It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unity08...An alternative to the two major parties?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I just heard about an attempt to form a third political party for the 2008 presidential election, Unity08. It seems to be a political campaign I could actually get behind.

The idea is to run a combined ticket with a candidate from each party. In theory, it would eliminate the polarized politics of today's political arena. Though I could see a problem with deciding who gets to be president. Maybe they could take turns or share power. The other option is an independent candidate who "presents a Unity Team from both parties."

Anyway, my question is, would candidates from the two parties still be "business as usual", just with less bickering? It seems that in order to have a chance, the candidates would need to be big names in politics. With a name comes insider status. With insider status comes power that corrupts and a tendency to go with the system.

Or would a combined team actually make a difference and be able to achieve something in a more positive atmosphere?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
"Unity08 divides issues facing the country into two categories: Crucial Issues – on which America’s future safety and welfare depend; and Important Issues – which, while vital to some, will not, in our judgment, determine the fate or future of the United States.

In our opinion, Crucial Issues include: Global terrorism, our national debt, our dependence on foreign oil, the emergence of India and China as strategic competitors and/or allies, nuclear proliferation, global climate change, the corruption of Washington’s lobbying system, the education of our young, the health care of all, and the disappearance of the American Dream for so many of our people.

By contrast, we consider gun control, abortion and gay marriage important issues, worthy of debate and discussion in a free society, but not issues that should dominate or even crowd our national agenda.

In our opinion – since the disintegration of the Soviet Union – our political system seems to have focused more attention on the “important issues” than the “crucial issues.” One result: The political parties have been built to address the interests of their “base” but have failed to address the realities that impact most Americans. "

from the unity website.

and what i have to say to that is AMEN!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz
The idea is to run a combined ticket with a candidate from each party.

Each candidate would be booted from their respective party then.

In theory, it would eliminate the polarized politics of today's political arena.

As an aside, originally the President of the US was the person that received the plurality of votes, and the Vice President was the runner-up. Imagine that.

Though I could see a problem with deciding who gets to be president. Maybe they could take turns or share power.

That would be unconsitutional.

join