It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the F-22 wasnt supposed to dogfight why was is it so maneuverable?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If you put external weapons on a F-22 it will lose it's stealth.

Therefor they are relying on it's internal 2 missiles, and being able to shoot in a dogfight up close.

Plus doesn't it have the first offensive laser for a jet fighter?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
MISSLE AVOIDENCE.> that is one reason you would want an aircraft to be highly manueverable

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
If you put external weapons on a F-22 it will lose it's stealth.

Therefor they are relying on it's internal 2 missiles, and being able to shoot in a dogfight up close.

Plus doesn't it have the first offensive laser for a jet fighter?

F-22 can carry internally 6 x AIM-120 plus 2 x AIM-9, that would be 8 air to air missiles. You can extend that using external weapons, but with reduced stealth capacity.

www.f22fighter.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I know they can carry them, I've never seen a pic of an F-22 with external missiles. Has anyone here seen one?

Anyways regarding the laser, if you were talking about the HELLADS, they can make a fighter sized 1 Kw laser, but in order for it to be effective, it needs to have a minimum of 150 Kw, and with that, it only has enough power to heat internal fuel/warhead to the point of detonation, it wont be cutting metal like something out of Star Wars. So, it's still Sci-fi tech. Give it a another 50 years, and we might see a capable weapon. In other words, it wont be on an F-22.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Here is a picture of an F-22 with external missiles:

en.wikipedia.org...:F-22_AIM-120.jpg

The maximum air to air missile load (internal + external) is 16

www.aerospaceweb.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kondor

Very nice picture, I'm really hoping at some point they show the F-22 with its maximum weapon load.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have spoken to an F-22 pilot on this matter and his answer to my question is basically very simple. Dogfighting isn't dead and never will be. Dogfighting is more of a last resort if there are no other options.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
MISSLE AVOIDENCE.> that is one reason you would want an aircraft to be highly manueverable

This. These days, a good number of enemy aircraft are utilizing long range missiles and all-weather long range airborne radar just like we are.

The Russian Zhuk-AE radar, for example, can track up to 60 targets at up to 200 kilometers away.
The Russian R-27 and R-77 Anti-Air missiles can engage targets over 150 kilometers away.

The AN/APG-77 radar being used in the F-22 Raptor has a range of approximately 240 kilometers and the aircraft has the added benefit of stealth technology. But that doesn't guarantee that it won't be engaged at long range.

But the AIM-120 AMRAAM only has a range of approximately 70 kilometers. The AIM-9 Sidewinder only has a range of 35 kilometers.

That is a significant disadvantage. Especially when the Russians and Chinese finish developing their their 5th generation fighters.

edit on 23-10-2011 by allenidaho because: Spelling

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join