It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America founded on lies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The lie I refer to is the mythic stature given to the founding fathers, and specifically George Washington:

"American mythologists conjured stories from the thin air about Washington such as the story of him chopping down a cherry tree and admitting it to his father because he “could not tell a lie.” Contrary to the fairy tales, Washington was one of U.S. history’s most successful criminals, aptly described as the “father of our country.” In 1782, Washington presented a plan to the Continental Congress to defraud the Native Americans. It was a blueprint for theft and genocide. Washington built his fortune partly by stealing native land, so his plan came to him quite naturally..." [paraphrased]

The American Empire

The source is a long and fascinating study. Search for Washington, or just browse. I was astounded by what I read.

Washington was pretty mild compared to Ben Franklin who advocated the sport of hunting natives with dogs. The Pilgrim fathers were sadists who took pleasure in killing indians. Overall, our treatment of the indians was actually worse than the spanish's.

[edit on 4-6-2006 by rizla]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Our country was founded on lying, backstabbing, tom foolery, rebellion, and cheating(don't forget mudslinging!).

The pilgrims rebelled from the King, we backstabbed, cheated, and lied to the Natives, and tomfooled our way through the Boston Tea Party.

And if the people didn't make Washington seem like such a great person, nobody would respect us, or come to the country, which honestly I don't see as a problem.

They did what they did because it was necessary, or seemed so at the time.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuburbianGuerilla
Our country was founded on lying, backstabbing, tom foolery, rebellion, and cheating(don't forget mudslinging!).

So were all other countries.

Our country was also founded on hard work, extreme hardship, and dedication to some brilliant principles.

If you're so embarassed, then leave.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by SuburbianGuerilla

So were all other countries.

Our country was also founded on hard work, extreme hardship, and dedication to some brilliant principles.

If you're so embarassed, then leave.

Honestly I believe all countries are discovered and formed through those means. Clearly I never said I was "embarassed" to be an American.

Don't be so combatant. Personally, I don't think it would be fine to wander out into a remote area and say I CLAIM THIS LAND IN THE NAME OF IGNORAMUS.

You have to work for everything, no matter what time era you're in.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Americas first leaders did lie, but thats not saying America was founded on lies??

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
All nationalism is a form of false consciousness based on the concept of scarcity. The United States’ mythology is little different than the nationalism myths that have been perpetuated all over the world. The story of the noble elites and how they responsibly wielded their power are what Chomsky calls “folk tales.” In fact, early American mythologists plainly stated that America needed its own mythology (lies), separate from European mythology, in order to establish our national identity. In a world of abundance:

www.ahealedplanet.net...

these games do not need to be played anymore; we can realize that we are all one, and we can put aside nationalism, tribalism and the other scarcity-based “isms” as the games we played as children. I hope I live to see it come to pass.

Wade

[edit on 5-6-2006 by wadefrazier3]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Would any of you like to keep this country running on what Noam Chomsky thinks or is even capable of thinking??

How about having Noam on board as a founding father??
Where would we be now??

I agree...this country was founded very similar to how other countrys were founded..of necessity.

I do however believe hijackers have taken it over...both in the poltical process and in our public schools which are financed by the political process. Think long and hard on what this means for us. As far as I can tell this hijacking began about the civil war and continued quickly after 1900 unto what is happening today.

I am not into such emotionalism or wont to be jerked off emotionally by such blatant tact as posted by Rizila in their first post on this page. This is standard public school tactic today. It smacks of guilt conditioning/programing. I dont give makeovers for such. I am not wont to have someone come in so blatently and substitute thier emotional requirements for mine. Hence I dont watch Oprah, Maury, or take lie detector tests nor give makeovers for second place. This is standard public school format in many institutions today. Not intrested in guilt transference as a political strategy. This is alot of what is wrong with out two party system today. I spot this fingerprint very quickly now days and turn the channel or speak my mind. I am not that femminine that I have to use this tack to play through on automatic default tactics. This too is much of the problem with todays political partys. REmember who pays for public education...the government...hence politics. You get what they pay for. Think ..dont emote.

Rizila ..this tactic doesnt work on me.

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join