It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people give up on TV, realise its crap..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
NO kidding, took long enough...

www.nytimes.com...

Men between 18 and 24 are apparently deserting television in droves. So far this year nearly 20 percent fewer men in that advertiser-friendly demographic are watching television during prime time than during the same period last year.

"Frankly what we're seeing strains credulity," said Alan Wurtzel, the president of research for NBC.

"You can't explain a 12 percent decline in men 18 to 34 or close to 20 percent in men 18 to 24 by saying they're playing a lot more video games," said David F. Poltrack, the executive vice president for research at CBS.

One possible factor is more basic, Mr. Sternberg said � the quality of the new shows. "I've always noticed that we never hear anybody talking about the programming." He noted that the networks, which still tend to drive the overall viewing figures, have suffered though a grim start to their new prime-time season.
"What has anybody put on that's going to appeal to young men?" Mr. Sternberg asked.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
To be honest i like a small selection of shows which i download and watch (smallville download is tonight
) and i dont have to sit through all the commercials and crap.

If i recall theres only 43 minutes of actual tv in the 1hour slut, 17 minutes of commercials....shocking

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
please.....43 minutes??!! that's being pretty generous dont ya think?

I usually only watch the 24 hour news channel, and of course the Simpsons. I did watch the Discovery/History/Learning channel a lot while I lived in the states, simply because they're somewhat educational. the rest of it is all trash and garbage to keep people blinded from the facts...or to help them NOT face reality.

Edit.,...when I first saw that title, I thought I would see shortly after the title "and hell has frozen over"

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   
yeah i play a lot of video games instead of watching tv

but i never use the tv unless it's a dvd or a game console

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Its funny this article should come to light, as I was thinking recently how little television I have been watching these days. Perhaps its the introduction of broadband Internet access into my home over the past year and more time working/sleeping than relaxing, but coincidental nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I do not have cable by choice, I cannot and have tried (believe me) to get into watching the sitcoms but they bore me stiff! I do however or *did* enjoy The X-Files and some of the other para/sci-fi shows that were out..like "Dr. Who"

Plus who needs TV when we have the internet?

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I watch sports mostly....news, old sitcoms and discovery channel.
The new stuff they have been putting on t.v. is crap. Reality tv....please
. Could be why guys are not watching a lot.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I gave up on TV several years ago, when I got my modem. Every once in a while I'll catch a re-run of something on cable, but that's about it.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   
lol...I hardly ever watch tv anymore, beacuse I spend all of my time on the computer.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Funny you should mention Smallville. Your avatar reminds of me of Clark.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think TV is rapidly failing to statisfy updated requirements of interactivity. Everything outside of TV is much more interactive: Cooking food gives you food in your belly, surfing the net gives IM, message boards, and so forth. I would hope TV is falling to wayside.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   

"What has anybody put on that's going to appeal to young men?" Mr. Sternberg asked.

Spike TV of course, a cartoon version of Pamela Anderson as a crime-fighting stripper, you've got Frasier as a lawyer who happens to be a rat...what's not to like!

Actually, I'm just as likely to be caught watching Survivor as a documentary on the Pharoahs of Egypt, so I guess I'm a pretty odd example.

I actually watch little tv (though Smallville, and Survivor are about the only things I try not to miss, and Nip/Tuck isn't half bad...) Usually when I come home, tv is just for background noise...

I find I actually read more, surf the web, or just plain relax and play with my dog, more than I watch tv...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Anybody watch Playmaker's on ESPN? It's a new show this season and I tried to watch it whenever I could. Alot of NFL players dismiss the show as a bunch of drama and fake scenarios, yet our starting quarterback here at Penn State is always quick to tell everyone how close it comes to reality.. Better not, a lot of wife beating, heroine smoking and gay bashing goes on in this show, but it is entertaining. I would have thought it would directly appeal to this age group, huh...

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by insite]

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Speaking of Spike TV. I saw the 2nd to last episode of Joe Schmoe.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well that would include me. the only time I watch the T.V is for certain Comedies, News and documentaries in that order. The rest is a load of pie that usually only serves to make me angry, Especially adverts.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I dont watch as much tv as I used to simply for the fact that I have a DVR and can watch specific shows when I want to. Takes much of the guesswork out of whats on tv thats good (and believe me its not that much!)

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I watched Tv today for the frist time in 4 weeks, and got so annoyed that I ran here.
Im sick of hearing how britney is Doing this and that, jennifer is not married yet, this is news?
please, with headlines like......"THE WORLD IS SHOCKED, J-LO DUMPS BEN"......they seem to forget whats really going on in the rest of the world that should be more important.
Deep

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hehehe... I know the answers... First off most of the new shows and especially the ones in that time slot SUCK. That would help explain the problem. I do like Joe Shmoe and Charmed though... 2 pretty cool shows, but a lot of the crap that they try to pass off as T.V. should be used as methods of tourment. Another reason might be that the men of that age group have to work overtime to have the damn tv to begin with.

Nah it is just that most new stuff sucks... If there was a new show about monkeys taking a dump and it became a hit, then you could guarantee that you would see birds crapping on one channel, dogs on another, cats on another, so on so forth.

Make tv worth watching and they will come.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
After reading all the answers here i can conclude that TV is certianly in a terminal decline because of changes in technology, and it will just get worse over time. Don't invest in TV stocks guys...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
No #...

At work I get... "Hey man, did you see insert sitcom here" lastnight?

No, I'm sorry... I don't watch TV.

You dont watch TV? Whatever man...

I will watch some hockey and some history or discovery... but can't say Ive watched a sitcom in over 10 years.

BLAH ON TV(@&#&

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join