It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China: World's Leading Rainmaker- Weather Modification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Weather modification is big business and quite common throughout China. Its government has a Weather Modification Office that strategically plans out how often or how seldom it should rain. Though it is quite common to increase rainfall in areas such as Beiiing, as well as areas of agriculture, big plans are in place to prevent the rain at the upcoming 2008 Olympic games.

www.cnn.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using an arsenal of rockets, artillery and aircraft, China will try to blast the clouds out of the sky, a meteorologist from Beijing told a Hong Kong newspaper, through a technique which falls under the umbrella of "cloud seeding."......

By shooting shells containing chemicals like silver iodide, or dry ice into the sky, scientists say they can create rain.

..... the Weather Modification Office is charged with among other things, dousing the city with rain to get rid of pollution, sandstorms, hail and fires and getting water to arid areas.

Just last Thursday the office claimed to have opened the heavens by firing off 163 cigarette-sized sticks and seven rockets into the sky, bringing as much as 11.2 millimeters of water to a parched, dusty and polluted Beijing, in the heaviest rainfall so far this spring.

The United States started making rain in the 1950s, but later gave up because they could not work out whether the seeding produced more rain, Chan said. China now boasts it is the world's leading rainmaker.

China's meteorological office has announced in its latest five-year plan it wants to produce more rain in the future.

And if all goes to plan, none of it will be falling when the Olympics will be held two years from now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the United States there are many companies available for the right cost. Weather modification and cloud seeding companies are available for hire across the USA.

I think more grants funding weather modification research should be provided by the US government. I would like to see research projects focusing on proper rain management as well as for the prevention of tornados and hurricanes. I would also like this research to include the after effects on the atmoshpere as a result.

This article is a good read, I suggest you take a moment and read it.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Cloud seeding clearly works but has little effect unless you invested insane levels of equipment into it. A company in the US created this stuff (dynogel I think ) non toxic powder that absorbs like 100x its weight in water and turns to a gel that is then broken down by sea water.

But to have any effect on say a hurricane you would need hundreds of C-5 galaxies full of the stuff all dumping it on the hurricane non stop.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
As far as hurricanes are concerned Ben Livingston begs to differ. He believes that it can be done relatively easy.

www.prisonplanet.com...

Cloud seeding concering the increase of rain is actually very effective without using insane levels of equiptment. China has been doing so, as quoted in the article above, and many US companies provide the service with the use of an airplane.

Just last Thursday the office claimed to have opened the heavens by firing off 163 cigarette-sized sticks and seven rockets into the sky, bringing as much as 11.2 millimeters of water to a parched, dusty and polluted Beijing, in the heaviest rainfall so far this spring.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
They need to use this more often. In the northern areas like beijing or tianjin they get really dusty and has a large amount of pollution like smog in the air. If anyone has been to beijing they'll know what i mean

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
According to some poepl and sources, the US government has and does use really advanced weather modification tech, like cloud busters and scalar weapons. And some people believe thats what chemtrails are for too.

J_3

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Is this not great news for people argueing the use of chem trails in US and britain? Atleast China isn't hiding this information.

Finally proof that the streaks that are always covering the sky in my town and grow to increased size, is not a fantasy, it is real and as far as I know has not been disclosed to the people of the towns which take part in these activities.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It is true that China is not hiding it, in fact, some provinces of China have sued others for stealing their rain. It is actually a far more common and talked about practice. Certain states in the USA have been practicing cloud seeding for some time now.

from Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...
-----------------------------------------------------
"In the United States, cloud seeding is used to increase precipitation in areas experiencing drought, to reduce the size of hailstones that form in thunderstorms, and to reduce the amount of fog in and around airports. Cloud seeding is also occasionally used by major ski resorts to induce snow fall. In January 2006, an $8.8 million cloud seeding project began in Wyoming to examine the effects of cloud seeding on snowfall over Wyoming's Medicine Bow, Sierra Madre, and Wind River mountain ranges. [1]

A number of commercial companies, such as Aero Systems Incorporated [2], Atmospherics Incorporated [3], North American Weather Consultants [4] and Weather Modification Incorporated [5] offer weather modification service centered around cloud seeding, and the USAF proposed its use on the battlefield in 1996."
------------------------------------------------------
Other groups doing research include private firms as well as NOAA.

apc

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
According to some poepl and sources, the US government has and does use really advanced weather modification tech, like cloud busters and scalar weapons. And some people believe thats what chemtrails are for too.

You just had to do it...

IMO, screwing with the atmosphere intentionally is more dangerous than unintentionally. Localized weather modification is extremely small scale now. But as understanding improves, this can eventually lead to global modification. Does that seem really bad to anyone else?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Cloud seeding clearly works but has little effect unless you invested insane levels of equipment into it. A company in the US created this stuff (dynogel I think ) non toxic powder that absorbs like 100x its weight in water and turns to a gel that is then broken down by sea water.

But to have any effect on say a hurricane you would need hundreds of C-5 galaxies full of the stuff all dumping it on the hurricane non stop.

Non-toxic powder, absorbs like 100x its weight? You've got to be kidding me! Water isn't the only thing cloud seeding absorbs. It's just a matter of time when industrial pollution mixes in with these artificial cloud masses to produce a toxic rainfall, an acid sludge.

If I could choose a battle to stop something, I'd bet my life this one would be it.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
i agree with the previous two posters altering weather will more than likely be unsustainable. sure it will be good short term but the long term effects won't be positive.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
As far as hurricanes are concerned Ben Livingston begs to differ. He believes that it can be done relatively easy.

And nearly everyone else disagrees

Originally posted by J_3
Is this not great news for people argueing the use of chem trails in US and britain? Atleast China isn't hiding this information.

No. Unless they want to demonstrate their ignorance
Cloud seeding does not take place in clear skies nor does it occur at high altitude. it is not carried out by commercial jets and is not visible in any way from the ground (partly because the cloud being seeded is in the way
)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey
i agree with the previous two posters altering weather will more than likely be unsustainable. sure it will be good short term but the long term effects won't be positive.

There's isn't enough long term data, but I believe there's enough evidence to conclude that silver ionized aerosols are a toxic way at covering up urban air pollution. As a way to alleviate drout, would you want to drink water laced with silver? They already know the long-term harmful effects of fluoride in drinking water, now low concentrations of silver if passed off as being safe? There is definitely something wrong with an aerosol that absorbs 100x its own weight, by bonding with toxic pollutants like sulfur, lead and E-Coli bacteria that winds up in your soil and drinking water.

This is how bacteria will be transferred by cloud seeding:
Bioaerosol characterization

The following link is misleading. You're told that cloud seeding will alleviate drout, while at the same time "it may be an exaggeration to attribute all of the increase to cloud seeding". It seems a huge waste of resources with more than 3,800 rocket launchers, about 7,000 antiaircraft guns and many airplanes, at the expense of 413 million yuan (US$49 million).
China's attempt at alleviating drout

Cloud Seeding Fails to Ease Drought

How Pollution Suppresses Rain

Soil silver content of agricultural areas

They assume that there won't be high enough concentrations of silver in the soil, while at the same time they acknowledge its harmful effects. Now you tell me what scientists are the hypocrites. Lack of long-term research makes even these scientists guilty!
THE SILVER ION IS AMONG THE MOST TOXIC OF HEAVY METAL IONS, PARTICULARLY TO MICROORGANISMS AND TO FISH. THE EASE WITH WHICH AG FORMS INSOLUBLE COMPOUNDS, HOWEVER, REDUCES ITS IMPORTANCE AS AN ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINANT. AG IS NOT LIKELY TO CONCENTRATE TO HARMFUL LEVELS THROUGH EITHER TERRESTRIAL OR AQUATIC FOOD CHAINS. THERE IS SOME POSSIBILITY THAT AG FROM CLOUD SEEDING WILL RETARD GROWTH OF ALGAE, FUNGI, BACTERIA, AND FISH IN FRESH WATER
EC OLOGICAL EFFECTS OF SILVER IODIDE

Nobody can honestly say that cloud seeding is anywhere near safe!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i bet you that they are the ones causing global warming lolol

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kinesis

There's isn't enough long term data

yeah it was just an assumptions i made based on the fact that pretty much every time man kind has intervened or interrupted the natural order it ends in a worse situation of us and the environment

but i guess that is human nature... like smith said we are a virus to this planet. lol

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
And nearly everyone else disagrees

On specifics or in terms of vague generalities about how 'impossible' it is?

Originally posted by J_3
No. Unless they want to demonstrate their ignorance

When some people speak it's ALL they do but even the brightest have their moments.

Cloud seeding does not take place in clear skies nor does it occur at high altitude. it is not carried out by commercial jets and is not visible in any way from the ground (partly because the cloud being seeded is in the way
)

As i remember you do not in fact need a cloud to create rain clouds but i won't argue that it isn't far more efficient or a good general standard.
You can no more prove that no spraying ( tests of biological and chemical releases do happen) are taking place from any planes that you will have success at proving that no commercial aircraft has ever been modified to release substances other than what regular propulsion would require. Why bother making a claim that is entirely indefensible?

Stellar

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
You just had to do it...

The idea behind scientific inquiry is after all to explain what has been or is being observed...

IMO, screwing with the atmosphere intentionally is more dangerous than unintentionally.

Why? Don't you think humanity could benefit in general if we could at some point in the future regulate our climate as we saw fit? Why would that be a bad thing?

Localized weather modification is extremely small scale now.

Well we have been able to intesify or deintensify hurricanes since at least the 60's so unless that qualifies as 'small scale' i would have to disagree with you.

But as understanding improves, this can eventually lead to global modification. Does that seem really bad to anyone else?

Nope. If we can chop down entire forest and pollute vast river systems while hunting to extinction many species we can just as well try to manage the global climate and see if we can negate some of the damage by such means. Sure it's going to be abused but so can everything else.!

Stellar

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
Why? Don't you think humanity could benefit in general if we could at some point in the future regulate our climate as we saw fit? Why would that be a bad thing?

Nope. If we can chop down entire forest and pollute vast river systems while hunting to extinction many species we can just as well try to manage the global climate and see if we can negate some of the damage by such means. Sure it's going to be abused but so can everything else.!

I don't know if you really don't mean what you're writing and you're being sarcastic, or if you're serious. The intensity and frequency of hurricanes and tornados is natures way of ridding the upper atmosphere of foreign pollutants. Air currents near the stratosphere already move at great velocities. When these air masses at the top meet with the warmer air masses on the ground, this manifests in destructive centirugal weather patterns. Nature did not intend to have stagnant smog clouds loom overhead, nor did nature intend for factories, smelters and oil refineries to bellow huge amounts of exhaust fumes into the atmosphere.

It's assumed that silver ionized aerosol techniques will provide a quick fix to decades of unabated pollution. Guess what, that assumption is the worst possible guess anybody could have come up with.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
Why bother making a claim that is entirely indefensible?

Stellar

Because, as I'm sure you well know, I was referring to known, conventional, cloud seeding - as carried out by the Chinese, Russians and a number of private companies in the USA, Australia and elsewhere. Not hypothetical secret experiments
So it is entirely defensible

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kinesis
I don't know if you really don't mean what you're writing and you're being sarcastic, or if you're serious. The intensity and frequency of hurricanes and tornados is natures way of ridding the upper atmosphere of foreign pollutants.

I am quite serious and according to who does nature know what to do with 'foreign' pollutants?

Air currents near the stratosphere already move at great velocities.

You don't say?

When these air masses at the top meet with the warmer air masses on the ground, this manifests in destructive centirugal weather patterns.

And?

Nature did not intend to have stagnant smog clouds loom overhead, nor did nature intend for factories, smelters and oil refineries to bellow huge amounts of exhaust fumes into the atmosphere.

As far as i can tell there is little evidence to suggest that nature either subjectively or objectively care; to do that it would have to be sentient and i am not aware that it is.

It's assumed that silver ionized aerosol techniques will provide a quick fix to decades of unabated pollution. Guess what, that assumption is the worst possible guess anybody could have come up with.

Why is it the worse possible and who suggested it was a guess? Why do you think chemtrails have anything to do with pollution control?

Stellar

top topics

join