It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human-to-human bird flu transfers likely exceed reports.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   

'Likely' more human-to-human bird flu infections in Indonesia

"In the wake of a cluster of avian flu cases that killed seven members of a rural Indonesian family, it appears likely that there have been many more human-to-human infections than the authorities have previously acknowledged," writes Donald G. McNeil Jr. in an article slated for Sunday's New York Times, RAW STORY has learned.

Until recently, World Health Organization representatives have said there were only two or three such cases. On May 24, Dr. Julie L. Gerberding, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, estimated that there had been "at least three." Then, on May 30, Maria Cheng, a WHO spokeswoman, said there were "probably about half a dozen."

And Dr. Angus Nicoll, chief of flu activities at the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control, acknowledged that "we are probably underestimating the extent of person-to-person transmission."

See, also:

Human Flu Transfers May Exceed Reports

More human bird-flu transfers likely

A World of Worry

I'm not surprised by this at all. Under-reporting of cases should have been predictable...

[edit on 4-6-2006 by loam]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

You have voted loam for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I'm so glad you posted this I thought it was an important find when I read it early yesterday morning -- but as I had just gotten home from an awards banquet I really wasn't in any shape to make a post

I just wonder how under reported it was - and also how many cases happened in more remote areas that didn't report it or even realize it. It will be interesting to follow this as we get more information.

time to replace some of my pantry items I think.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
there hasn't really been any profound advances from the H5N1 has there. Last time I checked the forum like a few months ago, there wasn't much to say either. I'm not too worried about any of this.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I don't believe at this point it's too much to worry about. I have been a follower of this flu for a little over a year.

Although I agree that humans are more likely the vectors of these cluster cases, the virus still remains a deep lung tissue flu. Meaning that family members are giving it to each other because of the proximity but they couldn't say sneeze and pass it along to someone on the street, which means it's still contained.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Except that the simple fact that there is any human to human transition means the virus has mutated, and probably continues to do so.

So it may only be a matter of time before it mutates to a pandemic as they have speculated all along. In fact, this is a sign confirming the transformation they are fearing. At least that's how I see it.

I'm not in a panic, but I'm certainly not letting my guard down. On the other hand, I know if this were to go pandemic, I would have to risk infection if my parents or someone I love needs care, because I would HAVE to take care of them. My choice, and if it took me too, what can I do about it? I'm not going to worry, it doesn't change anything to worry.

I do feel it's disconcerting, especially since it seems they are reporting so little with these new developments.

new topics

top topics

join