It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have I become?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
A few weeks ago my company was expecting a few packages that were never delivered. I called up FedEx, and went buck-wild. They kept insisting that the packages were signed for and delivered. The problem is that the receptionist never counts the boxes, so how could we be sure. The equipment had a total value of about $5,000.

Today, our plant-guy goes to fill up his sprinkler thingy in a utility sink, and finds all of the equipment un-boxed, and stacked behind some large garbage cans. Everything was there. Our building has pretty tight security, so I assumed that the thief couldn't sneak out that day with it, so was going to come back for it later.

At this point, there are only a few people who would have had the opportunity. All of these people are on the cleaning crew. I know everyone on the cleaning crew, and they're good people. Two of them have families, and the other is a very nice guy.

In order to catch the person responsible, I've been assigned to add a security tag to the inside of one of the items, a Dell PC. When the tag passes the front/ back/ elevator door, we will have a be able to check the camera feeds and catch whoever did this. We will only be able to see the guy the next day, after they have gone home with the equipment, which means the only way to get it back is to have the police retrieve the items from his home. At that point, this person is screwed. $5,000 bucks is grand larceny, and comes with some real jail time.

I don't want to be the person that sends a good man to jail over a mistake. Or ruins a family beacuse of a few pieces of equipment. After all, what's more valuable, a computer or a family? I'm feeling pretty crappy about what I'm doing, but what am I supposed to do? I'm not the one who makes the call, but I am the one who has to check the camera.

I'm going to hell.....

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I'm going to hell.....

And the person stealing office equipment isn't(if it exists that is
)?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Maybe they are, but what if it's for his daughter who's going to college, or for a grandmother in a nursing home who need to stay in touch via e-mail, or something. I know these are lame hypothetical situations, but they still run through my mind. I used to be the one doing anything necessary for the good of my family, now what am I doing, but setting someone else up do go down for doing the same thing.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Call in sick, tell 'em you got ebola. Next!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
at the end of the day you are just doing your job so i highly doubt your going to go to hell for it, you mention maybe this is for a granma etc, well maybe but it could be to fund drugs or illegal guns aswell.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If your positive its the Cleaning staff then just drop some thinly veiled hints that whoever stole whatever was stolen will be picked up the next day by the cops... hint at GPS or some such, that may make whoever was thinking of taking think twice about it...

Do you job while at the same time sabotaging the chances of it succeeding.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Exactly as sardion said.

Drop some hints to who could possibly be involved, let them know to stay clear. Do not dig your own grave, but leave your conscious at ease.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
First, the company should make sure this does not happen again--take the time to check what comes in, count the boxes, take the time, was that extra time worth the $5000?
Second, you may not end up getting a positive id on camera if this person is a good thief.
Third, how does someone know the equipment is going home and not being sold--then the company is out the equipment.
Troubling position to be in. I'ld tend to side with Sardion2000. Someone needs to hear that their efforts at thievery must be stopped. Hopefully, that might prevent further events.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Also, remember that bold fat lie you gotta tell to make it so you scare the crap out of whoever is doing this. GPS. The prospect of a GPS transmitter within the package should be enough to dissuade them from doing anything further.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'm feeling pretty crappy about what I'm doing, but what am I supposed to do?

Oh, you're right. Go ahead and let the poor guy steal the equipment. That way you'll get ripped-off, and it will encourage him to steal some more. Hey, maybe he's got some kid on cancer at home, and he's stealing to get the kid treatment. Not just going out and buying crack with it. Be a good guy.

:shk:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
what's the harm in just taking the merchandise after it was found? because technically, the equipment hasn't been stolen yet. So if you found the equipment, return it before the "thief" can get it back, then no harm is done. The "thief" can go home to his family, and your business still has it's computer.

Since the equipment has actually been stolen yet, as it's still at the business place, letting the guy take it is setting him up and getting him into a load of trouble that can completely be avoided.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Since the equipment has actually been stolen yet, as it's still at the business place, letting the guy take it is setting him up and getting him into a load of trouble that can completely be avoided.

Good point, such an action could be seen as entrapment by a court of law.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I got the impression that Rasobasi420 had no choice in the matter but was told the part to play by a higher up. I sure hope either Rasobasi420 or someone else explain to the boss the rather nutty idea this is. Well, one doesn't have to use the word nutty but explain why it's not a good idea.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Theives know full well the risks when they steal, yet they still do it. If they aren't willing to make money honestly, then they should be prepared to go to jail if they get caught. Risk vs Reward.

Besides, the more thieves you let go, the more it encourages others to steal.

They are the bad guys, not you Ras.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
In my opinion, people appropriating themselves that equipment from the office trash bin because they though it was junk is no excuse. They should ask permission first before taking that computer home, the worst your boss could reply is NO. This way it illiminates the risks of being accused of smuggling stolen property outside the building.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by ufia]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
During the meeting to decide the proper course, I made the point that since we now have the equipment, we can leave the situation alone. The moment the guy goes back to his stash, and finds it not there,he'll realize he's been caught, and not do it again. THe problem is everyone watches too much CSI and insists on going nuts with the investigation. I can't really tell my boss he's nutty, I'm already on his bad side for not finishing fixing his blackberry during lunch.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ras you got a good heart.

Its obvious you give the benefit of the doubt, possibly to those who do not deserve it. Im guilty of the same most times.

Keep us up to date on how this plays out.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
The moment the guy goes back to his stash, and finds it not there,he'll realize he's been caught, and not do it again.

And he'll be wondering what happened!! lol
CSI wanna be was my first thought! Stealing a lunch from the breakroom refrigerator is not the same as $5000 in eqipment. Well, you have good thoughts, and you tried. The ball is in the boss's court.
BTW had the Blackberry landed in the toilet?

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Okay, so get this......

The head of the cleaning department did what I couldn't. He held a meeting last night in which he made it clear that there would be a surprise inspection of each floor's closet to grade tidyness. There are three cleaning people who use this closet in particular, but apparently 2 of them used other floors primarily. The guilty party came foreward and said that he had found the equipment piled next to the garbage, and put it all in the closet for safe keeping, conveniently forgetting about it for two weeks.

This guy is 19 years old, and not all too bright, so this could really screw him up. Luckily, he never made it out of the building with the equipment, so I don't think he'll face the police. We still have a meeting with him alter to day to check his story, which is full of holes, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the moral support and advice friends, it was very much appreciated.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This really is better for both sides.

Hopefully this man will learn from his error and change his act.

<<   2 >>

join