posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 06:32 AM
WASHINGTON, 26 October ó The Bush administration is closely monitoring a private lawsuit filed by Sept. 11 victims accusing Saudi individuals and
firms of having links with Al-Qaeda, and may move to dismiss or delay the suit, according to administration officials. Government lawyers, the
officials said, are trying to determine whether the case threatens to damage Saudi-American relations, which would give them reason to block the suit.
The suit seeks $1 trillion in damages and is being pursued here by nearly 3,000 of the relatives of the victims. A State Department official, speaking
on condition of anonymity, said he knew of no plans by the United States to take action in court, but he said the issue of the lawsuit had been raised
in recent meetings of top American and Saudi officials, Asharq Al-Awsat reported quoting The New York Times. "The Saudis have made their concerns
known at a senior level," the official said.