It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members Of ATS, I Ask For Your Opinion On This Picture.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Greetings all , i hope you are all well.

I would just like to know what your interpitations are towards this famous piece of art work.

This photo is indeed the famous artwork of Da vinci titled The Last Supper, I would just like to get peoples Thoughts and views on this picture. There are things i dont understand about it and i would like to hear what peoples thoughts and views are on this magnificant piece of artwork.

Omega.

PS. all viewpoints are respected and taken in , i am anxious to hear what your thoughts are on this.

[removed 'im' tags and replaced with 'img' tags, which are for off-site external images -nygdan]

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
What a fabulous painting, I've always thought so. Curious as to what are the things you don't understand? Don't know if you have read the Da Vinci Code, but I must admit that I always thought the figure to the left of Jesus was a man until the book got me to take a closer look. But the figures second from the left, and third and fourth from the right could be considered women too ( ugly women at that). Then there is the lack of cups, which does seem a little odd. If anything, it remains Da Vinci's interpretation of the last supper, accurate or not.

Still an amazing work of art.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
One problem. That is not the original.

This is:

[edited to remove im tags and replace with img tags -nygdan]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hey there, yep i have read the book, very good read.
Well i dont understand that this was supposed to be the supper where Jesus himself drank from the holly grail and yet , There are NO goblets or vessils of any kind on the table, And yes i heared that the figure to the left of Jesus is supposed to be a man when clearly just by looking at it , its not.
There also seems to be alot of things going on around the table.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Hello all , i have found out who these people are and they are as follows.

They are from left to right.

* Bartholomew, James Minor and Andrew form a group of three. All are aghast, Andrew to the point of holding his hands up in a "stop!" gesture.

* Judas, Peter and John form the next group of three. Judas, you will note, has his face in shadow and is clutching a small bag (of silver?). Peter is visibly angry and a feminine-looking John seems about to swoon.

* Christ is the calm in the midst of the storm.

* Thomas, James Major and Philip are next. Thomas is clearly agitated, James Major stunned and Philip seems to be seeking clarification.

* Matthew, Thaddeus and Simon comprise the last group of three figures. It appears that, when a situation turns ugly, Simon is the "go to" guy for explanations.

From arthistory.about.com...

There is no way that "John" is a man . It is clearly a female.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yup, no cups. You could also assume all the turmoil that appears around the table could be due to the fact that it is Mary to Jesus' left. There are a few dirty and disgusted looks aimed in her direction, not to mention the hand across the throat and the hand with the dagger (maybe it is supposed to be Mary's hand).

The contrast of red and blue between the two of them is unique as no one else is wearing those two colours.

And if thats not John, where is he?

[edit on 4-6-2006 by poolboy]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It is indeed, They are almost in Uniform or AS ONE together,
seems strange doesnt it?
There are supposed to be hidden images in this painting aswell.

Omega

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
My take can be found throughout this thread, starting with this post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It could be argued that the right side of jesus was in conflict with the left side of himself. Also, I find it odd that jesus's left hand is opened peacefully while his tight hand is making a grabbing gesture. No cups is strange as well. AAC

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Actually, the lack of cups isn't strange at all. Leonardi Da Vinci was an agnostic/athiest (one or the other) and wasn't concerned with the holy sacriment. It was the human reaction to the betrayal that interested him. He tried to capture the very moment when Jesus said someone would betray Him, and adding cups and references to the holy sacriment would only distract from the reactions of the people. Notice, too, there is no bread on the table.

[edit on 6/5/06/05 by junglejake]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
All interesting takes on this beautiful piece of artwork. Let us keep in mind that it was painted by DaVinci, a man who lived much later than Jesus Christ and had no more knowledge of the life of Jesus than we do now. This is not a "factual" painting. It is what one man thought the Last Supper was like. If you want information on Jesus and the last supper I suggest you refer to the Bible.
It is always interesting to see how artists portray people, places, and events in their work. I agree that it seems as though DaVinci either thought there was a woman at the Last Supper or thought that John was extremely feminine. I do not believe that this painting "proves" that Mary was there or, for that matter, proves anything.

Incredible piece of work though.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Actually The da vici painting was only famous in the West.

The painting of St John is easy..he is the youngest Apostel, and thus, has no beard growth.

Also, the Western art potrayed Jesus Christ without a beard, whilst the East always had them with a beard.

Western culture went through the rainasance(spelling?)while the EAST did not.

Read more..
On ART in early Christianity

helen

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Hmm.. never really paid much attention to the painting before. It's really not one of my favorites. But now that I look at it, that is one strange painting.

My overall opinion is that the figures seem oddly contorted, almost as if they were some sort of "renaissance clipart" taken from separate paintings. Also, way too much emphasis is placed on the figures hands.

Some more specific peculiarities:

• Jesus is reaching for something with his right hand, but looking at his left hand.
  • Peter (4th from left) is reaching for whatever Jesus is reaching for, but is looking at John (5th from left).
  • Andrew (3rd from left) is in a defensive pose, and it seems an unknown hand has a knife drawn to him.
  • James major (2nd to Jesus' right) is staring at whatever Jesus and Peter are reaching for.
  • And Thomas (to Jesus' right) seems to be staring, in amazement, at the length of his index finger.

Yeah, very odd painting.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Xenophobe]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
Hey there, yep i have read the book, very good read.
Well i dont understand that this was supposed to be the supper where Jesus himself drank from the holly grail and yet , There are NO goblets or vessils of any kind on the table,

I'd think we'd have to ask davinci that no? But thats really a matter of Art Interpreation than religion no?

There also seems to be alot of things going on around the table.

That seems to be the style for the times, to have lots of activity in a single work.

There is no way that "John" is a man . It is clearly a female.

Since there are no genitalia, its not clearly anything. It looks as much like a man as anything, and since no one, including davinci, claimed it was a woman until the modern era, why think its a woman?

As far as the colours, there are others in the scene who are wearing red, or blue, but yes, not both, but so what? Why take it as having a secret meaning when it could have a mundane artistic meaning, it balances out the center of the picture.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Interesting, Though

The persons face in the painting seems like that not of the others not rough or scruffy but fine and somewhat feminen, She seems to have a slender figure that appears not to be masculine in anyway.

The other members of the photo are plainly men and i find it strange in my opinion anyway that alot of Da Vincis work was to do with the Feminen Strength , another such painting that demonstrates this is the Mona Lisa, i wonder if he could have been trying to tell us something through this work.

It is said that Da Vinci was a member of the nights templar so if this is true they would not allow him to blatantly portray such a thing in a picture of the last supper, especially not if they were trying to hide this .
So it isnt that far fetched if he chose to do it in a different way alltogether (like some people suggest he did with the Mona Lisa) This painting i feel is beautifull though i cant help but wonder when i look at it. to me it appears that the other members of the table are in state of unease and i wonder why this is, what could have been so shocking as to cause the commotion?

Omega

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omega85
The persons face in the painting seems like that not of the others not rough or scruffy but fine and somewhat feminen, She seems to have a slender figure that appears not to be masculine in anyway.

The figure doesn't look all that much like a woman. No beard, thats it.

that alot of Da Vincis work was to do with the Feminen Strength

In what other works is this presented? The mona lisa's only subject is a woman, and some have simply speculated that the figure is really davinci.

It is said that Da Vinci was a member of the nights templar

How would he be in such an organization when it had already been destroyed? Why would someone so atheistic, apparently, be in such a religious organization?

and i wonder why this is, what could have been so shocking as to cause the commotion?

You've hit the nail on the head. Davinci has excellently portrayed the disruption that would've occured as jesus announced that "one of you, my faithful devotees, is going to betray me' "oh not me jeuss, certainly not me' 'none of us would do that' etc etc. It is, after all, the last supper.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
See thats just it, there are those who say the knights templar still live, some say that they are involved with the papal knights of the vatican somehow,
I dont know, she just looks feminen where all the others are masculine.
U r right this is the place where he told them one would betray him b4 the crowing of the rooster, though it is also apparently the place where he drank from the grail which is not visible in the image, unless it has something to do with mary.

Just a thought

Omega

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I just want to know what the guy behind Jesus wants, he is holding up one finger.

Does he need to chat or what?

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Here are some other feminen works by Da vinci.

and another

and one more

all visually stimulating works i think.

Omega

[edit on 5/6/2006 by Omega85]

Mod Edit: Image Hotlinking – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
What the heck are all these people pointing at. Geez

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join