It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate treasure long missing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
There was a story that was passed down from one generation to the next about a confederate warship making its way down the Arkansas River filled with millions in gold and silver bars. It began its trip in Colorado heading down the Arkansas River, then would cut into the Mississippi River. Destination was said to be Vicksburg, MS. One of the stops for the ship was to be at the capital of Arkansas (Little Rock). But before the warship was able to pass through Little Rock on September of 1863, the small capital was taken by the Union army. Upon hearing of this, the confederates could not let this ship fall into enemy hands. So the story goes that the Confederates sunk the ship somewhere between Natural Steps and Monnie Springs, Arkansas. The Confederates that left the ship made their way into the small town of Natural Steps and then to Roland, that is when word began to spread. Three of these Confederate soldiers that were injured during the sinking are now buried in the Natural Steps Cemetary in unmarked graves. The rest of the crew headed south with their story, what happened to them and their story on the way, no one knows. But some believe these men sunk this ship at the bottom of the Natural Steps (town was named for rocks that naturally formed steps that led from a ridge down into the river, and still exist today) as a marker for where the ship could be found later. Others say its buried beneath a soybean field somewhere in the area. Over time as the river change course, it was covered by sandy loam and other deposits, now is farmed. The river has since grown wider and deeper due to daming. But it was a story told over 150 years from one family to the next, if its true, I do not know. Only the river and dead confederates really know.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
This is a very intersting story, id like to see some information turned up, do you know of any links to this tale?

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I looked all over the internet for information on it. I could find nothing. It is just a tale that has passed down for many generations. I would have just thought it was a story for parents to tell kids as a joke, but the story has been told for 150 or more years in the area. If its true, i can't say. There are the 3 confederate soldiers in unmarked gravees, the Natural Steps do exist, but the story may just be a tale. I don't know. just thought it was a good story to pass on. See if anyone will have any luck with it.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I have done some research and the Confederate gunboat "Ponchatrain" might have been this boat. There is some controversy on where it was sunk, but it is on the Arkansas River, near or at Little Rock. I will continue to do some research.

top topics

join