It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity in 1st graders linked to parenting skills

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
To those that think kids need to be taken away, that's rubbish. Unless of course the parents are fattening their kid up for a feast.

My parents eat horribly, I eat better now (mostly whole foods and organic foods), and even I can't change their mind or tell them that 80% of everything processed is crap. It's not the fault of the parent, it's the fault of the companies putting this crap out, and the schools not educating kids what to eat.

In health class, I was never told about food, or the food pyramid, or calorie/carb/fiber/suger intake...parents don't know this stuff either (unless they're doctors).

Did you know the average american eatsmore than TWICE the recomended protein? That used to be me.

With the traditional Western diet, the average American consumes about double the protein her or his body needs. Additionally, the main sources of protein consumed tend to be animal products which are also high in fat and saturated fat. Most individuals are surprised to learn that protein needs are actually much less than what they have been consuming. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein for the average, sedentary adult is only 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight.

www.pcrm.org...

and it is the US govt' fault!

In the past, many people believed one could never get too much protein. In the early 1900's, Americans were told to eat well over 100 grams of protein a day. And as recently as the 1950's, health-conscious people were encouraged to boost their protein intake. The reality is that the average American takes in twice the amount of protein he or she needs. Excess protein has been linked with osteoporosis, kidney disease, calcium stones in the urinary tract, and some cancers. Despite all this, many people still worry that they are not getting enough protein.

www.justeatveggies.com...

The problem is education, not unknowing parents. Without proper education, how are parents even supposed to know?!

[edit on 6/8/2006 by Arcane Demesne]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
My parents knew the difference between junk and healthy food. It is common sense and they weren't Doctors.

But then again I am Canadian and up here we are better educated due to our first rate education system as opposed to the Americans who are falling far behind in everything.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor
My parents knew the difference between junk and healthy food. It is common sense and they weren't Doctors.

But then again I am Canadian and up here we are better educated due to our first rate education system as opposed to the Americans who are falling far behind in everything.

That's probably it. American system sucks, what's worse, I live in Florida...rated the the lowest, or second lowest state in all of the US.

One thing is for sure, my kids will NEVER grow up here.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I've been to the local elementary school with a friend to pick up her grade one son, and I see the kids at the bus stop across the street after the middle school lets out. I see all the children in my extended family, as well as all the children in my husbands family.

Where are the fat kids ?

These children all look to be a normal weight, and they appear healthy. I know the children in my family are active in sports and eat healthy meals, and the same goes for their friends. It may be that I live in Canada, but I just don't see a lot of fat kids.........

Is the United States breeding a generation of overweight children ?
Do they need to shut off the electronics and tell them to go out and play for a while ?

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I will say that I do believe part of it is the lack of parental supervision when I was growing up we had our share of mac and chees and fishsticks but we also had a lot of brussel sprouts (good lord) and spinach (which I now like) but I don't think precocious puberty has been touched on yet.

If it has I apologize for repeating information, I've spent the last while looking for a thread that was on here that talked about this but couldn't find it, here are some links:

kidshealth.org...

www.emedicine.com...

www.nexusmagazine.com...

Some say that it's unknown what causes it, others say it's all the genetically modified and hormone enriched foods. But it is becoming more and more common where once it was just relegated to weekly world news.

I'm going with the conspiracy nuts on this one.

Not saying this is why all first graders are fat but it could very well be a contributing factor.

Spiderj

[edit on 6/8/2006 by Spiderj]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I think it is the junk food. Parents buy tons of chips, cakes, cookies and cokes. Kids snack on these while watching the TV. I did not grow up with bags of chips or cookies in the house and we don't have them here. Even before we had kids, we didn't keep junk in the house.

I don't feed my kids perfectly, they get an occasional happy meal. We eat out fairly often. But, they drink milk or water. I drink water or unsweet tea. My kids are allowed to snack on carrots, celery with peanut butter, grapes, apples, applesauce, yougurt and bannanas to their hearts content. My son's favorite snack is salad.

I find the above amazing as I really do not like vegetables and my kids love them. Go figure that one. I am not complaining though

It is what you get kids used to growing up as to what they eat. Believe me, my kids would live on happy meals, chips, cokes and cakes if it was an option I gave them(hey! I would too!)

They are rising 1st graders and each are about 39lbs. Granted, my husband was 6'2" and 150 when we married and I was 104lbs. So, genetically they should be kinda scrawny. Neither of us is big boned

Kids shoul not be taken away from their parents due to eating habits. Though, what "Honey you are killing the kids" and it sure makes you wonder!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I also agree that kids should not be taken away. However parent's who do not see waht is going wrong should be shown what could happen if their ways are not changed. At least then they can make an "educated" decision on thie child's welfare.

In my own personal life, we go out to eat 1-2 times a week (mainly cause tuesdays are free for my daughter) but even then, she gets no cookies, candy or anything else until she finishes her dinner. She drinks alot of ovaltine and health shakes so i don't fear her undereating as much. And when it comes to sweets, unless i give it to her she will tell the person giving it to her "Thanks, but i can't eat it till after lunch/dinner". She is not even 4 yet and already has some healthy eating habits. of course i am that parent that tells them what will happen if they over eat or if they are lazy (atrophy, obesity, low self-esteem.. yada yada yada). She needs to learn the truth sometime about it... and what better way than unbiased facts from someone she trusts.

In regards to going out to eat, she usually gets juice, hi-c, or milk/choc milk. We keep her sodas to a minimum due to caffeine (which is an appetite suppresant) and cabonation. However we do let her indulge occasionally as going to either extreme is unhealthy (always wanting but never having and always having but never wanting...there must be balance).

Another thing to note on the lazyness is the fact that most containers have multiple servings. Most parents just give the whole container to their kids. Hence over eating.

A few other things i do, i get my daughter excited about walking aorund the apartment complex to throw the trash and we go for nightly walks. All this so she can get some fresh air. She also for soem reason runs around in circles alot... which is fine by me as she is getting some exrecise.

Enjoy,

top topics

<< 1   >>

join