It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain without the Union.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
What do you think it will be like in Britain if the Union broke up? how would we be govern? would we still keep the Monarchy? what would relations be like?. Its a subject i have been thinking about lately, i have read articles and theories that England would be the only country in the Union that could and would cope fine on its own. What do you think?

im looking forward to your replies.

(maybe this should be a sticky, if it becomes popular)

[edit on 4-6-2006 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
OH WHAT A JOY!!!
This would be brilliant i have no time whatsoever for the union!
The uk has always been self governing and has coped well, it has always had a good strong currency, and has done well in trading with other countries, the (uk) has and always been a good trading nation.

this country in NOT a''never ending pocket'' we have to stop spending money on the union and spend on developing on UK to allow our children to prosper.
(i think sminky well have different veiws to mine we he see's this ) hahahah hello sminky

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spymaster
OH WHAT A JOY!!!
This would be brilliant i have no time whatsoever for the union!
(i think sminky well have different veiws to mine we he see's this ) hahahah hello sminky

- Hmmm, I dunno about what you read in this sm but I thought infinite was talking about the UK breaking up, not the EU.

Frankly I think the same rational that sees great mutual value in the 'United Kingdom' as a political and commercial entity also applies in the wider context of the EU.

Anyhoo that's another issue.

Were the UK to break up (extremely unlikely IMO) I can imagine all 'the other nations' enthusiastically making sure they were still members of the EU.
Little Englanders mightn't be so enthused but whether or not they held the reins of power were such a disaster to befall the UK would remain to be seen (and quite how an England alone outside of the EU would be meant to survive is anyone's guess).

There is much sense in placing power and decision making 'closer to the ground' and with those actually affected by that power and decision making process so therefore I would very much support devolving power away from the centre as a matter of principle but that is a world away from wanting to see the union itself being dissolved.
I think it would be an appalling mistake.

[edit on 4-6-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Sminkey...i knew it wouldnt take you long to sniff this one out

and yes you are right i was under the impression that the original poster was talking about the EU and not the UK...my appologies to both sminkey and the original poster

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It'd be the worse thing for the Union.

Northern Ireland, would more than likely go back into an armed conflict.
Scotland would demand the oil from the North Sea, along with the gas.
Wales would demand rights to the coal mines.
England would loose the tax from oil, a large portion of its work-force that cross from Scotland or Wales would no longer be able to without the use of a passport system.

On and on and on.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
SNP still think the Union is dead and want out.

(but of, the large majority of Scotland do not support independence for economic reasons)

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Being a Scot myself, heres my 2 cents chipped in, The Union is on the verge breaken up, Scotland, N/Ireland and Wales have their own parliament/assembly.

Now there is a debate over weither or not any MP's from Scotland, Nn/Ireland or Wales should have a say in Westminster.

Can see this turning into a country versus country (Civil War) if we are not careful. Back to Queen Lizzy the 1sts age, before We were one Union.

History should tell us all that, or are most of us too blind by Nationalism... Tto see what is about to happen just around the corner.

As for the Oil and the Gas that would cause conflict to start off with...

The Monarchy Would stay in England. We do not want them in Scotland anyways

[edit on 3-7-2006 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
About North Sea oil, according to international law, its in English waters. But the oil is running out, so i dont know why its becoming an issuse.

North Sea oil was discovered in the early 1960s, with the first North Sea oil coming on line in 1971 and being piped ashore at Teesside, England

Anyone read the editorial in the independent yesterday? it raised a good point. Scotland would never vote to leave the Union, they get too much support from England and majority like the idea of a Union with England. The problem is this. England has the power to break the Union (which is looking likely), we are the ones who give the most to it. England has always felt cheated by it (even though Scotland plays the victim) and with Scottish MPs voting on our "English matters", its creating tension.

The media has played a big part in this. The whole "anti-England" in Scotland has awoken the majority of English nationalist, I would even go as far to say that the media is making the gap between Scotland and England much larger and deeper.

My idea, radical as it may seem, is to create a federal Union in Britian. We all have our own parliament and a national senate to over see national issuses. With, of course, a President as head of state.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   

My idea, radical as it may seem, is to create a federal Union in Britian. We all have our own parliament and a national senate to over see national issuses. With, of course, a President as head of state

And who would you have as a President? Tony Blair, or President Cameron....?

The day the UK splits up, all hell will break loose and you know it Infinite.

SNP still think the Union is dead and want out.

The SNP is only one party out of numerous others in Scotland, Not the majority of people in Scotland support their stance, past elections should tell us that.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
You guys are thinking of braking up? Perhaps violently? I knew there was dissatisfaction in Scotland and Ireland and Wales (I think), but I didn't know that this was a possibility. You guys need to stay strong though and cannot succumb to civil war, there are too many world issues right now that must be dealt with.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
What you have to remember is that there are loyalist's in Scotland and Northern Ireland who have sworn loyality to the British Crown. If there was a break up it would lead to an almighty mess.

Any how, soon we'll have a King on the throne who's directly decended from the House of Stuart so we'll have a part Scottish King on the Throne. And we also have to remember that theres a Scot's PM in charge just now, and the next one looks likely to be a Scot as well....

'O Flower O' Scotland, when will we see your likes again, who fought and died for his wee bit hill and glen..'''

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yeah but old Lizzie is a german

Saxe-coberg-gotha- witten or whatever her real name is

Away with you Adolf

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
and all of us 'true English' men wil probably have been from Europe too....

[edit on 19-8-2006 by Peyres]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Split it. make it seperate countries, and let the welsh and scots fend for them selves.

That way, we get rid of the scottish mafia thats sat in westminster destroying England from within. Never in history has there been such a corrosive and destructive group of people in power as sat in 10 downing street today.

Let England rule itself, let wales rule itself, and then let blair and all his cronies bleat at the border with no say what so ever in the running of England.
Actually, if wales wants to keep its connection to England that would be nice, as the welsh are real nice people and the countries pretty....Oh hang on though....Neil kinnock any one??

England free of Blairs sycopanthic corruption would be a blissful place indeed. Whilst were at it, lets split totaly from the EU as well. Then, I would rest easy in my old age if this came to be.

[edit on 21-8-2006 by D4rk Kn1ght]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I will say this first out of curteousy that I show that is not often shown in vice versa situations with the United States. I am an American and I acknowledge that I do not have as good an understanding of the govermental body of the UK as it's citizens would have so take my opinion for whats worth and excuse the errors.

Personally I feel that the UK is stronger as one nation than splitting itself up into England, Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland. Strategically you are definately stronger as the UK. I also feel that you should consider the historical significance of the United Kingdom.

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Either the union broke up, the first thing we would do, is run and knock on the EU door to make sure we have membership and the money. We cannot offered to cope on our own.

Edn

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
There is one other thing your missing. Water. England doesn't have enough of it. There have even been talks about shipping water from Scotland to London to solve the drought problems they have there.

I'm also fairly sure if we did split up we would continue to be part of the EU, I know Scotland has a Scottish Executive EU Office in Brussles so separating the UK into individual EU memberhsips wouldnt be that hard a simple change in paper work.

I don't think its likely though that we would split up any time soon, we rely on eachother to much, England cant survive without Scotland and Scotland cant survive without England and we would both be in the drain if we didn't have the Welsh to make fun of. :p

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
England free of Blairs sycopanthic corruption would be a blissful place indeed. Whilst were at it, lets split totaly from the EU as well. Then, I would rest easy in my old age if this came to be.
[edit on 21-8-2006 by D4rk Kn1ght]

Umm gee thanks...
Nice to see the whole we have a great support for the union across the border funny enough I dont see this down south when I'm talking to people in newcastle but I suppose the south of england is more radical than the north.

You do know scotland isnt exsactly proud of Mr Blair and his choices right? ie the regiment of scotland.

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It's not a matter of whose dependent on each other anyway, UK is one country that works well. Sure there are different sections that make jokes about each other but what would be the point of splitting them apart? Can you imagine the problems that would occur at the borders?

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I think if there ever was a break up of the Union it would be transitional. The problem with today is that the media is hyping the national divides up. I think we should all be a bit more national, for example, we should all have our own national anthems.

I was at the Edinburgh Tattoo last week and the national anthem was played, only a portion of the audience applauded and it put the end of the show on a downer. Having to rise to listen to that rubbish god save the queen is a nightmare and it showed.

Each country in the union has its own history and we should embrace our heritage more.

I for one wouldn't mind Scotland becoming indepandent, it would interesting to see the changes taking place. Plus we all know Scotland's the place to be

How Scotland Was Created

At the beginning of time God was discussing the creation of the world with the Angel Gabriel. Leaning back in His golden throne, He told him of His plans for Scotland.

"Gabriel", said God. "I am going to give Scotland towering mountains and magnificent glens, resplendent with purple heather. Red deer will roam the countryside, golden eagles will circle in the skies, salmon will leap in the crystal clear rivers and lochs and the surrounding seas will team with fish. Agriculture will flourish and there will be a glorious coming together of water with barley to be known as whisky.

Coal, oil and gas - all will there. The Scots will be intelligent, innovative, industrious and....."

"Wait a minute!" interrupted Gabriel. "Are you not being just a wee bit too generous to these Scots?"

But the Almighty replied, "Not really. Wait until you see the b******* I've put below them!!!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join