It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Rock Art Depicts Exploding Star

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
If Beatleguice(sp?) were to go Supernova we'd be safe. If it were to go into a Hypernova however, that is a much different story... Hypernova's supposedly rip apart whole galaxies.

Yeah, but we're safe.

Betelgeuse will never go supernova until someone says it's name three times quickly.

Yarium,

I (fairly) recently was delving into this info for a rather long explanatory post I was composing at another forum. Didn't want you to think I was purposefully fact-checking all your posts!

Harte

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Man I was just watching the science channel and they showed what would happen to earth if a super nova went off 300 Light years away and it was horrific. They said it would pretty much be like atomic bombs going off over the entire side of earth facing the blast. Firestorms, tidal waves just about every destructive force you could think of with massive amounts of Gamma raidiation

They said the odds of that happening in the next million or so years is really remote though. Still makes me wonder how many species out in the universe ended like that.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Well I just finished watching that show and they mentioned "Hypernovas".

The are large suns 10-20 times larger then normal stars and extremely short lived. The can be born and die in a million years. In their death they collapse into a black hole and send out to jets of super intense Gamma rays. Blast so strong in a narrow beam we have detected them from billions of light years away.

Thats pretty much what the guy that developed the concept of super novas said.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Man I was just watching the science channel and they showed what would happen to earth if a super nova went off 300 Light years away and it was horrific. They said it would pretty much be like atomic bombs going off over the entire side of earth facing the blast. Firestorms, tidal waves just about every destructive force you could think of with massive amounts of Gamma raidiation

They said the odds of that happening in the next million or so years is really remote though. Still makes me wonder how many species out in the universe ended like that.

I've seen that show as well and the data they use is obsolete. Recent calculations puts the "Kill Zone" of a Supernova at roughly 10-15 lightyears. I'll try to find the article, though it was a while ago so no promises of actually finding the link.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
10-15 lightyears would be much better and I imagine vastly lower the odds of something like that happening to earth. Its scary what it can do if your in the Kill zone though really end of the world type stuff if your close to one of those things.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I personally don't know a lot behind the research or work but my Astronomy teacher does. We talked about this in class and he didn't seem to big on the connection. He linked us this article that argues against the rock representing the supernova. Apparently not a whole lot of people in the scientific community agree with this guy.

Link

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join