It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Origin of Evil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It existed long before Adam and Eve. Except, of course, that they created their own brain cells. The fact is, that life is good and evil where evil outweighs good by a significant margin. If you do not believe this, speak to the Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent Creator that created us for us to follow His, no matter how good or bad, created fate or destiny.

Bring me your facts.

Lord have mercy.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Let me clarify my post. I tried to embrace the secular world for a day and suffered immensely. I felt empty and discovered that secularism is poison for the Soul. PULL AWAY FORM THE SECULAR WORLD AND EMBRACE THE SPIRITUAL WORLD.

"If God causes you to suffer much, it is a sign that He has great designs for you, and that He certainly intends to make you a Saint." St. Ignatius Loyola

"Do you not know that to be a lover of the world means enmity with God? Therefore, whoever wants to be a lover of the world makes himself an enemy of God." James 4:4

"Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:10

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
the origin of evil is humanity

we are the people who define it

now evil is a word people use to defame those that don't agree with them

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
God defines evil. I only trust God and His Infinite Word, not humans and their word.

Then the Lord God said: "See! The man has become like one of us, knowing what is good and bad!" Genesis 3:22

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

I'd side with this argument. There is no such thing as good and bad. Things happen, and when they conflict with our collective hope for survival, we deem them as evil or not good.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
But is there the highest form of reason where not all of us live for Eternity? The reason level that I see in humans frequently approaches stupidity. I do pray each day that all Souls reach Eternal Bliss with God.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
But is there the highest form of reason where not all of us live for Eternity? The reason level that I see in humans frequently approaches stupidity. I do pray each day that all Souls reach Eternal Bliss with God.

I believe the search for eternal life and happiness is one thing. It's tied into our survial instinct, I suppose. But, I believe it's a loophole or flaw, if you will, in our ability to reason to look for higher beings and different planes. When we evolved into humans, it opened up the ability to question our existence and to wonder who created us. This, in turn, gave way to religion.

Aside from this loophole, there is no proof of eternal life or happiness. When we're dead, we are dead.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
to another culture, say an alien culture, what we see as evil could be seen as good in their eyes or maybe they dont even have the notion of good or evil. good and evil are names attached to our actions the discretion of which fall unto common ground rules set by most of the worlds religions.

without religion their would be very little basis to judge someones actions. although they are human interpretations and prone to mistakes they are the governing force behind our reasoning, judgement and even grounds for otherwise unprovoked military action.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
To take a Humanist approach to this discussion would be to exude the very essence of the confusion with the origin of evil. The origin of evil would be defined under a more Spiritual dimension. If Humanists prefer to live in a free society, even if it were to result in evils, then how could a Humanist define the origin of evil? If you take any religion, it's traditions are spawned by man for the majority [i.e. - Christmas on 25Dec], so it would defeat the purpose to go by religions. However, it is the cornerstone of religions, the God(s) that their respective members follow, where the origin of evil is defined. There are Spiritual entities that know evil, that perform evil, and who want us to follow in their footsteps. I personally refer to these entities as demons [as most do], and it is because of them that we may know evil.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

You get my vote.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Good and Evil existed long before humans came on to the scene to try to define, rationalize and give them names or even refute their existence.

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet,
just as a thorn by any other name would would still prick as deep.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The origin of evil is fear.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

This can be taken much farther back than that, for instance, the origin of fear could be lack of understanding or any number of things. The origin of lack of understanding could be ignorance. The origin of ignorance could be humanity, so through the transitive property the origin of fear is humanity

dead on

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by daedalas

This can be taken much farther back than that, for instance, the origin of fear could be lack of understanding or any number of things. The origin of lack of understanding could be ignorance. The origin of ignorance could be humanity, so through the transitive property the origin of fear is humanity

The origin fear is the instinct of "Self Preservation" and love.

Self Preserve.

Self = Me Me Me
Pre = Before
Serve = to aid, help, assist, teach, communicate, etc.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Fear existed prior to humanity's arrival on the scene.
Humanity simply gave it a name.
Ignorance existed prior to humanity's arrival on the scene.

And what gave rise to the 'fear based' instinct of self preservation?
What gave rise to the apparent necessity of the 'fear based' instinct of survival, in the first place?
Could the originator of fear and ignorance be evil itself?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by point

By what pretense do you assume such things as fear and ignorance existing before humanities existance? If it were truely before humans, then it would be before the time as we know it. And in that case we would have never known of it's existance. I agree that humanity gave fear and ignorance a name, but I believe it is because of humanity that fear and ignorance was created.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
PrimaFaciFacts,

It is commonly believed that many animals existed before the emergence of humans.
Would you assume these 'pre human' animals to be all knowing?(without ignorance)
And fearless? (without fear)
Without the 'fear based' instinct of self preservation?
Today's animals seem to express fear and certainly be fairly ignorant when compared to humans.
They also seem to be into the whole self preservation thing.
Would the animals existing prior to humanity's emergence have been so very different/superior to those existing now?
Is that plausable?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimaFaciFacts

By what pretense do you assume such things as fear and ignorance existing before humanities existance? If it were truely before humans, then it would be before the time as we know it. And in that case we would have never known of it's existance. I agree that humanity gave fear and ignorance a name, but I believe it is because of humanity that fear and ignorance was created.

What does it matter, really. I say evil doesn't exist seperate from fear, or truth for that matter. I see how all "bad" emotions seem to stem from fear. Hate, greed, etc etc etc, and a slew of other emotions as well.

I think when the first observer created the concept of love, the first observer may have been ignorant of love's opposite coming into existance.

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimaFaciFacts

What does it matter, really. I say evil doesn't exist seperate from fear, or truth for that matter. I see how all "bad" emotions seem to stem from fear. Hate, greed, etc etc etc, and a slew of other emotions as well.

I think when the first observer created the concept of love, the first observer may have been ignorant of love's opposite coming into existance.

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

I agree that fear is the root of all evil. But, that fear stems from our inability to know all. For example, someone might rob a bank because he wants money. In reality, he is afraid that he may never get that money legally. If he knew that next week he would win the lottery, he wouldn't steal. Or the arabs that attacked America - they say they do it because their god says so. In reality, they fear disobeying their god, and they also fear "Americans" or christians outnumbering them. Everything they do is based on fear. The same can be said for Bush who feared further attacks, a lack of oil, lack of power, whatever.

Thus, it is humanity that creates evil. Think about it... what if a dog eats me today. Is that dog evil? No, he is full.

[edit on 11-6-2006 by Glooper23]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Evil existed before humans existed therefore humans are not the creators of evil.
Giving a name to something does not mean creating it.
Humans are more than capable of choosing to use evil or is it the other way round?
Evil using humans?
Good and Evil are real active forces not merely perceptional illusions.
Fear and ignorane are products of evil.

No we are not the masters of the universe as many would like to believe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join