It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux Compatibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm ready to scrap my Windows system and start running Red Hat 9. Does SETI@home run on Linux?

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
yep...I'm running rh9 and it works fine for it!

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Do they have a specific version for Linux, or should I download the UNIX version or what?

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Click on the download next to the i686-pc-linux-gnu:

you'll have to untar it, and compile it.
that is run from the command line only, but you can do a search at rpmfind.net for a graphical front end

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i just love linux! i have red hat installed on my other computer and its running amazing on my network. Linux is much better the windows, doesn't blue screen every 5 min

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
yeah, I must say it truely is amazing. Have you seen those new IBM commercials for it? dude, I hate commercials, but that one hell of a good commercial. Open source is the way of the future.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
haven't seen it yet. People are starting to work out that micro$oft OS are #, but i must admit Windows 2000 pro is a good OS.

I recommend Linux thou as your no.1 OS, its much better

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Linux is much better the windows, doesn't blue screen every 5 min

I know what ya mean. I have windows ME, and it sucks real bad. I get that blue screen all the time.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
my god man..please, for the sake of all that is good in this world...you must execise the DEMON!"!!!!! windows ME is THE spawn of Satan and represents all that is evil in this world. Please, help in fighting the forces of darkness and remove it, before it claims more souls!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Windows Major Errors you mean

thats a bad OS

[Edited on 22-10-2003 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   
A note on SETI@home and linux..

When I was at Georgia Tech, a friend of mine was using one of the major server clusters there, called ACME. He decided to install SETI@home... well, something #ed up and it spawned like 8000 instances of it, rendering the largest server cluster at Ga Tech useless. lol, his account was banned and was flunked out of the class... was funny #.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I think i saw a command line version which is what you would need for linux

And since we are praising linux i guess I would add my 2 cents...

If it weren't for windows xp i would be using linux right now

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
A question for the whiz's- I am very soon to purchase a complete new system. I have heard a lot about linux, and plan to utilize this OS. I need video capability, as I need to monitor, locally and remotely, 6 different areas of this operation, and I need to be able to remotely view, for security reasons, the entire complex- and it would be nice to be able to record a record of day to day activitys throughout the facility.
With all the availabity there is now, I am confused, however I want to invest in a system that I won't need to worry about . Any builders here? I am definitly a potential client-
I am self taught- with what little knowledge I have I learned myself over the past year and a half. I currently run XP and love it, the appeal to me with linux is virus protection. Thanx-

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Journey,

I am not sure about this. A lot of stuff that is made for windows is not compatible with Linux. right now linux is not very mainstream but it is gaining popularity.

Is there software to be installed using your video system? That is what counts there. If the software will work with linux then you are in good shape.

I know that the price of Windows is very expensive thats why i like Linux

If you want to get linux on CD. Then I recommend searching around on eBay. That is where I got Linux Mandrake... The seller has his own website but I dont think ATS will let me post it because it would be adverstising.....

If you want to knwo I will send you a pm..

By looking at their site now i can see you can get

SuSE Linux 9.0 Professional for $9.99

or

Mandrake 9.2 Powerpack for $14.99

Since you can get these pretty cheap, I would say it wouldn't hurt to give them a try..

If you are on a fast internet connection you can you can get them for free by downloading them... I prefer to have them on CD so I bought the CDs.

Just don't buy them in stores, those cost too much

top topics

join