a degree but the question is what is she smiling at??
This is not a portrait of a reall person but a painting from the wonderfull mind of Da Vinci.
COuld it be that this painting is saying something??
Wel all know that Da Vinci was involved in the feminen aspect however i feel there are things in this painting that speak louder then the painting itself.
What do u think about this??

Omega

[edit on 7/6/2006 by Omega85]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
What strikes me odd about this painting is the background. It does not seem at all to be what one should find as the background for a portrait.

[edit on 7-6-2006 by goose]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I could sound crazy but her eyes are not centered to the painter, they are to the right. We have learned when question people who have lied or are keeping a secret that there eyes either go to the right or the left, avoiding eye to eye contact, but then again I could be crazy.

[edit on 7-6-2006 by ProjectX1986]

[edit on 7-6-2006 by ProjectX1986]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
What strikes me odd about this painting is the background. It does not seem at all to be what one should find as the background for a portrait.

In what way do you mean?

Originally posted by ProjectX1986
I could sound crazy but her eyes are not centered to the painter, they are to the right. We have learned when question people who have lied or are keeping a secret that there eyes either go to the right or the left, avoiding eye to eye contact, but then again I could be crazy.

But also keep in mind that it's common practice in professional photpgraphs to not look at the camera. Maybe it was DaVinci being a forerunner of that technique.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Why doesn't she have eyebrows, or even eyelashes?
Why did Leonardo miss putting those things in, did he even finish it?

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Hmmmm, great replies people

In accordance to the post that she is not looking at to the front we must remember that this painting is not a picture it is a freehand piece of art.
allthough i do find it a good point that she is not looking forward, as if she is hiding something, her slight smile is odd too which leads to the question, what is she trying to hide???

Omega

[edit on 7/6/2006 by Omega85]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
"Why doesn't she have eyebrows, or even eyelashes?"

I just noticed that very good point.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectX1986
"Why doesn't she have eyebrows, or even eyelashes?"

I just noticed that very good point.

That is a good point indeed,
I was just wondering staring at this artwork,
Does it seem that one half of her face is chubbier then the other or is it just me??

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Her face does look a little chubbier on one side. I know the painting is old, but I wish we could super enhance it in a computer some how, and look for details in the background.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
that would indeed be a fascinating thing to so,
even the background halves look different to the other.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
He he:

Mona Lisa cocktail - two of them and you can't get the silly grin off your face.

Dunno how I remember that.

It is an odd painting. There is just so much hidden behind it; was Da Vinci painting himself in female form, or Lisa Gherardini, or the Duchess of Milan??

Computers and digital-image alignment and all those little theories . . . pah!! Computers and painting do not mix.

Perhaps this will be one of those all-time mysteries that never get solved?

An eternal enigma. We need more of em.

edit: I do not like BB-code

[edit on 8/6/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Apparently it was the custom (or I should say fashion) in Florence at the time to shave the eyebrows off. If so, the eyebrowless woman is not a big deal.

Here is an excellent link explaining what Leonardo attempted in his backgrounds and why he did them that way. Take a peel.

www.museumldv.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
ahh the mona lisa this has to one of my favorites although i dont fully understand why, she just draws you into her.

The smile to me looks put on as if its forced and the eyes look sad and also i dont think she (or leonardo ) got much sleep see the bags under the eyes. Just an observation., this portrait was rumoured to be of catherine leonardos bialogical mother but noone knows for sure.

one thing i noticed from his work is that all the faces seem the same, from the feminine john in the last supper and other works to the mona lisa, see the similarities? or is that just me lol.

truly a great piece, indeed why is she so sad looking, and was davinci trying to tell us something with his work? we will never know for sure but im sure we can look at his work in awe and wonder what things he was trying to tell us

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Great post, indeed i have read about it supposed to be his mother however, this doesnt explain the fact that one half is different to the other, i believe there is a hidden message here but the question is what??
such a beautifull piece of work and when you look at it your first reaction is WOW and not what is he trying to tell us.
Is this they way he wanted it to be do u think??
I dont know but i sure would like to find out.

Omega

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Some have speculated that it's really a portrait of Da Vinci in drag - hence the enigmatic smile.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
As the story goes, she is smiling because she knows the secret of Jesus

and MaryMagdalene. So the story has it.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
wasn`t her smile something to do with syphilis(or some other disease)..it rotted the teeth and she apparently had really bad teeth.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Why not just read Da Vinci's Code? Most discrepencies have been discussed there and on alot of websites. She is looking at the painter as she is sitted facing the right, hence her eyes are looking to left. Supposedly, the horizon on the left is lower than the right and so makes 1 side look bigger than the other. As to why she doesn't have eyebrows...blah everything can be found here en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
As the story goes, she is smiling because she knows the secret of Jesus

and MaryMagdalene. So the story has it.

Ha, yep, you're right! She is the same as the figure to Jesus' right in the Last Supper.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's it! Same woman, er, uh, nope, actually, Mona is a Man, she is the Apostle John!

er, well, maybe not, hey, maybe she's a transexual, yea, that's it, John was a cross dresser, bisexual, Mona and John are the same?

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Ahh, Mona Lisa.

Is she wearing some kind of netting on her head? You can see the edge of it on the top half of her forehead then it covers some of her hair to the left.

Does anybody know where this painting was after DaVinci painted it? Her eyes are quite piercing, almost as if she is staring at something. What I mean is, for example, if the painting was hung on a wall to the east of a building, she would be looking at something which was on or near the west wall, maybe looking at the "secret"?

Great thread, Omega.

[edit on 8-6-2006 by xeroxed88]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join