It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Boycotts Google?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I hope this is in the right forum. If not, Mods deduct the standard 10% and my sincere apoligies.

Last week I was in the hospital to get stitches in my hand, and as I waited I was reading an article in a Time magazine. It was all about Google and their organization. How they have climbed the ladder so quickly, and how layed back everything is in the day to day business. They preach to be the good guy and at the time proclaimed that they refused to be censored or share personal information. As they say censorship is not acceptable, it states how they accepted censorship with I believe the Japanese or Chinese government. The latter I believe but I'm short for time tonight so either or will have to do for the time being.

But as I read the article it was putting them on the same level as Microsoft almost. And how they were taking dead aim at Microsoft, & vice versa. So my mind began to twirl, what would come of this?

Now I provide technical support in a Microsoft office. We have people coming and going from all over the world in our office, keeping us up to date on the latest news from Microsoft. Now in no way, shape or form am I on any rung of the Microsoft ladder, I am simply the guy who is talking to you on the phone to help fix your problems. The messenger basically.

But today we were informed that all Google related sites were not to be permitted any longer. While on the phone with the customer, we have to recommend MSN Search or www.live.com. I enjoy the Live search, and in time I am sure I will grow custom to it. I found it strange though, how all of the sudden Microsoft is requesting its clients to basically boycot Google. I wonder how far this will go, how long it will last?

Anybody have any thoughts on these companies? Is it inevitable that they will not co-exist? I was given the impression today that Microsoft will be making efforts to do whatever they can to sway the Google trend.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by chissler]

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
If you contact Google do you think they will tell you to use MSN to search?

Doubtful.

I heard ebay and yahoo are going to be working together to get each other more traffic and etc.

Google is also coming out with some sort of online spreadsheet program soon...

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
A few years ago everyone was using Altavista or Lycos, also ive used Copernic alot (software that do search on lots of search engines at the same time).
www.copernic.com...

But today im almost always finding what i search for on Google.

Also if you have much files and think the windows search on your local hdds are slow.. then give X1 a try.. takes a long time to scan the first time.. but after that its basically instant searching

www.x1.com...

While i currently think google does an excellent job and is as far as i know the best general serch engine, its kind of hard to blame Microsoft for not wanting their support team to recomend the competition to their own search engine.

If you phone Intel support im pretty sure they will not tell you to go buy an AMD.. its all about the business

join