It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA offers Iran nuclear tech - The line has been drawn

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai
Skippy, and a few others here feel that there is nothing wrong with threatening Iran if they do not accept a deal where they trade the right to enrich nuclear fuel in exchange for a box of glowing yo-yos?

And you think this is a good deal, and fair offer?

Malichai, I think from what little we can gather about the offer as it stands, the exact contents of which are not disclosed, it most probably is fair, considering the circumstances, and considering that now the major powers have come together (a major feat in itself) in agreement on the offer. It appears to be more than just glowing yo-yo's, lol.

From what I have been able to gather, the proposal includes:

- a place to store nuclear fuel
- proposes a regional security forum
- a light-water nuclear power reactor, with technology supplied mostly by Russia and other European countries
- stops US sanctioning of foreign firms doing business with Iran
- allows Iran to purchase commercial planes, parts, and some US agricultural technology
- includes a new US pledge to participate in European/Iranian talks if Iran stops enrichment

Little is known about the penalty portions of the offer. But basically, it presents a very strong, united front to Iran and offers it the choice of integration with the world community- including the nuclear energy it desires- or isolation. I really hope they do not choose the latter, for their own sakes.

Note that it took many years for Japan to attain the international trust needed for widespread approval and consent to nuclear energy programs. Iran on the other hand is probably distrusted internationally much more.

<< 1   >>

join