It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a letter from the VA today...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Lawsuit yes, I was thinking more so against the VA though.

You know how those class action suits go though.....everybody gets 3 cents in the end. I think it just way to convenent too.... yeah they will probably try to chip eveybody soon for our own protection. Somebody posted a source on page 1 that said Active Duty.... Well my husband hasn't been active duty since 87'.

What a bunch of crap IMO....liars.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Class Action Lawsuits, unfortunately, only do one thing... MAKE ATTORNEYS RICHER! Having numerous attorney friends over the years, I can ATTEST to that as that is what THEY have always told me. In fact, a very close friend of mine who started out in FAMILY LAW..... got tired of all the BS there.... changed over to PERSONAL INJURY and CLASS ACTION vehicles. He is driving around today in that Mercedes Benz (can't recall what it is called) that is their most expensive convertible. He wears $5,000.00 suits.... shoes that could put your kid through college..... and instead of a wife.... has numerous girlfriends that flock around him for his dough. HE himself told me of a story, which will go unnamed but you would recognize, that he STARTED a class action lawsuit with one person...... by the time he was through, he had several thousand folks signed on...... he made (his own words) 3.7 million dollars in fees and expenses..... the PLANTIFFS...... got approximately $1,500.00 each..... after 3 YEARS!

NO THANKS...... think I would rather spend my money and time gambling and banging beaver in Vegas
! (just kidding ladies
)

Dave

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Just recieved a mailing from the V. A. It explains that there had been a breach of security, and there is a possibilty of identity theft of U. S. Veterans.

From The Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Washinton D. C.

THE SECRETARY OF VETERANS AFFAIRS WASHINGTON

Dear Veteran:

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has recently learned that an employee took home electronic data from the VA, which he was not authorized to do and was in violation of established policies. The employee's home was burglarized and this data was stolen. The data contained identifying information including names, social security numbers, and dates of birth for up to 26.5 million veterans and some spouses, as well as some disability ratings. As a result of this incident, information identifiable with you was potentially exposed to others. It is important to note that the affected data did not include any of VA's electronic health records or any financial information.

Appropriate law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the VA Inspector General's office,have launched full-scale investigations into this matter. Authorities believe it is unlikely the perpetrators targeted the items because of any knowledge of the_data contents.

Out of an abundance of caution, however, VA is taking all possible steps to protect and inform our veterans. While you do not need to take any action unless you are aware of suspicious activity regarding your personal information, there are many steps you may take to protect against possible identity theft and we wanted you to be aware of these. Specific information is included in the enclosed question and answer sheet. For additional information, the VA has teamed up with the Federal Trade Commission and has a Web site (www.firstgov.gov) with information on this matter or you may call 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636). The call center will operate from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EDT), Monday-Saturday, as long as it is needed.

Beware of any phone calls, e-mails, and other communications from individuals claiming to be from VA or other official sources, asking for your personal information or verification of it. This is often referred to as information solicitation or "phishing." VA, other government agencies, and other legitimate organizations will not contact you to ask for or to confirm your personal information. If you receive such communications, they should be reported to VA at 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636).

We apologize for any inconvenience or concern this situation may cause, but we at VA believe it is important for you to be fully informed of any potential risk resulting from this incident. Again, we want to reassure you we have no evidence that your protected data has been misused. We will keep you apprised of any further developments. The men and women of the VA take our obligation to honor and serve America's veterans very seriously and we are committed to ensuring that this never happens again.

In accordance with current policy, the Internal Revenue Service has agreed to forward this letter because we do not have current addresses for all affected individuals. The IRS has not disclosed your address, or any other tax information to us.

R. James Nicholson
May 2006

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Mine came in the mail today as well. I couldn't help but be angry at the number of vets affected, 26.5 million. Too bad we aren't allowed to have the name and e-mail of the idiot who took our info home. Makes me wonder though if it was a cover up for something far more sinister, ya never know when it comes to the gov't.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This seems to be becomming a trend. It's now happened with Washington employees and a few other companies that were dealing with ING.

More Stolen Data

The computer was stolen Monday from the Washington home of an employee of ING U.S. Financial Services, said officials with the company, which administers the district's retirement plan.

The company did not notify city employees of the theft until late Friday because it took officials several days to determine what information was stored on the laptop, ING spokeswoman Caroline Campbell said.

Two other ING laptops containing information on 8,500 Florida hospital workers were stolen in December, but the employees were not notified until this week, said ING spokesman Chuck Eudy. Neither laptop was encrypted, he said.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The VA mess is only the TIP of the iceberg, I can assure you. IF we only KNEW just 1/2 the things like this that have ALREADY HAPPENED..... just hasn't been uncovered yet...... ATS would need another Universe to POST all the conspiracies.

Dave

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
It just boggles the mind that these things could happen. Why is anyone taking unencrypted data home to work on? Isn't this what secure networks are for? The whole concept of working this way is outdated. No data should be leaving "the shop". If people need to work on it at home they should be logging into their secure network at work, not bringing data home.

For heaven's sake, I worked for a company the size of a spit compared to these organizations and that's how it was done. How could there be no standards at organizations for protecting data access?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Lucky me, I got my letter today.

Also, about two weeks ago I sent a letter to the National Personnel Records Center requesting a copy of my 214, and what do you know they haven't recieved it yet, so I have to contact AFPC. If they don't have it, I flying to Okinawa and I'm punching some b****** in the throat. My records should have been sent to AFPC months ago.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
OT but seeing as there are so many vets in this post I thought I'd ask...

Has anyone else here had their medical records from their service go missing?

I tried to get mine a couple of yrs ago, only to be told they didn't have it, along with thousands of other vets.

Still did't get my letter yet...

[edit on 22/6/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Medical records..... no..... haven't asked. Honestly, except for the VA loan umpteen years ago which I used to purchase my first house, I have been lucky enough to have great private medical insurance. Since coming out of the Rabbit Hole, however, I have made more and more VET FRIENDS who have told me that they TOTALLY RELY on the VA for prescription drugs and medical attention. This really concerns me as the ones who have bravely served their country are getting the ass end of a bad deal. Not only are they given FALSE PROMISES by politicians on BOTH SIDES of the aisle.... but now that can't even TRUST that their private and medical information is secure from the BAD GUYS...... what a world, what a world.

Just my opinion.

Dave

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Yeah Dave the VA is really messed up IMO, I hate having to go there. I guess I shouldn't bitch seeing as it's free BUT...

I just got turned down for VA benefits for GW illness. I have most of the common symptoms, but my Doc didn't even put most of my complaints in my VA medical record.
My complaints, fatigue, joint and muscle pain are either ignored or blamed on other conditions. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis a few months ago, with no medical reason for having it (Calcium levels normal, vit D normal etc...). I have a fracture in my spine due to this...

The medical report noted there was a "high incidence" of osteoporosis in Gulf War veterans.

www.military.com...

I can't prove I was given the vaccines because my medical record is missing, how convenient eh?

Like most GW vets my condition started with depression, anxiety, anger bursts. The VA was very quick to label me bi-polar and put me on meds that made me worse!
They refuse to even research any other diagnosis. My fatigue is blamed on the mental health issues, yet symptoms of fatigue include depression and anxiety. I guess once you're labeled a mental health patient anything you say is not taken seriously? I'm not bi-polar, I don't have manic episodes. I'm just tired all the time and it's getting worse...

Anyway scuse the OT rant but it's just frustrating...

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I can't prove I was given the vaccines because my medical record is missing, how convenient eh?

Anok....

I feel for you brother. I have heard umpteen stories of the same kind of BS..... LOST RECORDS...... kinda makes you wonder huh?

Regarding Osteo...... wife has that. She is 56 but has the bones of a 78 year old. She is taking that crap that is suppose to make her bones stronger and has to have bone density tests several times a year.

Dave

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yeah me too, suposed to take fosamax once a week and calcium 3 times a day. I can't get into the habit of taking them.

I'm only 42 and male. I'm not supposed to have osteo at my age.
By the time I'm 60 I'll have no bones left...LOL Shouldn't laugh but you know the alternative

5 yrs ago I was a bike messenger, 60 miles a day average, mostly sprinting. Now I have trouble walking...I didn't join the military to be a guinea pig for experimental vaccines.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yeah me too, suposed to take fosamax once a week and calcium 3 times a day. I can't get into the habit of taking them.

Yes... that is exactly what she is taking. Our Doctor has also told her to WALK a lot which helps build up her bone mass. Unfortunately, she is not real rigid on that one.

Dave

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Anok... Brother! You and I are near mirror images of each other in our situation. I am a bit younger, but my med records are missing for the last 3 of my 5 years in the Navy.

For my muscle and joint problems my Neurologist and Rheumatologist first said Fibromyalgia (amongst other things) but have now changed it to Myasthenia Gravis. It is a temporary diagnosis but my Neuro has started me on a med program for it. So far, so good.

U2U me if you want to collaborate or commiserate.

JDub

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
First One.... then Two...... you guys are just the TIP of the SCANDAL! And that is what it is. Sure is funny...... the government can go back for years on financial stuff....... but let it come to a vet's records and something important to do with his health....... I rest my case.

Just my opinion.

Dave

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Just a little note on this osteo discussion. I am seeing red flags here.

The bone loss being described does not sound like ordinary osteoporosis to me. There is no excuse for it in active healthy men and the progression sounds severe. As for Dave's wife, I have never heard of a case that required such frequent bone scans.

Progression like this needs more than osteo treatment, you need to find out why. If you are losing inches in height that is measureable in a years time time further testing needs to be done. I know of a woman who shrunk 3 inches before they discovered her parathyroid was malfunctioning and literally melting her bones. It required intervention well beyond Fosomax (which I personally wouldn't touch) and calcium supplementation. I think especially in the cases of men your ages if there is no family history of this type of osteo, you ought to get agressive about the why. Vets have been exposed to A LOT and anything could be going on at this point.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hey Relentless.

I have lost an inch in hight in the last year!

Why wouldn't you touch Fosamax?

My docs don't seem to be doing too much. I have a fracture in my spine and just read that normal treatment is pain killers and bed rest for a couple of weeks.
I was not given pain meds or told to rest. Could I be making it worse by not resting my back?

Sry I'm turning this into the medical advice thread...LOL

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Anok, in a case like yours I supposse I would try it, but I have seen and heard too much about the side affects and view it as another one of those drugs being pushed for conditions that are usually natural, with only some people gettting severe cases. I think it's another one of those drugs being pushed on everyone for the big bucks it brings to the drug companies. I have also known of people in the medical profession (Nurses & P.A.'s) that tell their family members to stay away from it.)

Your case, age and former level of activity do not warrant a rapid progression of osteo like you describe. If you tolerate the drugs without the gastro-intestinal or other side affects you should probably take it till you find out what is causing your bone loss - and yes you better rest while you heal. But do research the drug so you can spot trouble if it occurs.

Meanwhile, I hope you have had your thyroid, para-thyroid, and a lot of other things tested that could be causing abnormal bone loss. BTW, calcium needs other things for absorbtion, especially magnesium. Otherwise, you are wasting your time taking it. They are making Calcium/Magnesium supplements - usually a 3:1 is recommended & mine has D in it too.

Normal bone loss occurs with the greatest loss during the first 5 years post menopause, then the progression slows, but it is always there over time. Anything outside of this normal aging process needs to be addressed by more than a drug. Unfortunately now that they have the drug, they just hand it out like candy and aren't aggressive enough questioning it. I am not in the medical profession of course, so these are my opinions/experiences.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
You're right on the money there relentless, I totally agree.

Well there is a theory going around that the Anthrax vaccine is causing an auto immune condition. That is why vets are getting conditions, osteo, lou gericks, etc..with no medical reason. Our immune system is attacking our bodies.
But I mentioned this to my doc and got a look like I was crazy...LOL

home.gci.net...
www.immunesupport.com...

I plan on getting copies of my VA med records to see exactly what they are saying and to check what tests I have had done.
I have been through a two day research program for GWI twice, a year apart.
2 MRI's, physicals, psychological tests etc...They told me I had symptoms of GWI, that's why they called me back a second time. But it can't be used for diagnosis cause it's research.
Now if they can come to that conclusion why can't the VA?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join