It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members Of ATS, I Ask For Your Opinion On This Picture.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Jake and Zero hit the nail right on the head! Great posts gentlemen!

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Most of what needs to be said can be found in Dan Brown's book. And heres your grail, 2nd pillar from the left. I'm not vouching for it though, might or might be a hoax. It can only be seen in the restored painting. This site has it www.davincigrail.com... and this site might be the first site to have it realmoftwelve.fateback.com... . Not too sure which came first

from wikipedia,

from davincigrail.com

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Craft]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
I would just like to know what your interpitations are towards this famous piece of art work.

It sure doesn't seem like enough food for all those people.
And what's the guy in the center doing? Reaching for something with his right hand that isn't there, and indicating a bun with his left. I don't get it.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance
Why are people trying to read into a painting that was done hundreds of years after the actual Last Supper really occured??? You people need to realize that DaVinci didn't ask Jesus and his disciples to "pose" for the portrait. DaVinci wasn't sitting in front of the table observing all goings on and the elements and objects surrounding the actual event.

Why then would you belive anything that is in the bible, were you there?

Why do Christians mock any alternatives to what is written in the bible?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by uuhelpus

They believe that all that stuff in the Bible really happened. I don't know where they would get such a nutty idea. They're just stupid and gullible, I guess. But people believe all kinds of wacky, ridiculous stuff. Fortunately for this website.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Maybe, but my opinion is that John is not a woman. I admit, the picture does make him look femenine, but if you look closely, you may see what I do. I see Johnn with very little facial hair. Same color as Jesus's, or at least very very close. Looks to me that Johns hair is more or less pronounced only at the chin. I thought wear for a moment, but the color is still there. Also, something that really is impressive is that I see Peter holding Judas by knifepoint, and apparently threatening the other too to hush and not interfere, while he seems to be either berating John, or at least giving him very harsh words. It truly looks like nothing other than a knife. I can see no resemblance to a bag of coins as one mentioned here. And one other thing I noticed, is the round peices of food on the table look exactly like they are bread. As well, there appears to be potatoes that appear a bit browner than the lighter bread. Back in those days, it didn't come in loaf style. hehe. Round, small and semi flat. Also, if you look real close, it seems there may be fish as well. It appears at the right hand of Jesus. It is long, silvery, and the tail looks like Jesus is just barely touching it. Notice, though. No other eating utensils on the table. Just a knife in Peters' hand. They do indeed seem to be in a frenzy trying to get everything in order before Jesus's departure.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I do believe this thread started out as to what our interpretations of the picture was. So, maybe we should stick to it.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

• Jesus is reaching for something with his right hand, but looking at his left hand.
  • Peter (4th from left) is reaching for whatever Jesus is reaching for, but is looking at John (5th from left).
  • Andrew (3rd from left) is in a defensive pose, and it seems an unknown hand has a knife drawn to him.
  • James major (2nd to Jesus' right) is staring at whatever Jesus and Peter are reaching for.
  • And Thomas (to Jesus' right) seems to be staring, in amazement, at the length of his index finger.

Yeah, very odd painting.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Xenophobe]

• On the right hand, you'll see Judas, and if you'll recall, Jesus said he would dip his bread and offer it to the one who was to betray Jesus. It seems as if that right hand is headed that way. No bread and wine...who really knows? But it's going in that direction, and Judas does not look happy. Look at the external image posted as the "original" about 3 posts from the top and you can see judas is clearly upset.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:21 PM
    link   
    Is it me, or does Peter look like hes trying to have a peek down Mary/John's top? Look at his fingers. It looks like one finger trying to pry away the edge of the blouse to have a look at some boobage?

Or am I just a very sick elf.

Dont answer that.....................

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:23 PM
    link   
    Ok! As I see it Jesus has just told them he is giving him self to the Romans and they are going to kill him. The woman! Tries to cult her own throat. They stop her and hold her arm! The rest are arguing over Jesus decision. Now look at the panting.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:40 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

They believe that all that stuff in the Bible really happened. I don't know where they would get such a nutty idea. They're just stupid and gullible, I guess. But people believe all kinds of wacky, ridiculous stuff. Fortunately for this website.

You do know that there are many ATS members here that are Christians? Please check out #2 of the T&C:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please guide yourself accordingly.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:10 PM
    link   
    Enkidus post was out of line, but my post is valid.

everyday I reexamine my beliefs.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:21 PM
    link   
    I would just like to say that interpretation as well as disscussion is allowed here, this is such a nice piece of work but i cant help but feel there is something to it.
    Nice posts people

Omega

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:51 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

Just like the many fools who read a two bit dime store novel and take it seriously even though every serious historian points it out as fiction.

It's a painting! A freaking painting! It's Da Vincis take on the last supper. If he was giving hidden messages and knew so much then why are so many of the men portrayed with long hair? Why doesn't Jesus, the Rabbi, have a hat? Covers were mandatory for Rabbis at the time and still are I believe. Men were not allowed to wear long hair, but this work like most at the time and still today, portrays some of the men, including Jesus, with long hair. Even the bible has something in it penned by Paul stating something about men not wearing their hair long because it was disrespectful to God or something like that and yet, Da Vinci missed that part of Judeo/christian history. Jesus didn't look that way at all.

Why is the room depicted as a grand hall with rolling hills in the background when really it was a dingy hole?

Why are they sitting instead of lying down, which was how they ate then?

What you are seeing is an inaccurate, European, romanticisized depiction of Jesus and his followers. It's a good painting. A workof art. Nothing more, unless you want to see something else there.

You're gonna read in to it what you want. If you lean that way then it won't take much for someone else to plant ideas in your head like anything else, UFOs, conspiracies...etc. You're gonna see a feminine John even though two other disciples look feminine also. It's the way the man painted. He liked soft. Even the ugly old guys have soft features.

Does any one here really believe Da Vinci could've rendered an accurate portrait of Charles Bronson?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:07 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Omega85
    Hey there, yep i have read the book, very good read.
    Well i dont understand that this was supposed to be the supper where Jesus himself drank from the holly grail and yet , There are NO goblets or vessils of any kind on the table, And yes i heared that the figure to the left of Jesus is supposed to be a man when clearly just by looking at it , its not.
    There also seems to be alot of things going on around the table.

If you look closer at the actual artwork posted by loam, there are GLASS cups in the painting. Almost transparent, almost faded to see clearly.

I cannot locate a very high-res image of the Last Supper that would allow us to look closer at the painting in greater details.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:51 PM
    link   
    You have voted notbuynit for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.
    [ED] And JungleJake, if I could throw one your way, you'd be getting hooked up, too. Try giving an applause to yourself

My sentiments exactly, and in a much more eloquent way than I could have put it. I can't add much else as far as an examination of the painting. You said it, and I too am tired of seeing everyone reading so much into this piece of art. As for how he handled the subject, I think his art may have had a message in it, as nearly all rennasaince pieces did at the time, political, religious, or otherwise. It's nothing as immense that he would have to 'encode' the message untill the lay humans were able to crack said code at a later day (Perhaps putting the message in book and motion picture form, which I refuse to read or see because the subject has hijacked almost every History and Discovery channel presentation!
    ).

Painting, as with all art, is above all else a personal thing. This is a reflection of his personality, his energy, his spirit as much anything else. Keep in mind, people, that speech was not fully free, even in Rennesaince Florence. If DaVinci was trying to say something through this painting, would not the careful, censoring eye of the Roman Catholics catch on? Especially if they were trying to keep this information muffled. These artists were superstars, their works drew viewers from all corners. Anything against Church doctrine was dealt with in no uncertain terms. Remember Galileo?

What I take from this is the sense of emotion that DaVinci may have tried to express through the painting. Jesus is serene, peaceful, and has an air of reverence about him. There is empty space on either side of him, and beyond that are the apostles, whose emotions are wild in the general and range from sadness, remorse, anger, confusion, and excitement in the specific. Even in his closest allies, Jesus' teachings never really resonated within them.

It's tragic, really. Jesus never wanted to be worshipped, he wanted people to follow in his footsteps. He wanted people to love God, and love their neighbor. Not much more, nothing less. Here we are, roughly 2000 years later, trying to figure out if there are descendants of Jesus among us, but why? Do we feel the need to find Jesus? Are we that lost without him? Instead of looking for him through old and vauge paintings, try looking in yourself.

At least, that's what I take from this painting. Nothing revolutionary

[edit on 5-6-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:52 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Amante

Incredible piece of work though.

I would like to echo your words. These are points that need to be considered. Da Vinci was a great artist, but he just was not there.

But it sure sells a lot of books.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 07:55 PM
    link   
    Looks to me that Jesus has kind of a foxy chick by his right hand..

but she,s flirting with the other guys

Is that what you,re getting at?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:40 PM
    link   
    Greetings all, i took the image to paintbrush did a custom cutout of mary and movied her to the side a little and this is what it made, interesting i think.

Hmmm, what do u all think? it seems she perfectly sits there, i didnt use any sort of photoshop tools to do it just cutout from paintbrush. Interesting though.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:03 AM
    link   
    In terms of artistic composition, that does fit together rather nicely.

Do you think any of the other figures can be re-arranged like that?

[edit on 6-6-2006 by Xenophobe]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join