It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buddhist resources?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
My eldest daughter (13) has been showing some interest in Buddhism. Having been raised in a Catholic home, I don't think I can point her in the best direction for learning about Buddhism. Is there a particular book/set of books that teach the true tenets of Buddhism? From what I have seen it looks pretty scattered, but thats from an outsiders POV.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ummm, now there's a tall order. General books would probably be best until she finds what branch or sect really catches her interest.

www.buddhanet.net... is a decent a site as any.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I highly reccommend "Buddhism Plain & Simple" by Steve Hagen.

After you read that, read "Screwtape letters" If you want a story. Its written by a Jesuit Preist, but the parallels between christianity and buddhism are really apparent if you know the basics. (The screwtape letters is letters wirtten by a deamon screwtape, to his nephew who is trying to win over his first soul.)

Then get another Hagen book, I lent mine out so I forgot its title.. but im sure they're all good. Or some Thich Nhat Hanh books, like "Living Buddha, Living Christ."

Alan Watts books are really good, but they're more about Vendanta which is Hindu, but If you want to, I highly highly recommend "The Book", by Watts.

Im Roman Catholic and these are just some of the books I've read. Buddhism is a Way of living, not a religion; so your daughter (and you) can remain Catholic with no problems or conflicts.

join