It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unity08 Movement...

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Unity08 is a a US political movement claiming to be dedicated to the fielding of a bi-partisan presidential ticket for the 2008 election. The organization's website states that it does not desire to form a 3rd political party and that its purpose is only to repair the existing 2 party system, which due to partisan bickering and special interest groups is no longer serving the interests of the american people. The founders include democrats Hamilton Jordan and Jerry Rafshoon and Doug Bailey, an advisor to moderate Republicans, as well as, Angus King, the twice elected independent governor of Maine.

www.unity08.com
We are of all ages, backgrounds, colors and beliefs and from both parties:

* Some of us have been involved in political campaigns at the state and national levels and served in high government positions.
* Others of our leadership group have never been active in political life but have been highly successful in the private sector, active in the non-profit world and in other walks of American life.
* Still others of our leadership group are students, who are concerned that the agenda of special interests is coming before the national interest.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Everyone is fed up with the partisan policitcal bickering between the democrats and republicans. In my dreams I wish the organization success in achieving its stated goals, so I will keep an open mind, but I do not believe it is likely that rejects from these same two parties are the answer to the broken political system.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.denverpost.com
www.opinionjournal.com

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
FINALLY!

john kerry tried to field mccain as a running mate, and that was a step in the right direction.

but a bipartisan ticket is the only way to go.

we cannot have complete domination by one party, just look what harm it's done this country.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
An interesting development coming at this particular time period. I will stand by to see what it does. Personally, I'm for getting rid of the Electoral College and going for strictly proportional representation.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There was a large write up in the Maine Sunday Telegram yesterday about the Unity08 ticket, mainly due to former governer Angus King's involvement. Unity08 is certainly a daunting prospect, but the payoffs, if only broaching the idea of a viable third party (Sorry, Greens, you've been going at it for half a century and sure you had a seat or two before..but you're just not cutting it) to the American public. At the least, I hope it will increase the 'excitement' of presidential races. By that, I mean voter apathy (More people voting for American Idol every week than for the American president every four years...
) is in part due to the same race, same campaign every four years, only packaged with a different face. We need some fresh blood, party-wise.

Taking the Party out of Politics
King knows many will pooh-pooh Unity08 as a pipe dream. Asked about the project Friday as he prepared to address the Democratic State Convention, Maine House Speaker John Richardson said he was "shocked" at King's involvement in Unity 08.

"I'm wondering whether the former governor is in search of some relevance," he said.

Could be. Or perhaps King, who caught everyone off guard when he won the first of his two terms as an independent governor in 1994, is on to something.

"I'm doing this because I'm worried about this country's future," King said. "I truly am."

So was George Washington.

Portland Press Herald/MaineSunday Telegram June 4th, 2006

In similiar news, I would not be suprised if Maine's senior senator, Olympia Snowe (Who, if you don't mind me bragging (We don't get much to brag about in Maine), is a respected member of Finance, Intelligence, and Business committes) gets unseated in the coming elections. The two Democratic Primary opponents are doing their best to launch a reform campaign, and are accusing Snowe of marching "lock step" with Bush on security issues.
To my suprise, the word "Impeachment" is not a taboo words for these candidates, who do not mince words. The two, hay Bright (Snowe's first potential Female opponent in her 28 years of campaigning) and Eric Mehnert definately have the moxie to take on Snowe, I'm just hoping that they find enough legitimate funding to get their message out. it's time for change.
A quick read on it, if you're interested

new topics

top topics

join