It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The society of Angry "sheep"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Explosive outbursts of uncontrollable rage may affect more people than previously thought, a new study suggests.

More than 7% of people in the US have experienced "intermittent explosive disorder" (IED) at some point in their lives, says Ronald Kessler of the Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, US, who led the study.

This means they will respond to certain situations with inappropriate levels of anger, for example resulting in road rage or irrational, violent acts such as throwing a television out of a window during an argument with a spouse or parent.

“They often say that their anger goes from zero to 100. There is no in between,” explains Michael S. McCloskey of the University of Chicago, US, who treats people with IED

www.newscientist.com...

I find it amazing that "anger" is a mental disorder. Soon anyone who speaks out with "tone" will be drugged or hospitalized. Anger is a good thing, it keeps people FREE. Anyone see the movie "Equilibrium"? How about "demolition man"?

Drug the masses tell them "anger" is bad, so you can control them and steal there money at gun point with the IRS...................

[edit on 7-6-2006 by thermopolis]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Don't forget that we are cultivating our sheep early...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Excellent point the Loam

Anger is just as healthy as laughter. Emotions including "outrage" is good.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I disagree.ye

I think 'anger' is a primitive emotion and is partly responsible for a lot of hate in the world. Too many people are quick at yell at each other instead of showing compassion and respect.

This particular kind of anger I can understand being classified as a disorder because it is one. Just because so many people get that kind of road-rage doesn't make it normal. I think it's a symptom of our selfishness.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i think anger is a good emotion to have. i know from experience that being to soft in this world is not a good thing, i would have been better if i was able to stand up for myself abit more.

you can take it from me, being a wet fish, is not a good thing. with regard to those kids being filled with those drugs, all society is just going to end up with zombies, lacking the right emotions at the right time.

i agree too much anger might be bad but like my life not feeling anger can make you a useless vegatable, with regard to lifes situations.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I used to see IED come to the fore from time to time.
Especially at grammar school, but also Junior and Senior high school.

Strangely enough, when the practitioners of IED blew up around the right guy they'd get the stuffing knocked out of them.

It was a good cure, seldom did IED surface after that.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
i think anger is a good emotion to have. i know from experience that being to soft in this world is not a good thing, i would have been better if i was able to stand up for myself abit more.

Surviving this world and "standing up for yourself" has nothing to do with anger. You don't need to get mad to defend yourself. That's what martial arts is all about. Anger makes you lose focus and you're not as able to deal with the situation as well, IMO.

Like I said, I think anger is a relatively primitive emotion and it's only an outward sign of inward loss of control.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by firebat

Surviving this world and "standing up for yourself" has nothing to do with anger. You don't need to get mad to defend yourself. That's what martial arts is all about. Anger makes you lose focus and you're not as able to deal with the situation as well, IMO.

Like I said, I think anger is a relatively primitive emotion and it's only an outward sign of inward loss of control.

i think anger has a strong link to how people stand up for themselves. you are just talking about the extremes of anger, but i am talking about, people needing it just to survive. my life shows that is a fact, being a wet fish does not do anyone any good.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Anger might be the initial trigger within one's mind... "hey, stop picking on me, I don't like it." It might be the emotional response to unwanted stimulation etc.

But after that, it's a matter of letting that anger continue to perpetuate, over that issue, until IT forces YOU to react in a violent or at least hostile way.... OR, it's a matter of overpowering that anger and realizing that an emotional, knee-jerk response is not the most effective way of dealing with a situation.

Anger is clubbing someone over the head after they just cut you off in traffic. "Standing up for yourself" has more to do with self-defense and the fight-or-flight mechanism, which, to a certain degree, are separate.

Anger is a purely emotional reaction without the mental control that most adults learn to exhibit, with the exception of certain extreme situations. It is emotional immaturity and even though almost all of us have issues with losing our cool, it should be the goal of everyone to learn how to control their emotions as opposed to being controlled by them.

[edit on 7-6-2006 by firebat]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Anger might be the initial trigger within one's mind... "hey, stop picking on me, I don't like it." It might be the emotional response to unwanted stimulation etc.

But after that, it's a matter of letting that anger continue to perpetuate, over that issue, until IT forces YOU to react in a violent or at least hostile way.... OR, it's a matter of overpowering that anger and realizing that an emotional, knee-jerk response is not the most effective way of dealing with a situation.

Anger is clubbing someone over the head after they just cut you off in traffic. "Standing up for yourself" is realizing that the better choice would be to just keep driving and avoid a potentially dangerous situation by following the driver and forcing him to pull over.

Anger is a purely emotional reaction without the mental control that most adults learn to exhibit, with the exception of certain extreme situations. It is emotional immaturity and even though almost all of us have issues with losing our cool, it should be the goal of everyone to learn how to control their emotions as opposed to being controlled by them.

i do not agree with your definition of anger. people need anger(but not in high amounts), in every day situations. anger is not only someone hitting someone, anger can be shouting back at someone, or just answering back someone. you just sensationalise the word anger and we all assume that it means your definition.

those drugs giving to kids will make them into zombies, maybe not capable of even operating in society. do not make people into people that cannot even deal with bad situations, or confrontations, that most people need to deal with in life. like how people react to bullying at school or work, people do need an anger emotion, to deal with those situations, i am not saying violence, but i am just saying standing up for oneself.

i am just saying there should be a middle ground, remember those kids are getting those tablets, because it may be they are just quiet, that does not mean they are angry people.

[edit on 7-6-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

i do not agree with your definition of anger. people need anger(but not in high amounts), in every day situations. anger is not only someone hitting someone, anger can be shouting back at someone, or just answering back someone. you just sensationalise the word anger and we all assume that it means your definition.

I think you're slightly misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that hitting someone or yelling at someone, per se, is wrong. It may be the only thing to do.

But strictly speaking, anger is not hitting or yelling at someone. It is the mental condition that influences someone to act in a way that would cause them to hit some one, for example, just for the sake of satisfying that feeling that they've been wronged. It's not the the solution to a given problem, it's only the outward expression of an uncontrolled emotion. It accomplishes nothing.

Now... in certain situations, hitting someone or "answering back to someone" as you put it might be the logically thought-out solution to a given problem. It might be the only way to solve that problem. But this is different than anger because it's not a thoughtless, uncontrolled reaction... it's the solution to the problem that is arrived at by logical analysis of the situation at hand.

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” --Gautama Siddharta

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I think you're slightly misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that hitting someone or yelling at someone, per se, is wrong. It may be the only thing to do.

But strictly speaking, anger is not hitting or yelling at someone. It is the mental condition that influences someone to act in a way that would cause them to hit some one, for example, just for the sake of satisfying that feeling that they've been wronged. It's not the the solution to a given problem, it's only the outward expression of an uncontrolled emotion. It accomplishes nothing.

Now... in certain situations, hitting someone or "answering back to someone" as you put it might be the logically thought-out solution to a given problem. It might be the only way to solve that problem. But this is different than anger because it's not a thoughtless, uncontrolled reaction... it's the solution to the problem that is arrived at by logical analysis of the situation at hand.

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” --Gautama Siddharta

i understand where youre going, it seems we are both at the other ends of what anger actually means. but i am positive that anger plays a big parts in everyones life and if you do not have that emotion, youre virtually a vegatable. probably we are both right and there are different forms of anger, but i think you agree that we all need to feel anger. anger is the first response to how we feel when someone does something bad to us or places us in a bad situation or something, we all must feel it.

i am saying that like that page on where they give kids drugs when they are young may be making those kids into virtual zombies incapable of dealing with even the easiest of anger situations because a certain part of there brain is suppressed. not a good idea, for there futures.

Tea

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Too many people packed together like sardines. Everyone likes their space. This is just a symptom of a larger problem. OVERPOPULATION.

[edit on 6/7/06 by Tea]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
What did you expect of course anger is a mental disorder, how eles are they going to sell you medication for it
The legal drug pushers (pharmaceutical companies) are going to keep comming up with symptoms until most of the world is their customers.

ADD
Anger theres a pill they can sell you for everthing. Forget self control, eating right and anything eles natural that they cant make money off of.

new topics

top topics

join