It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America This is How Your Meat is Made…

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Where did anyone get the idea that PETA makes anything up?

I can assure you that there are no wild claims being made by any animal rights type groups at all, anymore than human rights groups are making anything up.

Some of you are in denial about what actually takes place in the world in order for you to be able to buy what you use.

How do you think that animals are killed for meat or leather or whatever then?

How do you think animal testing works if not in the ways you have been shown?

I used to see PETAs newsletters - they are very very mild in what they describe, the reality is far worse.

I used to be very into the goriest horror movies that I could find, it was a hobby I had some years ago. I'd trade tapes with others and so forth through the mail, there was no www and DVDs then. Occaisionally there would be lists with documentaries on them - such as Red Asphalt because they were so bloody and also real. Well one tape that some people liked was a farming documentary released by Compassion in World Farming, because it showed exactly what happens when animals are killed in slaughterhouses and the like. I have never seen that particular film as I wasn't into that sort of thing at all, but I have never been under the illusions that some folks here so obviously are as to where the meat I ate came from and how it was procured.

I was also very much into anti-censorship, being a film fan. This is the kind of thing that illustrates how sick our society is - make up effects are often deemed too realistic to be shown and are cut by film censors. Yet you can go anywhere just about and buy real meat that has actually been brutally killed and treated like s*** it's whole life.

That's way beyond the worst kinds of schizoid insanity, the ignorance of actual fact involved in such a society is more than mentally ill.

To the poster that finds it laughable that there'd be psychic links between real hunters and the animals that give them life here, you obviously know nothing about hunting prior to modern day store-bought weapons then.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Just a note about veganism,

no you don't need supplements. What you probably will need is to be fairly well off financially in order to afford the needed organic foods, otherwise you will have to make do with pesticide-laden poisoned food.

Remember that animals like gorillas are very much vegans. And so on, all that muscle and power comes from raw fruit and leaves. It's a myth that eating meat makes you strong, it doesn't. It makes you easily controllable and docile to masters instructions, and bulks you up. Animals that hunt do not eat every day, they spend a few days lounging around before beginning another hunt (I'm talking about big cats for example like lions and tigers and leopards).

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ed 209
Where did anyone get the idea that PETA makes anything up?

I can assure you that there are no wild claims being made by any animal rights type groups at all, anymore than human rights groups are making anything up.

I did it the old-fashioned way; I read thier website and saw many claims that I knew were just untrue. I don't have time right now to go find a bunch of examples, but if you're interested, just read the articles on thier website, then do your own research on the internet on non-PETA sites, and you will see. They do have some true claims, otherwise they couldn't hook anybody into their beleifs if everything was ludicrous.

Originally posted by ed 209I can assure you that there are no wild claims being made by any animal rights type groups at all, anymore than human rights groups are making anything up.

You wording here sounds like human rights groups make things up, so it's ok if animal rights groups do the same. Again, do some research on the website and you will see that not everything there is true.

I eat meat. I wear leather shoes. I have a fur coat. My family hunts. When I was growing up, all our food came from my parents hunting or from our own cattle/pigs. I have the ability to differentiate human life from animal life. I do have pets that I'm very close too, however, when it comes down to it, I would sacrifice them for a human life. As much as we can all love our animals, it still stands that they are animals.

And I think I've "met my meat" more than most. Like I mentined above, our own cattle/pigs were our food. Do you know what happens to the pigs and many of the cattle that 4-H kids show after the county fair? They are auctioned off for meat. The animals that we cared for and trained for a year became hamburger and pork chops. It's just the way things work; animals are a food source.

[edit on 6/13/2006 by abbyful]

[edit on 6/13/2006 by abbyful]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ed 209
. It makes you easily controllable and docile to masters instructions, and bulks you up.

that comment doesnt make sense,at all

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I can't bear these ill-informed 'debates' about Animal Rights from people who think with their taste buds.

The reason most people eat meat is nothing to do with their well being, but because it is the easy, obvious and tasty option.

Animals feel pain and have emotions. Before anyone gets up in arms about this, why not actually do a bit of research on the subject before spouting out that it is a ridiculous notion.

And irrospective of this, why should animals have to have human traits to deserve our respect? How arrogant.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If you would do a bit of research, you know realize that humans are omnivores. And I trust nature to make a better decision on what we should be eating than you.

Do you get upset about animals eating other animals? Or are you one of those people that also insist on feeding carnivorous animals like dogs and cats a vegan diet as well?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
For me the eating of animals isn't the problem. It is the inhuman, barbaric sadistic and disrespectful way that they are treated and killed.

In this day and age we can exist healthily (probably more healthily) on a vegetarian diet. Healthy lifestyle, no suffering for animals, everyone is happy.

The number of people I know who love animals- and hate the way they are treated- but carry on eating meat through sheer laziness and apathy is astounding.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I hate it. Can't smoke, shouldn't eat meat,can't have an abortion, can't have guns, can't have sex, can't support same sex,can't smoke pot, people shouldn't hunt. WTF! Why can't people just live as YOU WANT to live, and what makes you happy and let people live the way they want to live that makes them happy. Sheesh...man has been living on both meat and vegetables for 1000's of years. I've never told a vegan they shouldn't be vegan. If people love animals..cool..do your thing and save animals, why involve everyone else if its not their thing. I personally think we have more important human issues to worry about, but hey if animal lovers think animals come first ,then so be it.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
these slaughter videos take the absolute worst things and blow them up so that it appears as if they are commonplace. there is another thread in which i stated my opinion on this matter, and i feel taht it will be relevant here, as well, so i'll copy it in just a moment. first, however, i'll discuss the propaganda spewed forth by PETA and the vegan movement (vegetarians, contrary to my own prior beliefs, are really amazing people, if a bit misguided).

first off, i won't deny that animal cruelty, in some cases sick animal cruelty, is a fact. it does occur, and i agree that it does need to be stopped. the problem occurs when groups like PETA and ALF harm other people, in many cases innocent of the actual cruelty themselves (one who knows about it but does not partcipate), in order to 'teach a lesson'.

yes, it's true that legal channels would be useless, as our nations beauracracy is a quickly sinking ship. yes, it's true that the only way to resolve an issue like this with urgency is dramatic action - however, they've taken the wrong actions.

when it's found that a particular farm or individual or laboratory is exceedingly cruel in its testing practices, they should first be subpoena'd and reported to the authorities. most communities treat animal cruelty with high priority. if the actions continue, legal action should be pursued - i understand full well that legal recourse takes months at times, but if you consider that the individual being prosecuted won't be able to commit the acts any further, then you're saving many future generations from further cruelty. in time, it would become evident that these practices are intolerable and will decrease in occurence.

as i stated in my previous diatribe on this matter (in the other thread), i understand but do not sympathize with 'terrorist' actions. something needs to be done, but think of the long term - harming other people and vandalizing property only causes to diminish your cause in the eyes of the public. you're ostracizing yourselves - this is not a war to be fought with weapons and propaganda (scare tactics, ala the slaughter videos and many of the photos circulated by peta in their pamphlets), it should be fought with truth and actual legislation. once it is seen that a valid effort is being made to stop cruelty (not the entirety of the meat-producing industry), then the public and the government will look on with a more sympathetic eye.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
here's the other post.

------------------------

here's my 2 cents. well, ok. 25 cents.

i have a weird tendency to date vegetarians - the kind who are all about animal rights. now, it used to be that i could give a damn about animals, they tasted good and they weren't me, so the hell with 'em.

turns out, i DO have a heart.

the way some of the animals are treated in some of the farms and labs is messed up. it should not be happening. i'm not going to stop eating meat, by any means, but if someone hands me a petition for better animal treatment (NOT some vegan agenda - vegans still piss me off) legislation, i would gladly sign it.

that being said, PETA is one of the absolute worst organizations out there. NAMBLA is worse. ALF is only slightly better (than PETA) in my opinion.

to be honest, i understand the tactics they use (so-called terrorism). in their eyes, they're sticking up for the little guy, and in todays world of beauracracy, it's almost impossible to get things done with words. i don't agree with what they're doing, but i understand it - it's an act of desperation, and they think they're doing the right thing.

the people i hate are the ones who treat humans as if they're less than the animals. certainly, we have more of a propensity for harm, but then we're the dominant lifeform and top of the food chain. while we have a lot of things to work out as a species, that doesn't mean that we're any worse, fundamentally, than animals. hell, we ARE animals.

my own personal belief is that we should be focusing on the treatment humans receive at the hands of other humans. there's enough horrid stuff going on between members of our own species that while yes, animal abuse is something to punish, we should be much more focused on resolving the ills humans bring upon one another.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Okay, so here's Claire's pie-in-the-sky Utopian ideals...

Animals and humans co-exist in unity and in harmony.
Humans treat each other with respect and kindness
Humans treat animals with respect and kindness

Why is that too much to ask?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
because that's not how nature works. we've discussed this in the other thread.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
LOL, ok... that doesn't mean I have to agree with you! Maybe someone else's opinion would enlighten me more.

I can't understand people who can sit back and accept suffering, whether it be Man, Woman, Child or Animal.

Why is it not part of Nature to treat animals with respect?

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Delta Alter]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
treating them with respect is fine, but when you're using something as food, i'd hardly call your relationship harmonious.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Well I think the relationship between the Native Americans and the Buffalo was pretty harmonious.
Yes, they were slaughtered, but they lived in their natural habitat in freedom.

The Native Americans utilised every part of the animal to ensure their survival - shelter, clothing, weaponry, everything. They respected and worshipped the beasts.

We hardly need Big Macs to ensure the survival of our species do we? You can get Man-made everything nowadays.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
hahaha, you're assuming that the world we live in CARES.

sorry, but big macs taste good, and they're convenient. the state of the human though process and our current societal model does not allow for animals to roam as freely as they once did, and people are so absorbed in their own day to day lives that convenience is the highest priority.

there is no way to get rid of the big mac any time soon. sorry.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Well if you are willing it accept that - fine.

I however am not.

Your attitude reminds me of a saying I once read:

"I couldn't care less about apathy."

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
so you're not going to accept the reality of the situation?

perhaps it's time for you to move to a third world country, where your ideals are still attainable. if you like living in a developed nation, you'd better get used to life the way it is. it's not ideal, but there's no way you're going to change it.

and if you're trying to say i'm the one who doesn't care, you need to check yourself. i've stated several times that i disagree with the way things are handled, i just don't fully agree with the extent of your viewpoint.

you're acting like the 'typical leftist'. stop it.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'm not trying to change the world. I try not to contribute to the problem.

You state that because of the way society has gone, convenience is peoples' top priority...not in my world.

I'm not just going with the flow because it is the easy option, and I'm certainly not changing my ideals because some bloke off a conspiracy website starts telling me to stop being such a Leftist.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
jesus f-ing christ dude. you're acting like i'm your enemy, and you've been doing it from the beginning. you're taking my context all wrong.

i was telling you what was wrong with your utopian world view because you asked. i was not telling you to change your viewpoint and your actions based on the world around you, i was simply stating that you will be unable to change society to believe things the way you see them. as you said...

Originally posted by Delta Alter
and I'm certainly not changing my ideals because some bloke off a conspiracy website...

that's the way society thinks too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join